Christ-follower who loves Tarot.

The Happy Squirrel

And I believe tarot/oracles help me sort out what I already subconsciously know will help me or others regarding a situation.

Dreams on the other hand...:)

You read Jung's "Man and His Symbols"? :)

Zephyros

The truth of the matter is, the Bible is silent on the Tarot. While other methods of divination existed, cartomancy and the Tarot hadn't been invented at the time(s) the Bible was recorded. We are responsible for making up our own minds about it, just like we have to make up our own minds about such things as dinosaurs and the theory of evolution.

Yes... except not at all. Tarot is an article of faith, even when used secularly for meditation, brainstorming or anything else. You cannot prove it works. On the other hand, dinosaurs and evolution are science, and are provable, even quite easily. The same science that went into your computer went into the observation and deduction that went into evolutionary theory.

Not everything is subject to the same free thinking as Tarot is. People can have opinions and beliefs, but they can also be factually wrong.

ravenest

This is probably highly controversial .... but.

I feel there are two types of people; those who can " (make) up our own minds about it, just like we have to make up our own minds about such things as dinosaurs and the theory of evolution" and those that are not making their mind up at all - they are coming to a conclusion about things, but sometimes NOT from a mental or mind process or in some cases a decision.

In many issues we like to think we have made up our mind about something, but in reality, sometimes- we are 'just there'; sometimes from conditioning, inheritance, programing, etc. Opinions and beliefs are what we can develop or inherit, they may not be a choice from rational and logical deduction ... then " People (who) can have opinions and beliefs, but they can also be factually wrong." will over ride the rational faculty and choose the belief over what their own rational faculty tells them. Often this is called a 'crisis in belief' or faith * .

The great religious thinkers and theologians used their rational faculties to COME TO belief systems and theories, but many deny this faculty ... and actually, lately it has become very trendy to do so ... in some circles. How chic! :rolleyes:

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT8G-ZF32BU

imarya

Mentioning of idols, I had a very long discussion/argument with someone once telling me praying to Saints is the worship of an idol.

I think that's a really good example of how Group A doesn't understand Group B's spiritual beliefs and practices, so--because people like pecking order and "us versus them" constructs, rather than asking Group B why they're doing what they're doing--Group A makes up an explanation which also casts aspersions upon Group B's actions...without making sure that the explanation is factual.

It's historical fact many times over that Christianity as a whole has been very good at doing this with other belief systems, oftentimes despite their adherents' expressed desire to peacefully coexist.

IMHO, that's what's happened with the Tarot.

Like many non-denominational, charismatic, evangelical Christians, I was taught that praying to saints is a form of idol worship. Then I converted to Catholicism, and in that process learned "praying to Saints" is the same thing as what my Protestant friends refer to as "requesting intercessory prayer".

Christians believe in a spiritual philosophy referred to as "eternal life". Therefore, asking a deceased Christian to pray for us is no different than asking a living Christian to pray for us. The difference between Saints and other deceased Christians is that Saints have been recognized as having what my Protestant friends would refer to as "a ministry".

Like many Christians of the non-denominational bent, I was taught that reading Tarot cards is witchcraft and communicating with demons. Then I met a witch and later began my own research into Tarot. Through both, I learned what I had been told at church about both witchcraft and Tarot was wrong.

I think that Tarot in and of itself is neither good nor bad; I think good and bad rest with how the reader and the seeker approach the cards.

imarya

Yes... except not at all. Tarot is an article of faith, even when used secularly for meditation, brainstorming or anything else. You cannot prove it works. On the other hand, dinosaurs and evolution are science, and are provable, even quite easily. The same science that went into your computer went into the observation and deduction that went into evolutionary theory.

Not everything is subject to the same free thinking as Tarot is. People can have opinions and beliefs, but they can also be factually wrong.

oooh, good point(s).

As I posted, I was thinking along different lines. My circle of acquaintances includes several intelligent, reasonably well-educated people who don't "believe in" evolution or dinosaurs. They would consider my interest in Tarot as heretical as my "belief" in evolution and dinosaurs.

Christians are free to make up their own minds about many points in Christianity, such as predestination. Anther example: some Christians posit that certain gifts of the Holy Spirit were temporary "sign gifts" belonging only to first century apostles, while other Christians argue those same gifts remain active today. Neither side can prove the other wrong; those who espouse either position are free to take up whichever argument they choose and be equally considered Christian.

In that same vein, I have come to understand that Christians who are interested in the Tarot should do their own research and make up their own minds on whether Tarot is "good" or "bad".

On the other hand, I'm also a strong advocate of critical thinking...something which many Christian sects do not well tolerate, especially from women. :D

acgtardis

Coexisting

I also am new to Tarot and currently on a buying spree of books and decks to study. It's wonderful to see multiple faiths/beliefs here sharing information. I consider myself a Christian also, and put off learning the Tarot because of contradictions from others. We each have to decide for ourselves what is worth our time and effort. I've decided it's my life and this has been an interest of mine for many years, so off I go to learn! Thankful for the many people who have posted deck, book and study ideas. Off to glean some wisdom :)