Lenormand deck

Helruna

catlin said:
Hi Helruna,

Mery Meet and Welcome here! Yes, the Revival cards I was talking about are the ones by Windpferd. How do you like them? I only have seen one tiny picture of them in a catalogue and could not make up my mind to get them or not.

Hello and Merry Meet Catlin!!

Nice to meet you. So, I did guess right on the Revival cards. :)

How I like them? The artwork is a bit comic book like, like sketches. It is not ugly, but a bit playful. I had another 54 card deck, but I lost it during my moves (grief) that I liked better. I cannot recall who published this Lenormand, so I can give you noe clue on them.

I like the Windpferd one, although I am a bit hesitant about the book. It is not bad, but somehow I would like to see more information also on the different astrological, numerological, geomancy parts of the deck. The author gives her interpretation on the general meaning, in relation to relationships/partnerships, self-discovery and backgrounds, conflicts, hopes and fears, and what is remarkable about the card.

The other deck gave more information on the astrological, numerological, geomancy parts of the cards, which I miss a bit in this deck.

Have you checked for other versions? I know that the other deck was only a card set with a relatively small LWB, like Tarot decks usually have, but it was informative, although too little to be helpful for me back then to start reading it, as the 54 cards are very indepth! I intend on learning more about them though. I am looking for another book on them to give me further insights and information. Probably, I will have to find the info myself. But, oh well, there is its advantage in learning by yourself and digging it up yourself too. :)

BB,
Helruna

Lee

Hi Diana, I have two books which show a Mme. Lenormand spread which is slightly different than the one we've been discussing here. Both these books are playing-card books. "The Fortune Teller's Deck" by Jane Lyle has a spread she calls "Madame Lenormand's Nines," in which 36 cards are laid out in four rows of nine. Since this is a regular playing card deck, the 2 of Hearts is used as a significator. Each of the 36 positions are given a definition - for example, the first nine positions are Current Projects, Satisfaction, Success, Hopes, Risk and Speculation, Desire, Challenges, Adversaries, and Acquaintances and Associates.

Then, there are specific divinatory meanings given for each suit which falls in each position. In other words, it doesn't matter which card of the suit turns up -- you only go by the position and the suit that appears in it. For example, the meanings for position 1, Current Projects, are:

Diamonds - beware envious colleagues, but success will come in the end.
Clubs - a loyal friend will help you gain success.
Hearts - success.
Spades - considerable delays should be allowed for.

Those cards falling close to the significator are said to be pressing concerns.

The same spread shows up in "Fortune Telling with Playing Cards" by Sophia. However, the spread is called the Master Spread with no mention of Mme. Lenormand. Here the cards are laid out in six rows of six. The position names are mostly the same but occasionally vary. Sophia doesn't mention the use of a significator.

-- Lee

Mlle Lenormand

I've been using the spread with all the cards, but also use them with tarot spreads too.

For a timeline spread, I use a circle with two cards on each month, after dealing them, I will place further cards on any month the querent or myself feels need more explanation or detail.

Diana

I've learned more in this thread than in the books I've read!

All has been printed out, and the next time I spend a lazy day down at the lake, it'll be with my Lenormand cards and all your info!

catlin

Hi Helruna,

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll have a chance to order the Revival cards to have a peep at them. I hate buying decks without having a closer look at them.

I had a wonderful pocket LeNormand deck called the "Astrologische LeNormand Karten" but I lost this one (can't recall when and where, maybe also on a move). I really loved these cards as they were so beautiful and much more interesting than the standard pocket LeNormand. I hope I'll get this deck somewhere again.

Helruna

catlin said:
Hi Helruna,

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll have a chance to order the Revival cards to have a peep at them. I hate buying decks without having a closer look at them.

I had a wonderful pocket LeNormand deck called the "Astrologische LeNormand Karten" but I lost this one (can't recall when and where, maybe also on a move). I really loved these cards as they were so beautiful and much more interesting than the standard pocket LeNormand. I hope I'll get this deck somewhere again.

"Astrologische LeNormand Kartne" - I might be mistaken, but I think I've seen them at Amazon? Or were they with the ones they didn't sell/carry no more? I go and check it out. I found out what other Grand Lenormand card deck I had seen once and who the author is:

Erna Droesbeke (hope spelled her name right)

But I cannot find them at Amazon.de. Perhaps ask your local bookstore about it. I have seen them last year in Frankfurt (but dummie me didn't get them). I think I'll go and visit my local German bookstore probably next week. :)

Yeah, I hate buying deck without being able to really have a look at the cards before purchasing them too. I had one or two times when I got something that looked neat on the outside, but most of the cards didn't appeal to me that much - aggrivating.

BB,
Helruna

Lee

Now I'm all intrigued with Lenormand cards, and I haven't even received my Titania Fortune cards yet (which as I wrote above are based on the Lenormand cards).

I've been doing some searching, and unfortunately there don't seem to be any books in English about Lenormand cards.

I did find a website that shows several different Lenormand decks that are available, with some card scans. This is a page which Google translated from French, so the English isn't the best, but at least it shows what the cards look like. When it says "charts," that's a misinterpretation for "cards."

-- Lee

Mlle Lenormand

Lee: I'm sort of glad that I couldn't find a book on these cards because I have used my intuition more and enjoyed the experience, rather than worry about the deeper meanings of the cards.

I just started out looking at the little booklet and then finding a couple of websites and went from there.

I have experimented with different spreads and made my own which I would not have done if I thought that I had to do it by the book.

I felt very much at home with these cards compared to the original RW deck (which I subsequently gave away). I now use the Hudes deck as well, but the Lenormand deck is my favourite.

Lee

I received my Tatiana's Fortune Cards deck. These are modern-looking cards which are based on the Lenormand symbolism. They come with a book, comparable to Llewellyn's Mini-Kit books, which is fairly well-written and approachable. Book and cards are beatifully packaged in a shiny gold box which opens like a book, and the cards have a separate box for them.

Unfortunately the cards are hideous. A photographic negative of the object, animal or person is placed against a solid-color background. The photographs are colored in garish monochromatic colors. The cards have a trippy '60s feel but really aren't very attractive. They might make a nice change, though, if you like Lenormand cards and want something with the same symbolism but a different look.

Tatiana's method of reading doesn't use fixed card positions. Instead, she reads card sequences and combinations like a sentence. To do a "full reading," she lays out three rows of three cards, in a square pattern, and reads the vertical and horizontal rows. Then she takes each card and uses it as the basis for a new layout which uses *all* the cards, so you do this second layout nine times, one for each card in the original layout. It's not as cumbersome as it sounds, because you're looking at bunches of cards together, not really at each card individually.

-- Lee

catlin

I'd rather sugest the "Astrologische LeNormand Karten" (look at www.tarotwelten.de - Orakeldecks) for those interested in a change to Standard Lenormand cards. They are really beautiful, so pl don't waste your precious bucks on Hardie stuff.