Game of Hope Lenormand

gregory

I'd have read that as referring to the cards rejigged by Cirom, myself. It says licensed for publication under x name and so on.

I'd rather hear from the British Museum before taking any position, though.

nicky

Perhaps the more people who can obtain the deck with a friendlier price can be part of the dream of restoring the spiritual dignity of Tarot...or Lenormand in this case...

Debra

Compared photos from the Museum, the site posted by Tag_jorrit, the TP deck.

I see differences. For example, the Lady's dress near her fan, the amount and location of stains/darkness on the blank backgrounds of others.

cirom

Lets hope this doesn't become a where's Waldo search for every stain and mark. The idea wasn't to modify or improve. But to extend the image to include bleed and resurrect areas that had been crudely cropped over the years. But in doing do so also preserve the character of this aged deck, warts and all. And hopefully to do so in as unobtrusive manner as possible. I guess that's out the window now.

gregory

I have no idea what the "truth" here is (there may indeed by some middle ground none of us have grasped) - which is why I would like a "ruling" by the Museum ! But when someone refuses to show a licence they have - well, it is a little like in court, where a refusal to answer can be taken to imply guilt. I wish that hadn't happened. This is NOT a trial.

But Cirom - before this does degenerate - you did do a really nice job on them. I don't need another copy, or I'd buy one of these to compare the cleaning up side, but you did !

Nina*

I have no idea what the "truth" here is (there may indeed by some middle ground none of us have grasped) - which is why I would like a "ruling" by the Museum ! But when someone refuses to show a licence they have - well, it is a little like in court, where a refusal to answer can be taken to imply guilt. I wish that hadn't happened.

She hasn't refused to show it by any means. Just hasn't done it yet.

Nina*

Oh... and this actually isn't a court (although some seem to think it is). :D

gregory

Oh... and this actually isn't a court (although some seem to think it is). :D

No, I do know. I just mentioned the presumption of guilt thing to point out that the easiest way is simply to show the licence in the first place. YES, absolutely the OP has no obligation to show it. Fair enough. I just would have done so, in their place. It saves so much time.

I'm out, anyway. I have no idea of the basis to all this, but I'd like to know, is all. For everyone's protection.

starlightexp

Did anyone ask TP to show their license ? When they started to sell more then the 250 copies that they were originally saying it was going to be did people yell out SHOW ME THE LICENSE? Some people did ask about that and they were shot down by the fanboys saying how amazing TP was and not to pick on them. Now someone points a finger and says "WITCH!" and we are going right along with them as telling them they need to prove themselves before they can be innocent. I'm not saying that one seller is right over the other but rather then get the FULL story both sides seam to be going off a little half cocked.

gregory

Did anyone ask TP to show their license ? When they started to sell more then the 250 copies that they were originally saying it was going to be did people yell out SHOW ME THE LICENSE? Some people did ask about that and they were shot down by the fanboys saying how amazing TP was and not to pick on them. Now someone points a finger and says "WITCH!" and we are going right along with them as telling them they need to prove themselves before they can be innocent. I'm not saying that one seller is right over the other but rather then get the FULL story both sides seam to be going off a little half cocked.
I am NOT calling ANYONE witch - not in relation to either deck. And I THINK I have actually probably seen the TP licence - they certainly showed us their licences for some of their things at TarotCon last year - which was where I bought my copy. I can't say I cared enough to look at the detail at the time...

I don't think TP are "amazing", by the way; Tali knows that - she has had several earfuls from me when I disagreed with them about a number things, and so (in spades and even more so) has Marcus. }) It is just so much easier when things are all up front - as you say yourself !

debra has already pointed out differences between the two decks - that's great information. My eyesight isn't as good as hers.