Self-published decks- what is your favorite?

lantana

I think all my faves are independent decks, or were. Wild Unknown, Animal Spirit Oracle, Invisible Light, Wooden Tarot, Earthbound Oracle, Tarot of the Crone (which I await with bated breath)...

I'm in the same boat. 60% of my collection is independent (or was when I bought it), and all of my top 5 decks are indie as well. So it makes choosing kind of hard, because I feel like I'm just choosing a top deck in general.

I do love what decks like the Fountain, the Wild Unknown, and even the Prisma Visions (if you ignore how that glided cardstock tears itself up) do with their presentation and quality. Their boxes are sturdy, everything is presented beautifully, and it just feels like a wonderful package to receive.

On the other side I love decks like Slow Holler, Spirit Speak, The Collective Tarot, and countless others that bring such unique styles, worldviews, and perspectives to the tarot world that might not have been able to get published otherwise.

Not that mass-published decks can't or haven't been these things! It's just that this is what comes to mind when I think about why I love and collect these more than anything.

(I guess my answer is the Slow Holler, which is also my favorite deck in general.)

Mythtaken

When I saw The Wild Unknown, I knew I just had to have one, so instead of waiting for the new box set, I bought direct from the artist.

I bought the Anna K direct from her, instead of getting the version on Amazon. I'm glad I did, I like the subtle differences.

I also like the Spiral Spirit deck by Khara Scott-Bey, though the cards do seem vulnerable to damage. They don't seem to have any sort of protective coating, not sure if that's true, but they look the most homemade of any deck I have. Not rustic, but hand crafted. (The cards aren't a uniform size, I'm assuming it's something to do with the way she cuts the card stock.)

I'm glad I made these purchases, these decks somehow feel more personally 'mine' in a way that decks I've bought at retail never quite seem to manage.

bonebeach

Zirkus Magi, pretty easily. Way back when, The Wild Unknown.

I haven't caved on The Divine Will yet, and MAN, do I ever want to.

Bluefeet

And wow- how could I forget the luscious decks from Adam McLean? Beauties! He is one of my favorites!

YES - Adam's decks have some of the most amazing illustrations and cardstock! Majors only decks tend to get downplayed for being "incomplete", Adam's Art Tarot series sure deserves more attention IMO.

My top indie deck is Minotarot (sadly OOP), and Bohemian Gothic comes very closely second.

RiverRunsDeep

Wow, I love so many of them, but my top favorites are: Baba's Bohemian Gothic Tarot, Seven Stars' Samhain Deck of the Bastard , Tyldwick Tarot by Malpertuis, and the Wild Unknown.

Linfang

Carol Herzer's Illuminated and the Dark Goddess are on top of my list. Ostara, Tyldwick and Tarot of Delphi are favorites as well.

The Wild Unknown is still one of my mostly used decks, but I wouldn't consider it self-published anymore.

Nemia

Wild Unknown - I have the 1st edition and love it. Tabula Mundi and Trionfi della Luna - I love them even more. Silhouettes, Badgers Forest, Orbifold... I love them all. Alchemical Renewed and Sevenfold Mystery are wonderful, too.

I'm sure I have some more....

Yes, Daniloff, Fountain, soon I'll also have Cult of Weimar and the Idiosyncradeck - all great decks. How could I forget World Spirit? Il Lombardo Dannegiato? Maria Celia? Stretch tarot? Very special, strong decks.

I think it's wonderful to have such a vibrant independent scene of tarot creators - the mass market publishers certainly became more creative, too, just to keep up ;-)

Lain_82

The Slow Holler and the Pagan Otherworlds are my favorite self-published decks, but to be fair I love all the indie stuff I've gotten for the past few months, especially the Holly Simple Tarot, the Cosmos tarot and Oracle deck, and the Prisma Visions. I'm waiting for the Wodden tarot and the Book of Azathoth on the mail, I expect them to be awesome as well :)

LauraKai

My absolute favourite is the Alice Tarot by Baba Studios. Everything about it is stunning - the artwork, the cardstock, the printing. Love the indie deck scene, there are so many creative and beautiful decks out there!

Anise

Trionfi della Luna is my very, very favorite so far. I also love Tabula Mundi and Mutational Alchemy, and Dame Darcy Mermaid (the third). Barring strange cardstock choice, I predict Brass and Steam will also become one of my self-published loves.

I've hardly ventured off the mainstream path of deck sources, and that's probably for the best, my wallet says. Independent artists are really bringing it these days.