New Deck I'm working on...

novavita

It's lovely!

Grizabella

Thanks for the compliment! I definitely agree with you about the insets, they need something to bring them down in intensity but when I make them the tanish color they dont pop out enough, maybe I can tea stain some cards and scan them in or something.

I really love this Lenormand! Good work!

The card insets look fine to me. They're small and in a place on the card where I think if they weren't white they wouldn't stand out. Lenormands are read much faster than Tarot, so you want to easily find your cues when you're looking at each card in a group. If the card inserts were in a more usual place---top and center---I think then it would be better to make them less white. But they should still be small, I think. When I read Lenormand I don't read the card inserts but I know others do.

blackroseivy

Aha, I've recognized 2 of your images! One (The Child) is from My Bookhouse Books (a publication which I was at one point working on an oracle deck from), and the other (The Rider) is from John Gilpin's Ride by Andrew Caldecott. I have a copy of that which is in my books for sale! Love this kind of Golden Age of Illustration imagery (I even have a beautiful picture book by that name)!

danielnogo

I really love this Lenormand! Good work!

The card insets look fine to me. They're small and in a place on the card where I think if they weren't white they wouldn't stand out. Lenormands are read much faster than Tarot, so you want to easily find your cues when you're looking at each card in a group. If the card inserts were in a more usual place---top and center---I think then it would be better to make them less white. But they should still be small, I think. When I read Lenormand I don't read the card inserts but I know others do.

Hey sorry I took so long to respond I kinda forgot about this thread for a second lol. Thanks I'm glad you like the deck! I'm abouyt halfway through the cards so far so I should have them all done in less than 3 months, I'm thinking i'm going to publish them through gamecrafter, even though I'd really like the ability to offer a special edition with a box that looks like an old childrens book. The insets are actually already a greyish color, when I made it all the way grey, it just did not look good, maybe I need to change the color of the actual symbols on the cards to make it mesh better. I'll experiment a bit, I'm loving making a deck. I have an oracle deck in the works as well as this deck, the oracle deck is going to be 100% original imagery instead of 100 year old books lol.

Speaking of being able to read quickly thats kind of my whole plan with this deck, almost no backgrounds just the symbol itself on some parchment paper that looks old, makes it stand out big time, even though some cards its been a serious challenge to find an image for it. Have had to make custom old timey drawings for this.

danielnogo

Aha, I've recognized 2 of your images! One (The Child) is from My Bookhouse Books (a publication which I was at one point working on an oracle deck from), and the other (The Rider) is from John Gilpin's Ride by Andrew Caldecott. I have a copy of that which is in my books for sale! Love this kind of Golden Age of Illustration imagery (I even have a beautiful picture book by that name)!
Lol I hope you dont beat me to the punch! lol, thatd be like wearing the same dress to a party as you! haha just kidding.

I too LOVE this imagery in these old books, the artist were masters, and they didn't take any shortcuts.

What do you guys think of this new coffin card?

annabel398

Love the illustration choices and the typeface... Would you consider removing those shadows, though? They are inconsistently placed from one card to the next, the grey really doesn't blend well with the warm background, and on at least one card, the shadow actually emphasizes a not-quite-perfectly cropped image.

I'm a Photoshop maven myself so I know how painstaking this kind of work is... Please do show us some without the shadows and let's see how they work.

(I think the drop shadow on the card inset is contributing to the excessive "pop," too...)

Reiterating, I do love the illos (and I vote to keep the spirals on the backgrounds!)

danielnogo

Love the illustration choices and the typeface... Would you consider removing those shadows, though? They are inconsistently placed from one card to the next, the grey really doesn't blend well with the warm background, and on at least one card, the shadow actually emphasizes a not-quite-perfectly cropped image.

I'm a Photoshop maven myself so I know how painstaking this kind of work is... Please do show us some without the shadows and let's see how they work.

(I think the drop shadow on the card inset is contributing to the excessive "pop," too...)

Reiterating, I do love the illos (and I vote to keep the spirals on the backgrounds!)

Do you mean the shadows that I put under the coffin or the shadows under the text and insets? BTW with the cross image I did clean up the edge so that you could only see the cross.

danielnogo

Hey everyone! Long haitus where I didnt have access to my computer, but I'm back in the game!

Heres the dog:

d2MBVNZ.png

danielnogo

Heres the bear, I LOVE this card!

q31WFWn.png

Nina*

I love them all. Keep up the good work! :)