Northern Territory government to repeal centuries-old witchcraft, tarot card law

foolMoon

Where on earth is Northern Territory by the way?

foolMoon

Up the top of Australia going towards Papua New Guinea.

Never have been in that part of the world before in my whole life. Thank you for your info DUNZer.

danieljuk

It's Australia :)

The Witchcraft act here in the UK influenced many countries (sadly like many other historical repressive laws). It was replaced by the Fraudulent Mediums Act in 1951. The aim of the laws was "deception" by fraud using mediumship. Although the witchcraft acts obviously trialled witches to their death :(

These days all EU countries are covered by Consumer Protection Regulations, there is no such witchcraft or mediumship laws. So if you get a bad tarot reading you could sue! here is an article about that from 2008 - http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/apr/06/eu Spirtualists are worried about how can you guarantee you give what the consumer wants? But I do think it's better to protect via consumer laws rather than punish people as 'witches' for their beliefs. Looks like the Northern Territories are going down the same route.

re-pete-a

I guess we had better start suing the budget people and the weather man for making fraudulent predictions even though sometimes they are right ...

ravynangel

deleted :)

Sar

I guess we had better start suing the budget people and the weather man for making fraudulent predictions even though sometimes they are right ...

Very good point.

ravenest

The N.T. has some of the biggest and oldest power zones in the world - many might be familiar with the iconic landscapes of Kata Tjuta and Uluru ?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...=1093&bih=527#q=Kata+Tjuta+and+Uluru&tbm=isch

Law (white man's law that is), up there, is often .... 'unreviewed'. Which may be the reason why they took so long to do this.

We have made soooo many laws the books are full of old ones that, although now irrelevant, are still in the books and so, technically apply.

There used to be one (and still may be) on blasphemy in Australia. I used to do a radio show and I was told it still applied back then. Technically blasphemy was not just a rude attack but even just 'criticising the Christian God or Scripture ' ... so even criticising a bible passage, technically, was a criminal offense :rolleyes: