Timeframe between face to face readings?

PeonyInLove

Before I started studying tarot I was told that you should only go and see a tarot reader once a year... I went and seen two last October because I was a skeptic and as bad as it sounds was testing them in a way... Since I've been on aeclectic I've had numerous readings from the people kind enough to read for me. My friend and I wanted to go see a reader in a few wks whom lives close by to us. That will be about 8 months since I've had a face to face reading and a lot has changed since then. Should there be a timeframe in which to get readings done or is that just hogwash?

nisaba

Have a reading, do real-world work on the issues that come up, then wait for the results of that work before you have the next reading. A year is far too long for a minimum-limitation, but you can go to short.

For example, there was one reading addict I used to service (and stopped) who got a reading from me or someone else at that venue about every second day, if she could get the time off work. Nothing ever changed, because she never took any of our advice. And all of her wage was going to readings, not to feeding and clothing her son, who should have been her priority over someone else's husband but was never even mentioned in readings. <scowl>

PeonyInLove

Have a reading, do real-world work on the issues that come up, then wait for the results of that work before you have the next reading. A year is far too long for a minimum-limitation, but you can go to short.

For example, there was one reading addict I used to service (and stopped) who got a reading from me or someone else at that venue about every second day, if she could get the time off work. Nothing ever changed, because she never took any of our advice. And all of her wage was going to readings, not to feeding and clothing her son, who should have been her priority over someone else's husband but was never even mentioned in readings. <scowl>

Every 2nd day is nuts! She must've been in a really bad place internally... The lovely ladies I seen last year both gave me a 3-5 window haha that wld mean I shldnt get another one for a few years... :) I was actually surprised that two different readers both gave me a reading and stated it was for 3-5 years. I was expecting 12 months.

Padma

Myself, I would say the time between readings is roughly three to 6 months - it usually takes that long for many situations (such as love or career questions) to work themselves out. Having said that, if the reading was about something that was meant to happen soon, you could drop it down to three to five week period, I suppose!

Really, it depends upon the sitter's question and situation, and your patience (for those who want continual readings) and common sense. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules...you are the one doing the readings, so it is within your control :) That's my view on it!

Grizabella

Nothing is set in stone, so a person can get a reading whenever they feel they need one, even within 24 hours or less. There are no rules that say they can't. But I, for one, pretty soon get a little annoyed if they seem stuck in a rut and keep asking me the same thing. I don't mean I get annoyed with that person in particular, just with whatever it is that keeps them stuck in that rut. Usually it's relationship addiction, in my experience.

The way I handle it is---if it becomes clear that they're truly stuck, then I help them rephrase their question or re-direct their way of approaching the subject. In my past, I was a relationship addict myself because I had no self esteem and only felt worthy, loved and worthwhile if those feelings came from outside of me---in particular from a partner. When caught up in any addiction, try as one might, a person can't just rationally think their way out of it. If they could, there wouldn't be any people addicted to anything. First they need to be convinced that what they're doing is addictive and is going continue to the depths of hell if not remedied. Very often, that takes a lot of knocking their head against the wall.

It takes what it takes for all people---they're not going to "get it" just because I get annoyed with the same old questions and think "sigh---here we go again." And making a rule that I'll only give readings at certain intervals won't change them---all that does is just keep me pacified that I don't have to go "there" again with them.

You're the one who can decide how often you need a reading and if you feel you need one, then seek one out. If the one you often go to says it's too soon, it's your option to find someone else to read for you if you want to. If you're reading for yourself then of course you can read all you want on whatever topic you want. If you're doing readings for others and you want to set limits on how often a given person sits with you, that's your call and you can set limits or not, as you see fit. :)

danieljuk

There is an old tarot myth that you shouldn't have a reading more than once a year, another a very worried friend asked me about is that you should only had one reading in your lifetime :bugeyed:

Griz is really right in that nothing is set in stone! But Nisaba makes a great point in that we have to do work between readings. There is no point asking the same question every day about a situation. As a rule of thumb in my own life, I don't ask more than once every 30 days on one topic or area, unless it changes since that reading. The risk I think is not the old myths about getting readings too much but getting addicted and not trusting what comes up. I have been there! It really doesn't help you but makes you more confused ultimately! Have faith in what comes up, see if it comes to pass, make the changes that the reading might say to do and then look at that topic again when needed.

PeonyInLove

Thank you everyone for your advice! It all was great! I feel like I have made progress and worked on things since last face to face reading. I usually don't go to readings asking a particular question I just ask for a general reading and then we go from there. The lady my friend and I wanted to see I actually think we both got readings from her about 6 years ago. She was great. She read tarot plus you cld take in photos of an item of someone (alive or passed) and they would come through. I wanted to know about my nan who had passed when I was 1 year old and there was a lot of family questions that died when she did. My uncle who had passed about a year prior instead came through which I thought was interesting. Sorry but off topic there lol