Christ-follower who loves Tarot.

ravenest

I am a christian and love Tarot as well. What could you say about this then ? ;)
http://www.dorebibletarot.net/cards/dbtmajors.php

I would say it is WONDERFUL! I LOOOVE Dore! I had a giant book of his showing Illustrated Old testament stories, Myths and Fairytales and, more to the point, illustrations from Durante degli Alighieri's (Dante) 'Divine Comedy'.

So, although the art work is Dore ( 1832 – 1883) some of the artwork on the cards is based on the writings of Dante Alighieri ( 1265–1321 ) who is a great example of the type of Christian I was referring to previously, pre- 1400 and pre the changes in the church that led it away from a 'pagan' , Hermetic and neo-Platonic incorporation.

This deck seems a wonderful example of a modern synthesis of that and tarot.

Citrin

No, you are definitely not the only one! ;) I consider myself Christian, Catholic even... Well, I do not go to church often and I don't agree with everything the church says, so to speak (obviously haha)... But I believe in God, Jesus, find inspiration in the Bible and Mary.

I see no evil in tarot. Divination is a gift from God. If you read the Bible you will notice it's in there, like Urim och Tummim etc. I think people who used tarot/divination way back were associated with evil spirits and the devil, and that might be how it got such a bad reputation among Christians.

I am absolutely sure God would not condemn my use of the cards. I use them with a good purpose, to help myself and others. I would never ever try to contact spirits with the tarot cards, and if you have no intention doing that I do not think that a deck of cards will make them appear just like that... ;) God gives us different gifts, and some of us get a strong intuition, it would be bad NOT using our gift!

Just my personal view.

nisaba

I would say it is WONDERFUL! I LOOOVE Dore! I had a giant book of his showing Illustrated Old testament stories, Myths and Fairytales and, more to the point, illustrations from Durante degli Alighieri's (Dante) 'Divine Comedy'.

And I have his Don Quixote. <hunts down Dore Tarot>

edited to add: Rats! They don't take Paypal or cards. I don't do anything else.

Russ1964

Just to add my 0.02 to all of this. The book that I personally consider to be the most profound writing ever on the subject of the Tarot, "Meditations on the Tarot", was written by a devout Catholic and is written from an esoteric Christian perspective.

Whilst not a Christian (although raised as one), I see nothing contradictory between the Tarot and Christianity. As other posters have commented, however, there are Christian denominations who would see Tarot as a tool of Satan and dabbling with the occult.

Kind regards
Russ

OaksWhispering

I am Catholic. But the cards brought me closer to God and I think it was meant to be that way because I actually grew up around non Catholics who were into Tarot and things. I can barely recall not knowing what Tarot is. Couple of strict Catholics in my life I hide my tarot from but yes I am glad for internet forums or else I too would think I am the only one.

foolMoon

I am a Christian but have not been to church for many years. I still read the Bible and pray, and believe that God gives his answers and messages to us via various mediums such as dreams, intuition and prayers. (No, Neither he seems to have email address, Twitter or Facebook accounts, nor appears to be running Message forums yet.)

To me, Tarot is just another medium (very effective one, if I use decks that speak to me) to get messages and answers to my questions from God.

The Happy Squirrel

This is such an interesting thread :D

I grew up in a second generation Catholic family witnessing the practice of divination and a variety of 'native' spirituality alongside it with no issue.

That bible tarot is amazing. I am a big fan of Dore's etchings.

By the way, this link might be interesting to you:

http://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-history-and-christianity/

:)

ravenest

And I have his Don Quixote. <hunts down Dore Tarot>

edited to add: Rats! They don't take Paypal or cards. I don't do anything else.

Good Lord! I forgot about him! yes, he was in there too. My sister and her partner's ( who was knighted by the recently last King of Spain for services to Spanish Literature) house has large Dore etchings (and others) based on El ingenioso hidalgo don Quijote de la Mancha all over the place ( he is a total nut on Cervantes ) .

Paradise Lost is my fav series.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Paradise_Lost_12.jpg

The Happy Squirrel

I assumed I was found out as an ex-catholic a few pages back ;). No one did tarot anywhere as far as I can remember. It was just vacant from life. Then one day my older sister dressed up like a Gypsy, made a fortune telling tent, got a Womans Weekly Magazine article on how to read playing cards and set her self up at the local hospital's fund raising fete. Nothing else until I found a Thoth deck at about 15 years old and bought it home. I think it caused slightly less consternation than the sitar.

Then many years later I found out paternal granny wasnt granny at all, she was a stand in. They had got rid of real granny just before I arrived ... apparently she was 'weird and strange', she was Spanish and used to have people around for card and crystal ball readings in the back room. :bugeyed: I wish I had met her. Like a lot of women back then , who didnt quiet fit the 'norm' she ended up in an 'institution'. :(

Clos is right about Catholicism and Occultism. has anyone ever been to a High Mass - what a ritual! Actually, spread around the Church walls are a series of pictures that hold a similarity ( a bit ) IMO to the Major Arcana;

http://tccov.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/stations-the-cross-place-setting-801220.jpg

Except it ends around the 'Hanged Man' (what happened to the rest - the Resurrection ? I could never figure out why they left the rest out, the best bit, the Resurection, the Ascension, appearances afterwards, etc ).

If I get time later I will check some details and write up a post outlining what the changes were that turned the church away from Neo-Platonism, Paganism and Hermeticism into the rather narrow and oppressive organisation it became.

Might be a guy called Luther in Germany around the 1500s. But this chat belongs in another thread I hear :) I am not a subcriber (yet) so won't have access to that thread sadly.