"Thou Shalt Not Make Graven Images"

firemaiden

Everytime I see the title of this thread on my in-box I read it as Thou Shalt not make "craven" images.

Craven images. :D I like it better :D

prudence

firemaiden said:
Everytime I see the title of this thread on my in-box I read it as Thou Shalt not make "craven" images.

Craven images. :D I like it better :D
Thanks, Firemaiden, you've given me a perfect User Title, craven idolator. It was idolator, all by itself, but I think adding the "craven" is going to make it pop. :D

Niclas

If you accept that commandment as valid for you, something you ought to or want to follow, it will not hinder you to use the tarot - as others pointed out, the meaning is very clearly expressed as not to make something to worship, an idol.

It may, however, well influence on how you work with the tarot - no problem if you consider it as

Baroli52 said:
(...) pieces of paper, nothing more or less. They are tools to help unlock that part of the mind that is intuitive. (...)

Also no problem if you decide to

Indigo Rose said:
(..) use Tarot to ask questions of the Lord....but remembering it is from GOD which the answers come.(...)

On the other hand, there is a way to "worship" the tarot that is not compatible with following the bible. The lady who once kindly introduced me to the tarot had a way of talking to her deck that I can only describe as praying: adressing it, asking it for guidance, praising it for its wisdom.
Also, some descriptions and questions about storing and (spiritually) cleansing the tarot seem to show that there are ways to understand the tarot and to deal with it that I for myself probably would find to be incompatible with my path, my beliefs.

Thus in my understanding the question is not IF, but HOW I should use the tarot if I want to stay true to what I believe. And that probably is something everyone has to find out and decide about, regardless of which - if any - religios beliefs they have: How do I understand this tool, how do I want to use it, what does it mean to me.

zach bender

talking with the deck

Alhtough I have no particular belief in the paranormal, including the idea of a sentient creator, I do think it is useful in reading the cards to suspend belief on the question whether there is some kind of universal wisdom with which you are using the cards to communicate. Does not have to be an individual consciousness, though you might, for example, imagine that you yourself have a higher awareness of which you are mostly unconscious, and which does not itself act directly in what we think of as the daily world -- your human awareness, a lower level of awareness, is doing that. Using the word "self" advisedly.

zb

Amythyst

Since I'm not Jewish or Christian, I don't abide by the ten commandments or the religious doctrines associated with them. I see what you mean, though. For people who do abide by these codes of behavior, reading tarot cards does seem contradictory. Now I'm curious myself as to how they put all this in perspective.

Just a note...Even though I don't abide by the ten commandments, there's a couple in there that seem like pretty good advice. You know, the "not killing anyone", "not lying", etc. The Wiccan rede, "Do what ye will, and harm none" pretty much covers it.