Crystals and herbs for headaches

Glass Owl

While I get the ocassional migraine, lately I've been suffering from tension headaches. My accupturist and I suspect that they are stemming from the fact that I tighten up my neck and shoulder muscles when I'm under stress. (And maybe because I worry and can't seem to turn my brain off sometimes.) Any suggestions for crystals or herbs that may help with relaxing those muscles and help with headaches?

Hiding in Shadows

I've found that peppermint essential oils are great for migranes. A small dab under the nose is all it takes. You might also visualize the pain dispersing with each breath. I've also had great results with red jasper for headaches. I know that goes against all the books and such, but it works for me. Smoky quartz seems to be a good one as well. It goes without saying that working to remove the cause of the stress should be a priority. Aura fortification and protection stones can't hurt either.

Glass Owl

I definitely check out the peppermint oil. I think I remember others mentioning that icy hot patches seemed to help headaches, maybe its mint smell has something to do with it. Red jasper and I don't seem to get along but I will have to keep out my eye out for smokey quartz and protective stones. Thanks so much.

N1ghts0ng

Hi Glass Owl -
I use peppermint oil for both tension and sinus headaches.
for sinus headaches i put it along the sides of my nose and under my nostrils.
for tension headaches, i put the oil behind both ears and on my temples. I think something about the mentha in the peppermint oil helps to constrict blood vessels a bit, alleviating some pressure. I also put a drop of the oil in one palm and rub my hands together and cup them over my nose/mouth and take long slow breaths through both nose and mouth at same time.

you might also want to try something calming as well, chamomile, lavender, vanilla, you can apply those the same way.

a physical technique i learned to help relax neck/shoulder muscles is an odd one but works for me and might for you.
tighten your shoulders as if you're trying to shrug very tensely, try to bring your shoulderblades back as if you're trying to touch the shoulderblades together across your spine and your shoulders up as if you're trying to touch your ears. hold it tightly for a count of 3 and then release the pressure and let gravity pull your body back to a relaxed state. i do it maybe on an average of 4 times and it helps (tricks??) the muscles to relax a bit.

I definitely check out the peppermint oil. I think I remember others mentioning that icy hot patches seemed to help headaches, maybe its mint smell has something to do with it. Red jasper and I don't seem to get along but I will have to keep out my eye out for smokey quartz and protective stones. Thanks so much.

N1ghts0ng

sorry, just thought of this too...

as far as crystals go, maybe you can try a double-terminated clear quartz or maybe a blue calcite or blue lace agate? i would think since it's your shoulders/neck area being affected by stress then you may want to alleviate the blockage in your throat chakra (tension from maybe not expressing what you're feeling, you're holding it in, this creating the tension).

just a thought... :)

Kid A

Since you see an acupuncturist you may know this already but there is a pressure point between the thumb and index finger in the fleshy web of skin that is good for headache relief, also the back of the head at the base of the scull just under the protruding occipital bone, one between your first and second toes in the web of skin, and one centered above between your lip and nose, I am sure there are a few more also. Also in Reiki there are some hand positions that are pretty universal for headache sufferers that you may be already using, palms over eyes with hands slightly cupped and fingers meeting over third eye, hands on the side of face with fingers together covering temples or even palms covering temples with fingers over top of head, and then reaching down with hands behind head fingers meeting over occipital bone and palms on back of head, palms on the sides of neck fingers meeting in center of back of neck. I get a lot of headaches from being on the computer and reading as well as clenching my jaws and grinding my teeth and between the pressure points, reiki, and aromatherapy they usually don't last very long.

N1ghts0ng

good suggestions Kid A :)

Since you see an acupuncturist you may know this already but there is a pressure point between the thumb and index finger in the fleshy web of skin that is good for headache relief, also the back of the head at the base of the scull just under the protruding occipital bone, one between your first and second toes in the web of skin, and one centered above between your lip and nose, I am sure there are a few more also. Also in Reiki there are some hand positions that are pretty universal for headache sufferers that you may be already using, palms over eyes with hands slightly cupped and fingers meeting over third eye, hands on the side of face with fingers together covering temples or even palms covering temples with fingers over top of head, and then reaching down with hands behind head fingers meeting over occipital bone and palms on back of head, palms on the sides of neck fingers meeting in center of back of neck. I get a lot of headaches from being on the computer and reading as well as clenching my jaws and grinding my teeth and between the pressure points, reiki, and aromatherapy they usually don't last very long.

wildchilde

Hi Glass Owl,

For the neck and shoulder tension I would suggest a piece of Kunzite placed on the back of your neck (or worn as a necklace).

TurquoiseVirgo

I have those kinds of headaches to.. I used one of my amethysts once when I had a headache and it really worked. I also used one of them to relieve pain in my upper back once before to. I used to give in and end up taking baby aspirins for my headaches before I started using Amethysts..

Glass Owl

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I actually was wearing two amethyst bracelets today (because they matched my shirt) and my head and neck was feeling better today. Of course, that could also be because I applied a bit of the peppermint oil as well.

I do have a blue lace agate pendant, maybe I will try that tomorrow.

I haven't heard of Kunzite before. I'm planning a trip to a crystal shop soon and I will see if they have any.

Thanks Kid A for the pressure point information. I have to wonder if maybe some of my tension is also due to tightening my jaw and/or sitting at the computer for long periods of time.