The Wild Unknown Tarot - The Hermit IX

Sulis

Everyone who has this deck seems to love this depiction of The Hermit archetype... It just seems so right.

Such a simple image, yet so powerful...
A tortoise has retreated into his shell and peers out towards the reader. He sits in darkness apart from the oil light, balancing on top of his shell. The flame in the light is the only splash of colour in this card.

The Hermit archetype is common in most of the World's cultures. This is the spiritual seeker who takes himself away from society and it's temptations to look within and continue on his spiritual journey alone.
The Hermit is a seeker of wisdom and enlightenment but he's also a teacher and a guide... Many folk and fairy stories have an encounter with a wise old man or woman who lives alone in the forest or mountains. The hero of the tale usually encounters this person when they are feeling particularly lost and alone and the hermit character helps them and guides them on their way, usually by getting the hero to look within themselves for the answers.

So The Hermit is alone but not necessarily lonely. He has chosen to live the way that he does and it's part of his own spiritual quest.
He's often depicted as an old, old man or woman so the tortoise fits very well with that image since tortoises live to a very, very old age, they are slow and lumbering and even when they aren't particularly old, they look aged.
This tortoise has retreated into his shell, he's chosen to remove himself from society yet his light burns as a beacon to other spiritual travellers...

I'd love to hear what others have to say about this card.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,354

lark

I love all you have said above Sulis, always love you posts!
One little addition and a personal observation on the meaning of this card is that sometimes the teacher aspect is reluctant.
It is like the old teacher, content in his study, and the student rushes in with a question and he sighs and reluctantly looks away from his book to answer.
It isn't a teaching that comes spoutuing out, easily accessable, you have to seek it and weddle it out of him.
If he could roll over and knock the lamp off his back I think he would...but we all know what happens to a turtle on it's back.
So it's there to stay...a light that says* ALL QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE*
And in little print...if you can get me out of my shell to answer them.

Sulis

I love all you have said above Sulis, always love you posts!
One little addition and a personal observation on the meaning of this card is that sometimes the teacher aspect is reluctant.
It is like the old teacher, content in his study, and the student rushes in with a question and he sighs and reluctantly looks away from his book to answer.
It isn't a teaching that comes spouting out, easily accessible, you have to seek it and wheedle it out of him.
If he could roll over and knock the lamp off his back I think he would...but we all know what happens to a turtle on it's back.
So it's there to stay...a light that says* ALL QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE*
And in little print...if you can get me out of my shell to answer them.

I really like that and yes, you can imagine that if you came across a hermit in real life that he may well be reluctant to be your teacher and guide... You've just interrupted his solitude, the solitude that he's gone to quite a lot of effort to maintain...

Great thoughts - as usual ;), thanks Lark :).

Winterchild

Hermit - Merlin and Arthur

I really like that and yes, you can imagine that if you came across a hermit in real life that he may well be reluctant to be your teacher and guide... You've just interrupted his solitude, the solitude that he's gone to quite a lot of effort to maintain...

Great thoughts - as usual ;), thanks Lark :).

I am not sure if you know the legends of King Arthur and his teacher Merlin, but your description of the Hermit Lark and Sullis was very reminiscent of this legend.

.Merlin had to come out of years of hiding and solitude to teach the young king, and he was often extremely reluctant. The best book I read on the Arthurian story was TH White's Once and Future King, znd he also wrote a book all about Merlin.

Starshower

Yes, I agree with everything posted above. I love this card! This Hermit is the polar opposite of the shrieking, hysteria-raising egotist that is all too often the American TV evangelist / preacher / 'leader'. No trace of 'performance' or fakery or narcissism here! Just simple example and quiet presence.

Even more than tarot Hermits in other decks, this fellow externally shows how cut-off from others he has chosen to be. Yet he can peep out and engage with seekers following his light if & when he wishes.
That very choice is shown beautifully by his shell, & his ability to put his head out of it ... or retreat completely inwards. It reminds me of our personal CHOICE at any time about how much or how little of ourselves we want & need to reveal; how much or how little we want to engage with others.
I love his quiet confidence and air of self-containment and peace.

Pixna

I wish I had more to add to what everybody has already said, but I think you covered it so well -- thank you!

What better representation of the Hermit than a turtle? He's seems ancient, even as a baby, and lives an extremely long time. He has a crusty, hard exterior, but inside he is soft, tender, and vulnerable. He has set up a brilliant way to protect himself and remain the recluse that he is. And yet he keeps his light on, shining brightly. He will share his wisdom with others and peek out of his shell only if and when he chooses to. He is lumbering, slow, and deliberate -- the perfect example of mindfulness in all that he does.

I adore this image of the Hermit. The Hermit is one of my birth cards, and this is the first deck that has an image of the Hermit that I can relate to. I saw him and thought I was looking at a mirror image of my spirit. :)

Sulis

Thanks Pixna, your post really made me smile because you said you had nothing to add and then you added some great insights :).
Pixna said:
He has a crusty, hard exterior, but inside he is soft, tender, and vulnerable. He has set up a brilliant way to protect himself and remain the recluse that he is. And yet he keeps his light on, shining brightly. He will share his wisdom with others and peek out of his shell only if and when he chooses to. He is lumbering, slow, and deliberate -- the perfect example of mindfulness in all that he does.

Love this :).