Tarot and other methods - how do they go together?

Farzon

So... I recently met a guy who uses the I Ging. So I took mine of the shelf and used it again since a long time. I has done a weekly reading done days before.

The I Gings predictions naturally differed from the ones of the Tarot, but in the core meaning it did fit very well. This happened two times this week.
What is your experience with combining Tarot worth other methods of divination?

rwcarter

Don't remember where the thread is now (probably over in Oracles?) but I did a number of Tarot and I Ching readings where I used tarot cards to form the lines of the hexagram and then did both I Ching interpretations and tarot interpretations.

I used the process listed at Modified Tarot and I Ching Spread.

nisaba

What is your experience with combining Tarot worth other methods of divination?

A lot of Tarot DECKS actually combine tehm. I've lost count of the decks that associate astrology with Tarot 9which isn't a good mix because the two systems are designed to do very different things). A couple of my decks have Yi Jing hexagrams on the cards, too, and runes and other systems.

I know a bit about runes in particular and a tiny smattering of the others, but I'm a purist. My Tarot practice is my Tarot practice. If I want to use runes, I pull out the unique one-off set of runestones that were made for me alone thirty years ago <grin>, and disregard the runes on cards, the hexagrams on cards, the astrological symbols on cards, and whatever else may be there.

I find different systems have wholly different philosophical outlooks and map differently onto the world, so they really don't fit each other comfortably.

Other people's mileage may differ, and in fact I know it does. Whatever works for you works for you, but I can't make it work for me. I use different systems differently - they were designed to be used differently.

Farzon

@nisaba: Yes, they are very different, starting with the philosophy they were created to express. But I didn't combine them wilfully, I just did I Ging, too. The meanings were overlapping. But I'ma lot into Zen and Asian philosophy, so maybe this also influences my readings. That could be why two different oracles expressed the same ideas to me - because I already interpret Tarot in Asian-like context.

@rwcarter: I have to try this one out! I wonder how you read the cards, though. (but this its possibly a theme for the other thread)

Rosewater

I find different systems have wholly different philosophical outlooks and map differently onto the world, so they really don't fit each other comfortably.

Other people's mileage may differ, and in fact I know it does. Whatever works for you works for you, but I can't make it work for me. I use different systems differently - they were designed to be used differently.

I basically agree with Nisaba. Some Tarot decks try to combine the Runes and I Ching, but for me it doesn't work, nor does it respect the integrity of each system. Numerology is perhaps the one other divination system that can blend in.

I've used the I Ching and Runes sporadically in the past, but never as cards. One day I'll make a thorough study of the Runes, but when I do it will be with specially-made rune stones.

Grizabella

I don't use other methods with Tarot either and, like nisaba, I ignore the symbols on decks that want to put I-Ching and runes and whatever into their imagery. I haven't even bothered to study those things.

I do use Lenormands, but not with my Tarot. They're separate.

wind

I combine psychological astrology with tarot and they work perfectly together - just of course, you need to be versed in both in order to understand how they relate. Here comes also the alchemical imagery which relates strongly to astrology AND tarot, not to mention the common mythic background of both systems. But most importantly, you need to have eyes to see the deep underlying connections and the level of consciousness that is able to perceive unity and one-ness, not just in tarot, but in life in general.

I sometimes play with the Tree of life of kabbalah and this also gives a lot of depth to tarot readings, but I am not at all well learnt in this area, I barely touched it. But if I went there more deeply, it would certainly give new depths and dimensions to my tarot readings.

I was also using I ching quite a lot - and I remember getting the hexagram for 'shock, upheaval'. At the same time I was getting Tower in my tarot readings:) My life experience at the time corresponded to the readings, of course.

In my view, you can combine whatever symbolic systems you feel drawn to - since they are all just different doors to one universal human experience. Differences, however drastic they may seem, are merely superficial.

Human experience is universal even if we seemingly speak different languages. As you said, IN THE CORE, the message of tarot and I ching was the same. Yes, since in the core we are ONE.

I am really happy to hear of this your experience. I find great value in combining, I am all for expansion and including, this brings humans closer, it unites them. And as with hybrids, it is good to mix and spread the genes:) This brings out new qualities and promotes growth, provided of course that it is done with awareness and with good knowledge of the systems you use. On the other hand, sometimes it is ok just to play around:) Many creative solutions can be born out of play and experiment.

So, my point is: I am all for play:D

danieljuk

I did some tarot and lenormand combined readings with a friend privately. I really love how they turned out. They seemed to fit together really nicely. I did a 3 card tarot spread and then had 3 lenormand cards for each tarot card, so 3 tarot cards and 9 lenormand. I felt it added depth and something more to the reading somehow. I read each position as a combination of the cards.

I really like the idea of mixing different techniques and experimenting. However I would hate to buy a deck with both systems on. If I want to combine and mix things up a bit, that is my choice, decks with it already on sort of force you. I am sure there is an oracle or tarot with I-Ching symbols added on or perhaps I just imagined it.

Farzon

However I would hate to buy a deck with both systems on. If I want to combine and mix things up a bit, that is my choice, decks with it already on sort of force you. I am sure there is an oracle or tarot with I-Ching symbols added on or perhaps I just imagined it.

The Haindl Tarot for instance, but it doesn't force you. The symbols are simply there, too.
And it provides a rune-shaped spread as well. I didn't use it for I Ging readings though. I always stay with coins.
I own an I Ging deck, though.
But it feels strange, since you draw a fixed hexagram instead if building it up. Those who have I Ging decks, too: How do you feel about this?