Christ-follower who loves Tarot.

ravenest

Might be a guy called Luther in Germany around the 1500s.
That was one of the influences
But this chat belongs in another thread I hear :) I am not a subcriber (yet) so won't have access to that thread sadly.

yes but if I post what I said, I would carefully entwine it with this threads subject matter })

that way it stays on topic and you will be able to read it.

Holland

OH MY GOODNESS! I had no idea what a can of worm I opened.... :D
THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL!!! Your different insight and opinions have truly helped me and I am forever grateful.

Zephyros

What I am missing in this discussion, though, is any actual theological support for claims regarding the evil or lack of in Tarot. When confronted by believer who is in a moral dilemma, I think the best way to calm their fears is by appealing to the kind of authority they not only respect, but believe in. Saying "do whatever you want" may be enough for some, but not all. I know some Orthodox gay men who can justify their lifestyles because of specific verses or tractates. The story of Sodom, for example, may not be against homosexuality, but against raping men.

An example could be "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." This acknowledges that, yes, Tarot really is sinful, but judgement of that is reserved for God. Is anyone here well versed in theology of any kind who could shed some light on this?

Holland

What I am missing in this discussion, though, is any actual theological support for claims regarding the evil or lack of in Tarot. When confronted by believer who is in a moral dilemma, I think the best way to calm their fears is by appealing to the kind of authority they not only respect, but believe in. Saying "do whatever you want" may be enough for some, but not all. I know some Orthodox gay men who can justify their lifestyles because of specific verses or tractates. The story of Sodom, for example, may not be against homosexuality, but against raping men.

An example could be "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." This acknowledges that, yes, Tarot really is sinful, but judgement of that is reserved for God. Is anyone here well versed in theology of any kind who could shed some light on this?
You bring a wonderful insight thank you, especially with Sodom, you have no many times that some people even myself had problems with the story of Sodom, I never thought about it that way.

Richard

.......An example could be "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." This acknowledges that, yes, Tarot really is sinful, but judgement of that is reserved for God. Is anyone here well versed in theology of any kind who could shed some light on this?
Unfortunately, textual critics have discovered that the story of the woman taken in adultery was not part of the original Gospel of John.

There are passages in Paul's Epistles in which it is said that women must keep their heads covered and not even open their mouths in a worship service. When confronted with this fact, those who think they can prove that the Bible condemns tarot can do nothing but mumble something about the customs of the times.

Zephyros

You bring a wonderful insight thank you, especially with Sodom, you have no many times that some people even myself had problems with the story of Sodom, I never thought about it that way.

Well, that's just one interpretation. After all, Lot offered to have his daughters gang-raped by all the men in town in order to save the angels. I don't know why that's considered a good thing, unless it's some Isaac reference.

But anyway, the prohibitions about Tarot could also come in the form of precepts against idolatry. God has all the answers, "praying" (shuffling) to false idols (Tarot) for divine messages would certainly seem to fit this bill. Heck, even the Temperance card in the RWS could be construed as taking the Lord's name in vain, and on a false idol, too!

Point is, I'm not trying to find even more reasons for the devout to shun Tarot. However when someone attacks you with a book the only way to fight them is either to dismiss the book entirely (which many cannot for religious reasons) or turn it against them.

For example, what constitutes a false idol? A "graven image," meaning statue or bas-relief. This precludes pictures, so Tarot isn't an idol. What constitutes taking the name in vain? That's a bit more complicated, but let's say one sees Tarot as holy as prayer, that probably wouldn't mean it's in vain.

And so on.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAADKs/k6F8fuU8y5g/s506/Jesus-and-Odin.jpg

Scibility

James 3 17-18 :)

Over all am I the only 'Christian' out there who does tarot, physic exercises, palmistry ect. ? If not, what is your experience? Has it helped in your path? I just want to know your opinion and inputs. I am very new to this site and to the community.

P.S. Opening up about my beliefs is something very new, I rarely do this(makes me feel uncomfy to be honest). Just thought you should know. I prefer to let my life speak myself than my mouth...then again this a thread, so kinda have to speak my mind. :p. Then again how else can I grow? Blessings my friends.

HI Holland,
I love your honesty. I grew up in a very fundamental/conservative home... attended three services each Sunday, bible studies, home visits, etc. etc. etc..., and over the last decade or so I began to heavily explore the numerous other belief systems of the world. I consider my self very much a Christian, and live my life according to the basic tenets of Christianity (as well as a few concepts borrowed from Buddhism etc.)

Many years ago I stumbled on a book I think it was called "The Gift"? If my memory serves me right, the author duplicated numerous verses in the bible which supported the idea of using spiritual gifts, the difference between old/new testament ideals etc. I remember the book, because it was the first time I was able to begin to reconcile some of the conflicts I had along my path.

It's great to "meet" you. There are many of us on the forum, and I think it's safe to say none of us a thumping our bibles, but still remain firm believers none-the less. Many Blessings to you. If you have a chance, try to find the book. I think the author was Echo Bodine or something really unique like that.

Holland

HI Holland,
I love your honesty. I grew up in a very fundamental/conservative home... attended three services each Sunday, bible studies, home visits, etc. etc. etc..., and over the last decade or so I began to heavily explore the numerous other belief systems of the world. I consider my self very much a Christian, and live my life according to the basic tenets of Christianity (as well as a few concepts borrowed from Buddhism etc.)

Many years ago I stumbled on a book I think it was called "The Gift"? If my memory serves me right, the author duplicated numerous verses in the bible which supported the idea of using spiritual gifts, the difference between old/new testament ideals etc. I remember the book, because it was the first time I was able to begin to reconcile some of the conflicts I had along my path.

It's great to "meet" you. There are many of us on the forum, and I think it's safe to say none of us a thumping our bibles, but still remain firm believers none-the less. Many Blessings to you. If you have a chance, try to find the book. I think the author was Echo Bodine or something really unique like that.

Thank you very much! That does me so good to hear that, much appreciated. I will have to check this book out. Oh yes that was my life too, 3 services of on sunday, and 2-3 more through out the new week and repeat....fun time.