Which tarot card would define adaptation?

Divine Onyx

I started thinking about how humans and animals for millions of years have adapting to environments. Which tarot card or cards do you think best define adaptation? I was thinking maybe the Ace of Swords, and maybe the 7 of wands? What are your thoughts?

Zephyros

Justlce, or in its Thoth name, Adjustment. This is by far my favorite card, relating to a constant balancing. Change is inevitable, and so Adjustment takes care to balance any changes, so she's constantly swinging to and fro, yet at the same time maintains perfect balance.

http://api.ning.com/files/Kjksah5NW...zxCe14S7ffAzsq2QP6dmrde-0t*Gpr/adjustment.jpg

This card in the old pack was called Justice. This word has none but a purely human and therefore relative sense; so it is not to be considered as one of the facts of Nature. Nature is not just, according to any theological or ethical idea; but Nature is exact.

This card represents the sign of Libra, ruled by Venus; in it Saturn is exalted. The equilibrium of all things is hereby symbolized. It is the final adjustment in the formula of Tetragrammaton, when the daughter, redeemed by her marriage with the Son, is thereby set up on the throne of the mother; thus, finally, she “awakens the Eld of the All-Father.”

In the greatest symbolism of all, however, the symbolism beyond all planetary and Zodiacal considerations, this card is the feminine complement of the Fool, for the letters Aleph Lamed constitute the secret key of the Book of the Law, and this is the basis of a complete qabalistic system of greater depth and sublimity than any other. The details of this system have not yet been revealed. It has been thought right, nevertheless, to hint at its existence by equating the designs of these two cards. Not only therefore, because Libra is a sign of Venus, but because she is the partner of the Fool, is the Goddess represented as dancing, with the suggestion of Harlequin.

The figure is that of a young and slender woman poised exactly upon toetip. She is crowned with the ostrich plumes of Maat, the Egyptian goddess of Justice, and on her forehead is the Uraeus serpent, Lord of Life and Death. She is masked, and her expression shows her secret intimate satisfaction in her domination of every element of dis-equilibrium in the Universe. This condition is symbolized by the Magic Sword which she holds in both hands, and the balances or spheres in which she weighs the Universe, Alpha the First balanced exactly against Omega the Last. These are the Judex and Testes of Final Judgment; the Testes, in particular, are symbolic of the secret course of judgment whereby all current experience is absorbed, transmuted, and ultimately passed on, by virtue of the operation of the Sword, to further manifestation. This all takes place within the diamond formed by the figure which is the concealed Vesica Piscis through which this sublimated and adjusted experience passes to its next manifestation.

This woman-goddess is Harlequin; she is the partner and fulfillment of The Fool. She is the ultimate illusion which is manifestation; she is the dance, many-coloured, many-wiled, of Life itself. Constantly whirling, all possibilities are enjoyed, under the phantom show of Space and Time: all things are real, the soul is the surface, precisely because they are instantly compensated by this Adjustment. All things are harmony and beauty; all things are Truth: because they cancel out. She is the goddess Maat; she bears upon her nemyss the ostrich feathers of the Twofold Truth.

Evolutionary adaptation is a purely reactive process, and fits well the ideas discussed above. Changes in the environment are balanced by changes in species in a race to survive. Food grew scarcer, giraffes adjusted by growing long necks, as a species (by which I mean, of course, that the individuals who possessed the longest necks survived and passed the gene onward). Really and exciting question you've asked.

Divine Onyx

I was also thinking Temperance. When a person has to move to a different location, they may have to balance their old ways with the new ways of an environment. Would that be sort of a fair assessment?

Grizabella

I think Justice and Temperance would suggest adaptation.

Failure to adapt to larger society is the Hermit.

What about the Tower? Those people thrown out of the tower will certainly need to adapt.

And what about the 2 of Pentacles?

The guy in the 9 of Cups has done some adapting, I'd think.

lalalibra

I started thinking about how humans and animals for millions of years have adapting to environments. Which tarot card or cards do you think best define adaptation? I was thinking maybe the Ace of Swords, and maybe the 7 of wands? What are your thoughts?

I immediately thought of the Ace of Wands... and with that came to mind the beginning montage from Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey where the ape casts a bone into the air, and then it cuts to the image of a nuclear bomb platform orbiting around the Earth. :bugeyed:

Theta Choir

My first thought was Temperance as well. Oh, and good call on the 2 of pents, Grizabella.

I was also thinking of The Hanged Man, with its theme of not fighting to keep things going in a specific direction, but instead simply surrendering yourself to what is or will be and accepting it. I think that shows a certain willingness to "adapt".

Grizabella

Yes, definitely the Hanged Man.

The Empress might have to adapt if she's pregnant as she is in some decks. She has to adapt to pregnancy.

foolMoon

7 pentacles.

nisaba

The Fool, the Wheel, Temperance, Tower, Death, Justice, the Chariot, the Star, the Sun ...

I'm sure the Minor Arcana has plenty, too. Adaption is a pretty big field.

Kgirl

When I think of adapting, I think of compromise and making something work and learning about new things, so my picks would be:

Two of Pentacles
Three of Pentacles
Six of Swords
Eight of Cups
Magician
Temperance
Page of Pentacles
Knight of Pentacles
Queen of Pentacles