Shuffling Cards

Midnite

I am interested to know how others shuffle their cards. What are the best techniques for getting a really good shuffle? The reason why I ask is because I have been taking more notice of the way I shuffle and am wondering if my technique is simply just rearranging the cards in a reverse order each time. I'm starting to think that I'm not shuffling the cards very well at all.

tarot_quest

Hi Midnite :)

I am curious, why do you think that you are not shuffling the cards really well? Did you get some cards that did not make sens? I had a question a little similar to you last week! If you are really not sure about how to do, I saw that there are some videos on Youtube (it's tough to explain it via this forum!)

Also, I don't think that you are rearranging the cards in a reverse order each time. My best advice would be, if you are not sure, just shuffle them a lot! Like other people said, you will feel it when the shuffling will be done (follow your intuition!)

Citrin

I shuffle like Angelo Nasios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqFfJ_wtUg BUT I'm much slower LOL... I have small girly hands so of course tarot cards are kind of uncomfortable to shuffle. ;) When I use playing cards (not for divination) I always riffle, but I'd never do that to a tarot deck. I just think it would ruin the cards...

Try searching "tarot shuffle" on YouTube, you'll be surprised how many videos there are about that... :) See if someone has a technique you'd like to copy, and maybe you'll feel your shuffling will improve.

mydearruby

I don't know if this is only me, but I tend to shuffle by creating nine piles (3*3 matrix), randomly adding each card to a pile, and stacking the piles up in whatever order. It takes some time but creates a really organic mixture , and is very good with reversals if needed (randomly reversing three piles would do).

I use this method like three times for reading when using my oversized and oop decks, for it is very gentle to the cards (either riffle or lace has its risk...), and to one's fingers as well.

Barleywine

I don't riffle, I generally shuffle overhand a number of times before cutting, and I occasionaly mix the cards around face down on the tabletop to really stir them up. I like the idea of dealing the deck out into several piles and then shuffling them back together but haven't tried it yet. Sounds like a good idea for a new deck. I've seen both seven piles and nine piles mentioned, but I don't think the number is really critical as long as it's several. That's probably not something I'd take the time to do with a querent sitting in front of me, maybe just between readings to "refresh" the (dis)order.

nisaba

I shuffle like Angelo Nasios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqFfJ_wtUg BUT I'm much slower LOL... I have small girly hands so of course tarot cards are kind of uncomfortable to shuffle. ;)

Hold them by the sides rather than by the top and bottom, and use a longer, slower arm-motion: since I've been doing that, my stumpy little fingers and I have no trouble shuffling anything.

The Happy Squirrel

I shuffle like Angelo Nasios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqFfJ_wtUg BUT I'm much slower LOL... I have small girly hands so of course tarot cards are kind of uncomfortable to shuffle. ;) When I use playing cards (not for divination) I always riffle, but I'd never do that to a tarot deck. I just think it would ruin the cards...

Try searching "tarot shuffle" on YouTube, you'll be surprised how many videos there are about that... :) See if someone has a technique you'd like to copy, and maybe you'll feel your shuffling will improve.

I do similar shuffling, but only one direction, and without the 'bridge'. I don't riffle shuffle for same reason :) And increasingly I let the cards drop on to my had as I shuffle to reduce frictions on cards :) It feels more peaceful somehow this way too for some strange reason :)

The Happy Squirrel

Hold them by the sides rather than by the top and bottom, and use a longer, slower arm-motion: since I've been doing that, my stumpy little fingers and I have no trouble shuffling anything.

I tried this too! :)
Because I have short fingers :p
But the cards went this way and that so I am still learning balancing the cards as I drop shuffle length wise this way

:)

Midnite

Thanks for everyone’s input. I tend to shuffle overhand and hold the cards upright/vertical because I have short fingers. I also use the 9-pile method as mydearruby described.

Hi Midnite :)

I am curious, why do you think that you are not shuffling the cards really well? Did you get some cards that did not make sens?

I have been shuffling the same way for over a decade now. Last week I started paying close attention to the way I shuffle and wondered if I was actually doing it sufficiently enough. To me it seemed like my overhanded shuffle was just rearranging the cards in a reversed order. I guess I was just over-thinking it because personally and professionally all my readings have been pretty accurate. Thank you for your advice.