10 Pentacles Signature

Penelope

Why does the 10 of Pentacles 'signature' (PCS) appear at the top?

10 of Pentacles
USGamesSystemsInc.1971

:laugh:

Little Baron

Its for Pamela Coleman Smith, who illustrated the deck.

Best wishes

Yaboot

Penelope

I know that, but thank you, all her others are at the bottom of each card, hence my question about her signature being at the top of the 10 of Pentacles, it just seems odd.

Jeanette

And where is the PCS on the Fool (this has been discussed before) and the Knight of Wands is the lower left. I wonder why she did a lot of the things she did for these illustrations; too bad there isn't something written by Pixie herself! I think it would be more enlightening than Waite's dry old book :)

Fulgour

Yaboot001 said:
Its for Pamela Coleman Smith, who illustrated the deck.
It's a good thing I didn't mention the misspelling of Colman...

No, seriously, I was at fault ~ and I will leave my offending post
as sufficient proof and indictment for my all too deliberate error.

While I know that any apology will not undo my blatant fault,
I do apologize, sincerely, and with my very deepest regrets.

Penelope

from The Pamela Colman Smith Tarot of 1909

TEN of PENTACLES
Rider & Company London

often termed the 'Pamela A'

Vincent

Penelope said:
Some people even say that on the old gentlemans cloak there is the letter 'W' for Waite.

Yes, I have heard something similar. That part of the strange pattern on the old man's cloak is a monogram of AEW.

Someone else said it looked like a three-eyed monkey.

Vincent

Penelope

I can remember the first time I felt I really saw this card, and the shock that came seeing the stark grey banner across the top with such a glaring "X" in the centre. I felt horrible that the card seemed ruined by this flawed aspect, and then I noticed Pam's delightful PCS there on the right and it hit me: she was doing this on purpose, making a big statement about the imagery on the rest of the card below.

Patterns, patterns... the generations of life, the nature of the family, cities and towns, structure and emblem. Even the dogs know where best to turn, and then there is that iconoclastic headline ~ the force of the contrast made me feel as if Pam were saying: Do you get it, do you see what I'm saying? As if we are right there with her in her studio watching, as she sits back and sighs at her own audacity ~ to stress an important point she was willing to go against the grain of her beautiful design.

Don't just go along with the same old routines, look up! There's so much more...

firemaiden

Actually, this was the card which impressed me the most when I finally broke down and got a copy of the deck. I even did a thread on it. :)

Edited to say: Here is a link to that thread: 10 of Pentacles - The Old Man's Cloak

Ace

Penelope said:
Why does the 10 of Pentacles 'signature' (PCS) appear at the top?

Actually, it is probably because there is no room at the bottom. But she was an artist, she is ALLOWED to be capricious!:p