Some advice would be lovely, thank you.

Noyoki

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I figured I'd have a good chance of getting answers here.

I'm looking to start doing readings in a more professional manner. Online, of course. But other then Etsy, I do not know of any website where I might be able to get started. So I was wondering if anyone could share any sites that'd allow me to do paid readings, and any.. u pros and cons. I remember there being a few of them, and some with mixed reviews and all that jazz.

Thank you for your time.

Grizabella

Do you mean you want to start readings at one of the online businesses that hire people to read? If so, you'll find that to be successful there you have to conform to a reading style much different than you see discussed here by people who read professionally, either online or in person. The places that hire people to read by phone or email usually have clientele who are "professional sitters" and what they want is quick, snappy answers so that you don't cost them more money and they also often want fortunetelling, not counseling type readings. You get questions like how many kids they'll have, who they'll marry (they want specifics) and they want time and hair color, etc. You'll also be in really stiff competition with other readers for customers and good ratings.

Also, many of the companies who hire readers operate on "the customer is always right" so you can get docked for the reading if the customer complains, meaning you don't get paid for it. And sometimes, at some companies, I've heard that other readers get a cut-throat mentality where they masquerade as customers and then give you bad feedback. Good feedback is everything.

Oh, and then there are always a bunch of people who beg you for free readings, saying they're poor students or whatever. Or they'll ask you for a small reading "to see if you connect" and they then terminate the call right after the short reading, so you've been ripped off for the reading.

I suggest you might want to get a website to work from. That cuts out the middle person and even though it's slower getting customers, you at least have the control over what you read about, who you read for, etc.

RunningWild

Griz is right about some of the cutthroat tactics on some of the sites. I've experienced them firsthand. That's a downside to the networks. And while it can be disheartening, especially if you're just starting out, it's still a worthwhile experience in my opinion. And yes, sometimes they do try to get as much out of you as they possibly can for as little money as possible. But it's not all the time and it's not every client and giving those quick answers can help you develop a quick reading style for other situations, as well.

I won't give the name of the networks I've been on but you can probably do a search for 'tarot networks' and come up with several that would work out for you as you begin to build a steady clientele so that you can step away from the reading networks.

Good luck.

nisaba

Why not wander around your local community, introducing yourself to the new-age shop owners and the café owners, and asking if you can read out of their businesses? I hear so many horror-stories about on-line reading, and I've had nothing but good experiences reading out of physical locations over the years.

Noyoki

Thank you.

I do mean through emails, as I don't quite have the confidence to do video readings, or phone readings. And I am not planning on quitting my full time job just yet. This is sort of.. dipping my toe in the water sort of thing. I've read some things on here about how.. unforgiving it can be. I am, hopefully, prepared for that.

-Grizabella, A friend of mine suggested Tumblr. There are a few of her friends that advertise readings through that. And it is free, so that is a plus. Thank you for your advice.

-RunningWild, I never thought of Googling that, thank you.

-Nisaba, I do not live in a large town. Not even a medium sized town. The only thing that resembles a 'cafe' is a Tim Hortons, and the nearest New Age shop is about a 4 hour drive south. There is a small coffee shop on the main street but when I asked if I could, the Lady that owned the cafe had a rather negative reaction. I am moving in a few months though, I hope. To an actual city. So that should be nice. :)

RaaD

You can try everywhere. In those sites those who hire you, they dont care can you read or not. They care how you advertise. It is good if you put in your bio that you are just interpreter of cards. But as Grizabella said, it is hard, the income is not nearly what you need and the people wants swift answers. For me one reading is not enough, cuz most people they dont even know what they want and what answer to ask for. Others expect you to predict a magical outcome where all fall in its place while they are doing nothing about it. I am working in such site which is owned by a friend of mine. She is on a holiday and will be in absence for 2 months, if you are still interested you can let me know after 2 months