A Good Book On Herbology?

Dogs&Coffee

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a good reference volume on herbs and plants, their medicinal uses, and spiritual uses and correlations.

Can anyone recommend a good book?

BodhiSeed

Just glanced at the bookshelf and found these:

Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
Growing 101 Herbs That Heal (Hartung)
The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal (Hoffman)
Home Herbal (Ody)

These were all bought quite a few years ago, though some may have been republished. :)

violetdaisy

I'm sure there are plenty of reference books for that but I came across something from Lewellen - they have a kind of yearly almanac of herbs - I'm definitely getting the 2018 when it comes out (has stuff to do in the fall)

celticnoodle

I have and love "The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy" by Valerie Ann Worwood. You can find this book new for under $20.00 American. I've seen it for sale used - for less then $5.00 American.

Ruby Jewel

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a good reference volume on herbs and plants, their medicinal uses, and spiritual uses and correlations.

Can anyone recommend a good book?

This is a very broad spectrum here. I'll break it down into more manageable categories and you can look them up to see what works for you

If you want to create/write herbal remedies:

"Medicinal Herbalism" by David Hoffmann

"The Herbal Medicine-Makers Handbook" by James Green (for preparing the medicinal herbs)

Books with herbal recipes:

"School of Natural Healing" by Dr. John R. Christopher
"Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health" by Rosemary Gladstar
"The Way of Herbs" by Michael Tierra

For aromatherapy and essential oils, which includes making lotions and creams

"The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy" by Valerie Ann Wormwood
"The Aromatherapy Book" by Jeanne Rose

banbha

There have already been some great recommendations, but the Grandmother of them all is A Modern Herbal by Mrs. Margaret Grieves. It's best for traditional folkloric uses, stories, and associations (some of the medicinal uses are out of date!). If you're growing an herbal library it's a fun one to have.

For spiritual and healing uses of herbs and trees, I love Opening Our Wild Hearts to the Healing Herbs by Gail Faith Edwards and the books of Rosemary Gladstar.

What other spiritual/herbal connections were you looking for? Because there is the Wise Woman Way with books by Susan Weed, the Wiccan way with books by Scott Cunningham or Ayurveda medicine...which I don't know very much about.

earthair

Viridarium Umbris (verrry expensive but worth it)
The Green Mysteries (due out soon)
and
Thirteen Pathways of Occult Herbalism (pre-order now from Amazon)
-all 3 by Daniel Schulke

The companion book that goes with the Herbal Tarot

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs

Herbal Drugs and Phytopharmaceuticals - Bisset