Crystal conventions

BeastlySerenity

Hey everyone,
I was wondering, is there a website that shows upcoming crystal conventions or new age type conventions in the U.S.? I'd like to keep track of them when they come to SoCal. Thanks.

shelikes2read

Great link! Thanks!

When you attend a mineral convention, it will be helpful to brush up on the geological side of stones first. If a stone has a new-agey name, find out what its scientific name is. If it has a copyrighted name (Azeztulite, for one, but there are multiple others), then find out what its scientific name is, as well. And be aware that the copyrighted names are most likely only available from one source: the person who owns the copyright. So you are not likely to find any of these stones being sold by other vendors, who legally CAN'T market their items under that name.

I mention this because there are going to be people and vendors who are interested in the scientific side of stones, who do not study nor adhere to any metaphysical beliefs whatsoever. In order to find the stones you are looking for, you will have to speak THEIR dialect, because they won't speak nor believe in OURS. They won't know what crystal helps with headaches nor have any clue what angelite, auralite, merlinite, Melody's Stone/Super Seven, Lemurian, etc. mean.

On the plus side, I have found that the people who are interested in the geological side of stones offer FAR more reasonable prices than a lot of metaphysical sellers, at least on eBay and online. Therefore, shopping at at geology-oriented vendors will save you money. Do your homework in advance, and you'll have more satisfactory results.

Briar Rose

I wish that I had bought that 5 lb. bag of mixed tumbled crystals for $10.00. The bag was a little bigger than a 5lb bag of sugar. I should have got it, and brought it out to my car right away. Oh well- next time.

That's the goodies that await you at a show!

I also saw a Crysocolla sphere (size was in between a golf ball and baseball) for $80.00. Now that's a good price and rare. I wish I got that too. I was buying presents for everyone else that day. And now I can't even remember who I sent what to.

Garnet-Flame

I went to a show just because I wanted to hang out with friends who were going long before I got into crystals, and even back then I thought it was really awesome! I didn't have much money (I was pretty young) but I got a bag of 10 little tumbled stones for $1 and a big piece of rose quartz for free from the kid's basket. I wish I knew about the power of crystals back then and actually had money when I went! Though I just googled and found one in my state that's THIS weekend, but I doubt I'll be able to get a ride.

BeastlySerenity

Thanks for the link and the advice about attending shows!

Darkmage

I also saw a Crysocolla sphere (size was in between a golf ball and baseball) for $80.00. Now that's a good price and rare. I wish I got that too. I was buying presents for everyone else that day. And now I can't even remember who I sent what to.

Depends on where you live. I live in AZ where Chrysocolla is literally as common as dirt--well, almost. Here that would have run you maybe $40-60.

Gem and mineral shows can be a lot of fun and very informative. Most dealers will be coming from the geology side, though, and will probably look at you askance if you start sounding too New-Agey. Ask questions. If you're a n00b, a lot of dealers are rockhounds themselves and will be happy to educate you. Also, look for the magic phrase 'We can talk.' A lot of dealers are willing to negotiate (reasonably) on prices, esp. if they take a shine to you. If there's something you *really* have to have most will work with you to some degree. Just don't ask for a $75 item to be had for $40, for example--that will get you a bad rep at minimum.

Our rock show circuit is usually January-March. I usually go to at least one a year and have known a lot of the dealers since I was a kid. Good luck and happy hunting!