78 Weeks: Queen of Cups

jmd

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

cartarum

queen of cups

a psychic, a woman who is emotional, and flirty
reversed, shes a complete slut, and or vain and emotionally unstable.

CreativeFire

Queen of Cups

For my study / thoughts of the Queen of Cups this week, I have used a slightly different approach in that instead of focusing on a particular deck or card I have tried to think more about the personality that she may represent, who she is and how she would react to life's situations.

My first thoughts about her would be that she has a caring, loving nature, gentle and in touch with her feminine intuition. She may make decisions based more on her feelings (or the feelings of others), rather than logic or facts. Heart rules the head. Listens to her inner voice, open to psychic senses, quiet and patient.

In a family situation she may be the mother with unlimited unconditional love for her children and partner. Aware and reactive to the feelings and emotions of her family around her. In a work environment she would be the caring co-worker and peacemaker. As a friend she would be the one that instinctively knows that something is wrong even before you say anything. Reaches out to heal and help, compassionate and understanding without being judgemental.

CreativeFire

Major Tom

I'm well and truely behind schedule...

...but the study continues even when the posting doesn't.

My study involves spending time with as many different versions of the Tarot of Marseilles as I can find. I currently own 6 versions and find 2 others on line. My aim with my study is to draw my own version of the Tarot of Marseilles depicting the characters in modern clothing. The idea being that the modern clothing will connect more readily with modern people.

As to a Queen of Cups personality - I agree with what's already been said on the thread. I associate Cups with spirituality as well as emotions, so for me, the Queen of Cups is also a deeply spiritual woman. Her gaze is upon the cup she holds making me think she's also a seer. Thus, I associate her with the idea of foresight or even prophecy. She also carries a baton or wand which leads me to think that her actions are guided by what she foresees or feels.

It took me a long while to decide how she dresses in these modern times. Indeed that's what held me up so long in the production of my drawings. Finally, it took a trip to church on Sunday where I'd hoped to glimpse her in action before I settled on what she should wear. I attach my own version of the Queen of Cups.

Attachments

• Queen of Cups.jpg
    Queen of Cups.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 853

caridwen

cartarum said:
a psychic, a woman who is emotional, and flirty
reversed, shes a complete slut, and or vain and emotionally unstable.

'A complete slut'! That's a bit harsh isn't it? Can't all the Courts be 'complete sluts' or is this delight reserved for the Queen of Cups?

I see her as very much a Cancer/water sign, totally ruled by her emotions - opposite of Queen of Swords. Prone to depression, moods, can be crabby, compassionate, thoughtful, sensitive, quick tempered etc

hoomer

caridwen said:
'A complete slut'! That's a bit harsh isn't it? Can't all the Courts be 'complete sluts' or is this delight reserved for the Queen of Cups?

I see her as very much a Cancer/water sign, totally ruled by her emotions - opposite of Queen of Swords. Prone to depression, moods, can be crabby, compassionate, thoughtful, sensitive, quick tempered etc

water cards are of emotions..tides.....cleanisng..and SEX....and love.....
seeng her as a slut may be a bit harsh...but I could see how she could be....

gregory

Queen of Cups - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
I find this card a bit creepy….

From the book
Upright

Her eyes are closed for she sees all within her cup. She is the sensual lover, the alluring fantasy, and the mermaid that haunts the dreams of many. She embodies the magical fantasy that fulfills desires.
The Queen of Cups represents a woman who is artistic, expressive, and extremely psychic. Her imagination is vivid and her creativity shows in all aspects of her life. She is loving and empathic, gentle in her nature and emotional in her responses. She will fight for the underdog and side with the weak for she is the proverbial pillar of emotional support.
In situations, this card heralds a time when high creativity and expressiveness is required. Projects may call for a twist of flair or imaginative delivery. Presentations will have to be spruced up. Clients may need a more sympathetic ear to meet their needs. Relationships will be loving and may carry emotional connections that can withstand distance and time.
Reversed
She is a temptress. She plays with your emotions. She dances, dazzles with her magic, and charms with her flirtatious promises of happiness.
The Queen of Cups reversed represents an overemotional wreck of a woman who can be driven to manipulation as well as vindictiveness. Her mood swings make life for others difficult. When she's in control, she poses to be an emotional drain on your life. She will play your emotional heartstrings to her advantage and dazzle you with illusions of love and romance. Within her, she could also harbor angst and self-loathing for her inability to do more with herself and her talents.
In relationships, this card heralds a time when separating the emotions from any sense of sensibility may be difficult. Strong emotions may seem to take all parties on a roller coaster ride. Within projects, jobs, or workplaces, all members may feel their emotions are a little frayed from stress. This card also warns against entering into any agreements with those who seem to play on your sense of guilt or pull on your emotional heartstrings, for they may not be what they seem.

Images and Symbolism
The queen sits on a coral throne that is illuminated by lights from the ocean. She doesn't need light to see her way for she has her cup to guide her to better understanding. She rules over the emotions of the heart. She is gentle and sensual, and cares only for love and the happiness of others. She is surrounded by unconventional and natural beauty.
Her eyes are not opened, for her powers extend beyond the mind's eye. She can see all from channeling through her cup. The queen on the reverse is the seductress with eight tentacles. She represents the woman who enjoys the pleasures of love only for herself. She dwells on extreme feelings and will not fear unleashing her tentacles when overreacting. Color: gold and green, colors of royalty and of healing and nature.

Traditional meanings
Upright:

She is warm, sociable, sympathetic and imaginative. She loves children and has a protective nature; loves music and beauty.
Reversed:
She is too gregarious and needs reassurance. She is sentimental.
My impressions:
Upright
She’s sitting among a lot of octopus tentacles, holding a golden cup in which we can see the reflection of the greenish weeds behind her. On her forehead a band with a precious stone in the centre, and there is a matching necklace at her throat. Her eyes are blank (I see them as blank rather than open – I don’t like them at all.) Her hair is smooth and neat.
Reversed
Reverser – her eyes are wide open; she has no necklace; her hair is elaborately coiffed. She embraces a tentacle. She looks wild and interesting. She has no cup….
My take
I really don’t like this card. Upright she looks sort of introspective and holier than thou. Not anyone I would want to know, and not someone who would present anything positive in a reading. Maybe an authority figure who wields authority for the sake of it, but not with any reasoned or benevolent motive. Reversed she looks interesting but dangerous. I can see the artist’s point about her – but I don’t see the upright image as positive, artistic and sensual at all – she really gives me the creeps. Like a cyberperson. Mechanical. Ugh.

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

Peachesncreamme

It took me a long while to decide how she dresses in these modern times. Indeed that's what held me up so long in the production of my drawings. Finally, it took a trip to church on Sunday where I'd hoped to glimpse her in action before I settled on what she should wear. I attach my own version of the Queen of Cups.

In 2011, I think she'll probably come off as Boho Chic. I've met many QOC and these gals falls under the "artisty types" who enjoys the coffee house, sophisticated music, art gallery scene, etc...anything that involves creativity.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Queen of Cups

First impressions

A woman hidden behind swirling rays of light – I think – we can see her face, but little else. She sits by a still pool, in which she and the light are reflected. She holds a lotus blossom; two lotus flowers float on the water, In fro of her is an ibis, standing on one leg. It is all very blue, green and calm. Secretive. There is a cup in front of her – I assume she is holding it – and something else I shall not know what it is until I read up, let’s face it.

From the Book of Thoth

The Queens represent the letter Heh of the Name. They are the complements of the Knights. They receive, ferment, and transmit the original Energy of their Knight. Quick to receive that Energy, they are also fitted to endure for the period of their function; but they are not the final product. They represent the second stage in the process of creation whose fourth and last state is material realization. They are represented as seated upon thrones. This emphasizes the fact that they are appointed to exercise definite functions.

QUEEN OF CUPS

The Queen of Cups represents the watery part of Water, its power of reception and reflection. In the Zodiac it rules from the 21St degree of Gemini to the 20th degree of Cancer. Her image is of extreme purity and beauty, with infinite subtlety; to see the Truth of her is hardly possible, for she reflects the nature of the observer in great perfection.

She is represented as enthroned upon still water. In her hand she bears a shell-like cup, from which issues a crayfish, and she bears also the Lotus of Isis, of the Great Mother. She is robed in, and veiled by, endless curves of light, and the sea upon which she is enthroned conveys the almost unbroken images of the image which she represents.

The characteristics associated with this card are principally dreaminess, illusion and tranquillity. She is the perfect agent and patient, able to receive and transmit everything without herself being affected thereby. If ill-dignified, all these qualities are degraded.

Everything that passes through her is refracted and distorted. But, speaking generally, her characteristics depend mostly upon the influences which affect her.

In the Yi King, the watery part of Water is represented by the 8th hexagram, Tui. The commentary is as colourless as the card; it consists of mild exhortations on the subject of pleasure. It may really be said that, normally, people of this type have no character at all of their own, unless it can be called a characteristic to be at the disposition of every impact or impression.
There is, however, a hint (line 6) that the chief pleasure of people of this type is to lead and attract others. Such are accordingly (often enough) exceedingly popular.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:
Queen of Cups = watery part of Water, or its power of reflection and reception. She is enthroned on still water, and carries a shell-like Cup containing a cray-fish. In her other hand she holds the Lotus of Isis.

Also:
Queen of Cups.
This is the passive and receptive quality of water. She is almost invisible as she is enveloped by shadowy reflections

OK – so apparently what she holds is a cup from which emanates a crayfish. I need so say more about that in my impressions, but I do see it now ! The crayfish – again – is not only about water, but also about the womb. The reflection in the water, as Snuffin points out, actually shows the moon coming out form the cup, rather than the crayfish. The lotus in her hand rests on the ibis’ head. It represents emotion. It has nine petals (that’s hard to see !) which connects it with both the Moon and with Yesod. The ibis is one of the many symbols of Thoth, an Egyptian Moon God.

The pool, as Snuffin says, rather distorts the reflection – both in the fact that it shows the moon in place of the crayfish and in a few other things that simply don’t seem to be reflected – the ibis looks quite strange in reflection, too. This distortion is like the distortion we may get from emotions.
Banzhaf sees the calm water as symbolising the unconscious, and draws particular significance in the reflection of what he calls the field of power around the queen’s head.
He refers to the ibis as a heron, and says it is a symbol of vigilance and circumspection. He also says the cup is a conch – it could appear that way. He goes on to describe how the Celts put a shell into a grave with a corpse, because the fact that it resembles the vulva made it an appropriate symbol for rebirth. This ties in with what Snuffin says about the crayfish and the womb.
The lotuses in the water represent beauty rising and opening up to the light.

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman)
Represents the watery part of water. A woman who reflects the nature of the observer, dreamy, tranquil, poetic, imagi¬native, kind yet not willing to take much trouble for another. She is much affected by surrounding influences, therefore more dependent than most other cards on good or ill dignity.

DuQuetteShe is imaginative, poetic, kind, yet not willing to take much trouble for another. Coquettish, good-natured, and underneath a dreamy appearance. Imagination stronger than feeling. Very much affected by other influences, and therefore more dependent upon dignity than most symbols.

Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
QUEENS
The element of Queens is water and, not surprisingly, they are a reflection of the Empress. In this they signify the creative force. That which nurtures, slakes thirst and helps things to grow.
When Queens appear they signal a time of growth and development, a time when the querent is making things real.
Queen of Cups
As a development: Developing a romance, psychic powers, or the growth of a family.
As an adult woman: Often a healer, counselor or psychic, this is a woman who seems to know what's wrong even before you open your mouth. Call her the emotional fix-it woman or the ultimate "mom," but she seems to have exactly the right solution to problems relating to family, friends, love.
Sometimes she is so shy and self-effacing you might not even notice her; other times she can be a little scary, dreamy, mysterious, possessing otherworldly powers or a spiritual connection. She can be a creative storyteller or artist. Also, devoutly spiritual in her own way.
Affectionate and loving, she hugs, heals, and bakes cookies for her children. Her intuition is uncanny and her temper...well, it runs very deep and you don't ever want it turned against you. Talk about scary.
Unfortunately, this is also a queen who can suffer from hormonal imbalances, depression, moodiness, alcoholism, delusions and drug addiction. She is not above emotional manipulation, playing the fragile female who needs protecting, the invalid who needs tending, or the sensitive who can't be told bad news. At her best, however, she has is a well of emotional support and empathy that never runs dry. She will always be there for you.
My impressions (appearance of the card):
This card has always troubled me. The first time I ever saw it, it looked initially like some kind of space creature – the shell-like cup seemed to me to be its head. Looking carefully at it for this study, the crayfish itself looked to me like a very small cup and the shell an entirely separate entity !
The massive Moon behind her is achingly lovely, and the light around her is so blue as to suggest light in darkness, almost.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
If ever a card suggested something hidden, this would be it. Time to be quiet and seek that knowledge out. Don’t let emotion divert you from what is at the heart of things.

jackdaw*

Queen of Cups (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
The Queen of Cups is the most quiet and reflective of the court cards in this deck. Not as much so as the one in the Hanson-Roberts – probably my favourite incarnation – but very passive and gentle nonetheless. As the Water of Water by Golden awn reckoning, I guess she’s a being of pure emotion, pure spirit, pure faith, pure love, pure intuition. I’m surprised she can hold a solid form, to be honest. She’s pure femininity in the old-fashioned and gentlest sense of the word.

The Queen is very thin; if she were a real person she’d be too thin, with no figure to speak of. Not as bad as her counterpart in some of the Marseille decks (is it just me, or does Dodal’s take on the Reyne de Coupes look like Gail on Corrie?), but thin nonetheless. Not the lush and bountiful figures of the Empress and Queen of Pentacles, nor the lean angularity of the Queen of Swords (thin and keen as a sword blade), but thin enough to suggest great fragility. She even slouches slightly as if she has trouble staying upright, so limp and liquid is she.

Her gown reminds me of the Empress’ granny nightie, although it fits to her form better. It’s a white-to-pale-blue shade in my deck, and has a suggestion of fancy slashes and lacings at the sleeves. Just enough to indicate that it’s a gown, not a nightgown. But what’s really intriguing is how the hem of her gown, from her feet up toward her knees, becomes deeper blue and appears to meld with the water that laps at her feet. Like the High Priestess. Pinned at her throat by a red scallop shell is a long cloak – thrown back from her shoulders so that she’s mostly sitting on it – and it’s got a pale blue and white pattern like a sun-dappled stream. There’s a hint of a bright red lining. Her crown is square and gold, like a fancy Christmas tin of chocolate cookies, and has a pattern of circles on it that I can’t make sense of on first glance. Her hair is fair, and braided at the side of her head; I think it’s likely wrapped in a coronet kind of style around her head.

Feet crossed daintily at the ankles, she reclines on a carved stone throne. It’s got low arms but a high back carved into a massive concave scallop shell supported by two mermaids. They look like cherubs or putti wearing fish-tail costumes, and their expressions are sulky. On the side of the throne facing us, a third mermaid frolics grimly with a fish on a shoreline much like the real one in this card. The throne sits right on the edge of the sand where the shore meets the gentle rippling water of what is most likely a becalmed ocean, on a little peninsula or finger of land amid a scattering of brightly coloured pebbles. A nearly vertical headland, sand-coloured but topped by grass, is behind her in the middle distance.

But the real star of this card is the cup. It’s huge, easily the size of the Queen’s torso and head, and very different from any of the others in this suit. More like an ornate (and very ugly!) candelabrum or tacky urn for the ashes of a loved one with questionable taste. Perhaps an overblown bowling league trophy. Two arms jut out from the sides to support figures like seraphim in profile, turned to face the cup. Where the arms join the cup’s stem there’s a sort of a cross shape with a red jewel at its centre. Above it rises the bowl of the cup itself. Seemingly octagonal, it has figures engraved on the sides that are hard to make out. Animals? Zodiac symbols? There is a lid on the top that rises to a point and is crowned by what seems to be a bunch of grapes and a cross like you see on church steeples.

What exactly is this cup? The crosses and engravings make me think of fancy monstrances (I think that’s the word) for Holy Communion. Certainly it’s not something from which she’s going to sit around sipping her morning coffee. And why the lid? Clearly there’s more to this than meets the eye.

Creator’s Notes
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot Waite says of the Queen of Cups:
Waite said:
Beautiful, fair, dreamy--as one who sees visions in a cup. This is, however, only one of her aspects; she sees, but she also acts, and her activity feeds her dream.
Strange, but I don’t quite see much action coming from this woman. She sees, yes. But does she act? I don’t get that vibe.

Other’s Interpretations
Waite interprets the card thusly:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Good, fair woman; honest, devoted woman, who will do service to the Querent; loving intelligence, and hence the gift of vision; success, happiness, pleasure; also wisdom, virtue; a perfect spouse and a good mother. Reversed: The accounts vary; good woman; otherwise, distinguished woman but one not to be trusted; perverse woman; vice, dishonour, depravity.
Pretty dull.

Joan Bunning is, as always, a little more wordy about it than Waite.
Bunning said:
[…]In readings, the Queen of Cups asks you to think and feel as she does. For example: Are you aware of the emotional climate? Are you feeling loving? Do you trust your heart? Have you received an intuitive message? Have you been moved by another's pain?

This Queen can also represent a man or woman who is like her, or an atmosphere of gentle love, acceptance and respect for feelings. In a reading, she tells you that her special energy has meaning for you at this time. Let yourself be inspired by this Queen in whatever form she appears in your life.

Symbols and Attributes
Elementally this Queen is the Water of Water. She provides the Queenly Watery nurturing and care and fluidity to her Cups-like dreams and emotions and spirituality. Astrologically the Queen of Cups is ruled by Cancer, the Crab. A watery sign ruled by the Moon, it is a nurturing and protective influence. The Moon connection links her to the High Priestess; there is a strong connection, I find, between the two in this deck.

Rachel Pollack appears to consider her to be a mundane (ie, earthly, Minor Arcana) version of the World card. I can’t say I see this, though.

The Queen’s expression is thoughtful, almost dreamy, as she is lost in thought gazing at her cup. Her focus is ostensibly on the cup, but you have to wonder if she actually even sees it. She faces to the left, suggesting a tendency to reflect and look inward. She is in touch with her unconscious. She is so focused on the cup to the exclusion of all else. Does she even realize her gown is getting wet, that it is turning into water? She is too focused on the cup. It suggests a great deal of emotional investment. Whatever this cup is, whatever it contains, is of great importance to her.

Look at her body language; crossed legs in particular speaks of less openness than you find in the splayed-legs posture of the more receptive, more sexual Queen of Wands or Empress. She guards her emotions and her secrets, this Queen. Her arms are tight to her sides. Very internalized. Even her hair is not allowed to blow free in the ocean breeze, but is tightly braided. A sign of her modesty, perhaps? It used to be that only virginal girls had their hair loose; once married a woman wore her hair braided. I’ve also heard various accounts that braided hair would represent strength and unity – like in ropemaking, how a braided or woven strand was stronger than many single strands.

Her colours are the white of purity and the blue of Water, spirituality and the feminine divine. Again, the same as the High Priestess. Her cloak suggests water that is calm on the surface, but with activity underneath. The red lining we see a hint of suggests that while she is a passionate woman, or can be, she keeps that under wraps. It’s not the be-all and end-all for her, passion and sex, but it is there. I’m sure that under the tender outer layer is a lover and a sexy one at that. The golden crown on her head is roughly square, I think; maybe I’m just making too much of it, but it suggests to me that despite her watery fragility she is actually more stable than we think, certainly in her thoughts. You might say her head is screwed on right. But the pattern of circles on it suggests a connection to infinity, the divine; it speaks of her spirituality.

The cup she holds is unique. Ugly, but unique, it’s the most elaborate by far of the deck. This is the case as well in the Marseille decks, in which her cup is the only lidded one. Keeping her emotions under wraps, I think; I’m reminded that still water runs deep. But this cup really is a little extreme. It is a product of great imagination, of great emphasis on relics and spirituality, and questionable taste :D Two arms protrude from the stem, topped by what I think are seraphim or similar. Although others have seen crustaceans in their form, like lobster claws. This would suggest a tie to Cancer, and to the Moon as well. But to me, they remind me of descriptions of the Ark of the Covenant; the way they face the enclosed cup suggests great spirituality, an object of reverence and great spiritual power. No wonder the Queen is so intent on it. The arms meet the stem of the cup in a cross shape, centred with a ruby. It could be another symbol of the faith and spirituality of this figure, or it might represent the unity of her conscious and her unconscious. Overall I think this is a very, very Christian emblem, this cup. Cross, seraphim, Ark, Eucharistic cup (they are typically covered and elaborate, although not this grotesque).

The throne she sits on is topped by a scallop shell, a symbol of faith (medieval pilgrims used to carry these shells with them) and of her Watery element. There’s one at her throat too, incidentally, clasping her cloak. It’s red, for passion. Mermaids or undines are carved into the head and at least the visible arm of the throne as well. Considered water elementals, they are shown here as very young, as if to suggest cherubs. It’s been suggested that scallop shell, sea and undine tie her to Aphrodite or Venus. Born of the sea, she is depicted in Botticelli’s Birth of Venus as emerging from the sea on a scallop shell and surrounded by cherubs or putti. Throne, Queen and all are on the sandy beach, but with pebbles underfoot, at the very edge of the water. She is yearning toward the water, toward her natural element, but is still grounded to earthly concerns.

Like we found in Temperance and the Star, the Queen of Cups’ foot is in (perhaps even of?) the water. Stirring up the unconscious, or perhaps just a sign that she is aware of it and in touch with that part of herself. And look – as in the High Priestess, she appears to become one with the water. Her dress turns into the water that laps at her feet. She is merging with her emotions, her imagination. She is literally in her element.

The tall flat table land in the background has smooth sides facing the ocean. It speaks of constant and gentle waves causing this smoothing erosion. If it were due to pounding surf, for example, it would be easier to imagine jagged and rugged cliffs instead. But this landscape speaks of a gentler influence than that. However, there is still emotional energy at work here under the surface; look at how smooth the pebbles are at her feet. This would suggest a great deal of rolling and abrading, a strong undercurrent to make them so smooth and perfect.

My Interpretation
This Queen is a figure of great and gentle faith, spirituality. She is almost not of this world, so immersed is she in her own world, but she still retains ties. She is a very passive creature, but with spiritual strength. As a person she may represent a wife, lover or mother; if so she may not be the most hands-on or domestic type, but a very tender and loving one. In the abstract she represents nurturing and spirituality.