Opals Make Me Cry

GotH

I want a nice sized opal black or white so bad but when I walked into a gem store the other day and saw the prices of them I almost cried. Actually I did cry just after leaving the store because I felt so overwhelmed by one certain opal's beauty. I'm wondering if this is a normal thing? Can anyone tell me why I became so effected by a stone that it brought me to tears? It was strange like I became choked up at some kind of spiritual apparition. I feel kind of silly saying that now but at the time I felt like what an archeologist finding an undiscovered archaeological site might have felt like. :)

rebelgirl1749

I do the exact same thing when I see opals too. They are my favorite gem and my birthstone. The various colors are so vibrant and pretty. I do too have some sort of spiritual connection to this stone too. Depending on how much color there is and how much lighting, I do get very emotional when I see the beauty of the opal. I think it might possibly be because of all the colors and with different colors comes with different energies and that might overwhelm us. But thats just a theory besides that fact that opals are lovely and that we might be more emotional than others. If you do not normally get that emotional then 1 the various colors and energies or 2 It might have a great connection to you and you to it and its quite literally calling to you.

GotH

I do the exact same thing when I see opals too. They are my favorite gem and my birthstone. The various colors are so vibrant and pretty. I do too have some sort of spiritual connection to this stone too. Depending on how much color there is and how much lighting, I do get very emotional when I see the beauty of the opal. I think it might possibly be because of all the colors and with different colors comes with different energies and that might overwhelm us. But thats just a theory besides that fact that opals are lovely and that we might be more emotional than others. If you do not normally get that emotional then 1 the various colors and energies or 2 It might have a great connection to you and you to it and its quite literally calling to you.

I have heard that they are called the "colors or the lights of heaven" and i could totally see this. I am guessing the feeling I'm getting is what it would feel like as my spirit would feel as i was passing on to the other side. Maybe it's a memory.

Thanks for your response. :)

celticnoodle

It is my birthstone as well and luckily, I have MANY opals. I lvoe them too. it is a watery stone--in which I mean it has a lot of water in it, and it needs to be taken care of by rubbing oil (baby oil is okay or olive oil) to help keep it hydrated.

It is a good luck stone and is also known as the karmic stone. I have heard it can bring out emotions in people near it--so this is what is happening to you, most likely. It is also a protective stone and healing. I have one in particular that I wear often--a ring and the opal in it is huge. It seems to calm me completely. It is very vibrant with various colors but overall color is a milky white. Especially when I do rub oil into the stone it shines with the various colors. I love it!

GotH

It is my birthstone as well and luckily, I have MANY opals. I lvoe them too. it is a watery stone--in which I mean it has a lot of water in it, and it needs to be taken care of by rubbing oil (baby oil is okay or olive oil) to help keep it hydrated.

It is a good luck stone and is also known as the karmic stone. I have heard it can bring out emotions in people near it--so this is what is happening to you, most likely. It is also a protective stone and healing. I have one in particular that I wear often--a ring and the opal in it is huge. It seems to calm me completely. It is very vibrant with various colors but overall color is a milky white. Especially when I do rub oil into the stone it shines with the various colors. I love it!

You are so lucky to have so many, I would love to have just one nice piece. It is not my birthstone but I am a water sign like Scorpio so maybe that has something to do with why I'm in love with them.

As far as bringing out emotion in people, it surely did for me!

Pretty!

celticnoodle

beautiful picture!!!

yes, I am fortunate and I received every one as a gift. My brother was on a kick for many years of always buying us girls (his sisters) jewelry each year. He likes opals, knew it was my birthstone and every year woudl buy me an opal piece of jewelry. :p The other sisters got various pieces--sometimes I so wished for a ruby or black onyx like they got-:laugh: but, I do love my opals too.

Then, when I was in a wedding for my best friend, she also bought me opal earrings and necklace. My beautiful ring though came from an aunt.

It makes all my opals extra special to me--coming from the people I love so much.

One opal I would LOVE to own is a fire opal. maybe one day--however, the brother no longer buys us girls jewelry. Only his wife! :laugh: and she gets GORGEOUS pieces of jewelry too! :D

rebelgirl1749

You are so lucky to have so many, I would love to have just one nice piece. It is not my birthstone but I am a water sign like Scorpio so maybe that has something to do with why I'm in love with them.

As far as bringing out emotion in people, it surely did for me!

Pretty!

ooooooohhhhhh! pretty! I almost cried lol

photokat

I go bonkers over opals myself. They're just so irresitible!

Recently when researching opals I came across some interesting stuff. In the earlier part of the 1800s many people were scared of opals and they were said to bring bad luck, which was due to to the book "The Maiden of the Mist" by Walter Scott (1820s).

"The story of Lady Hermione, who is falsely accused of being a demoness, dies shortly after a drop of holy water accidentally falls on her opal and destroys its color. The public took this to mean that this genius author was warning of the bad luck an opal can bring, so they stopped buying the beautiful gemstone."

I've even heard that up to this day, many people stay away from opals. So silly :)

My favorites are Mexican Fire opals, their color makes my heart sing. Hehe

EmpressArwen

I have the same thing with moonstones. I have no idea why but when I see a particularly beautiful, large moonstone, I get very emotional. It's like it's calling to me. I know, weird...lol..but anyway, I get your opal love. :)