"Tarot Day" Vote #2 :: The Run-Off

Vote for Your "Tarot Day" Run-Off Choice

• February 10: 1st time tarot is mentioned in history w/ optional "Tarot Week" ending on PCS' b-day

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • July 22: Feast Day of the Magdalene, Patron St. of Gypsy Fortune-Tellers

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • May 25: "World Tarot Day", Feast of the Black Madonna, Patron St. of the Gypsies

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grizabella

I should have read more carefully. I like the Black Madonna day better.

The reason I'm in favor of one of the holidays associated with Gypsies is that the average person in the public associates Tarot with Gypsies and even if history buffs and those who don't like being associated with fortune telling don't like it, it's still a fact. Even if someone who wasn't a Gypsy first used Tarot for divination, the Gypsies obviously took the idea and ran with it, if I'm not mistaken. (Wearing my bullet proof vest on that one because I'm not a historian. :p )

I think having a Tarot day celebration where there were gatherings of Tarot readers all in one place would show the public the versatility and the truth about the art. The costumed Gypsy types telling fortunes mixed in with all the other genres of readers would draw the public and then seeing the rest of the genres would be a great education for the public, don't you think?

As for how would we celebrate it, why not have gatherings or festivals where the public was welcome and could get one free in-depth reading and find educational materials---books, history speakers, decks for sale, etc.--? As for how to tell someone had already had a free reading, an indelible stamp would work, maybe? I think it's a great idea. How else would we be able to dispel myths and bring Tarot more into the mainstream? I think it would be great for readers because it would increase business during the rest of the year.

prudence

A dilemma....should I vote based on what my local weather may be in a given month...or should I go with the historical date?

hmm, I will leave it up to a coin toss. :D

Mabuse

How to celebrate?

I think a Renaissance Fair like function would be most suitable.

firecatpickles

I can't believe it is almost time for our First Annual Tarot Week!