"What is Tarot?" for Hindus

Dain

Hi people! :)

I am a Hindu tarot reader (okay no, student) from India, and I don't see why anybody should have any hesitation...

...anyway I just thought of sharing this :)

Your entire post was very enlightening, Girl Archer. Although I wasn't the one asking the original question, I found it very informative and interesting. Particularly what you said about similar concepts in the Fool's Journey and achieving moksha.

firecatpickles

I would be very surprised if a person from India didn't know about tarot. British colonization brought many ideas from the West; for instance, Vedic astrology is still rooted in the 18th century Western version, but since then has taken a life of its own.

If you'd like I can ask a coworker about tarot in India. You've got my curiosity piqued now :)

Debra

When I read for my Hindu neighbor, he saw the Rider-Waite Hierophant and saw Rama.

Girl Archer

When I read for my Hindu neighbor, he saw the Rider-Waite Hierophant and saw Rama.

Huh, that is pretty interesting. What deck was this? Usually people go with Guru/ Brihaspati and the Empress with Devi/ Shakti (supreme feminine energy) and lots more if you really care to look. I think Sacred India Tarot might have it covered, although I find some of their attributions a bit confusing. Like the dark spin on Kali, for example. She is a destroyer of evil, but she is also a bringer of Light.

Girl Archer

Your entire post was very enlightening, Girl Archer. Although I wasn't the one asking the original question, I found it very informative and interesting. Particularly what you said about similar concepts in the Fool's Journey and achieving moksha.

Thanks Dain! :)

Debra

Girl Archer, it's the Rider-Waite. He got the Hierophant, I started talking about the meaning of the card, he picked it up and said, "To me this looks like the god Ram" and off he went talking. I am convinced he iwas exactly right about what that card meant in the reading for him, too. Those others didn't come up.

Girl Archer

Girl Archer, it's the Rider-Waite. He got the Hierophant, I started talking about the meaning of the card, he picked it up and said, "To me this looks like the god Ram" and off he went talking. I am convinced he iwas exactly right about what that card meant in the reading for him, too. Those others didn't come up.

that's interesting. I will definitely go take another look at the card and see if I can also get what your neighbor was talking about :)

Debra

Here it is. I can see how this could represent a lot of different "priestly" characters.

Attachments

• RWS_Tarot_05_Hierophant.jpg
    RWS_Tarot_05_Hierophant.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 92

Francesca

Girl Archer, your post is very interesting and extremely helpful! I guess I am a little nervous because of some perceived (on my part) cultural divide. Also, when I read for the couple they were not familiar with the Tarot or Tarot readings at all.

Well, I will just go and read the cards since that is what I do and what I really enjoy.

Thank you all for your help and answers. I feel much more prepared now.

Francesca

Girl Archer

Girl Archer, your post is very interesting and extremely helpful! I guess I am a little nervous because of some perceived (on my part) cultural divide. Also, when I read for the couple they were not familiar with the Tarot or Tarot readings at all.

Well, I will just go and read the cards since that is what I do and what I really enjoy.

Thank you all for your help and answers. I feel much more prepared now.

Francesca

GO Francesca! Go, and enjoy yourself :) and I am glad you found my tidbits interesting.