Large Sphere - Jasper? Or something else?

Glass Owl

To my delight I found a beautiful dark green sphere today at the thrift store. It is large, I can hold it in one hand but barely. When I ran a tape measure around it, its circumference measured 40.5cm (just under 16 inches).

Looking a few online photos it looks like it may be jasper. Or maybe onyx? Aventurine?

Any ideas? Here's a photo...

Attachments

• 20140131_171501_resize.jpg
    20140131_171501_resize.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 154

light2000

Hi :)

Very beautifull congrats :)

For me isn't onix for sure. I can't see at the picture but it has a kind of blue light? Check if it is labradorite

Glass Owl

Hi :)

Very beautifull congrats :)

For me isn't onix for sure. I can't see at the picture but it has a kind of blue light? Check if it is labradorite

It is a darker green, the color may look a bit off due to the lighting. I have a piece of labradorite and with this sphere I don't see those brighter blues/green color when I look at from different angles, it still looks green. It does have some swirls in it that a bit different green color and there are some streaks in it that look yellowish or goldish.

I have uploaded another picture. This one is much lighter (due to the flash and how close I was) than what it looks like in average light.

Attachments

• 20140131_171636.jpg
    20140131_171636.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 132

Glass Owl

You Know maybe is the picture, the shpere doen't seem green here, see if it isn't emerald. Not because of what i see at the picture but because of what you describe. Search for emerald ball ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLESALE-R...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=161205686625&

For what i see seems that

That does look similar to it - wow, I wouldn't have never thought of looking at emerald. Thanks for the tip!

I also found this page with some kambaba jasper pieces that look like it too. My sphere has some of those swirls that I see on the jasper pieces although it doesn't have as many as some of them do...

wildchilde

WOW! what an awesome find!!! Go, You! Can't believe how big it is!
It's a bit hard to tell from just pics, but my first instinct is either regular green jasper or an agate, since you have ruled out labradorite (which is what it appears to be in the first pic, but not the second). Regardless, it is a beautiful piece. So happy for you to give it a good home!

celticnoodle

Wow! Beautiful crystal too! What a lucky find for you. And, in a thrift shop! wow! :thumbsup:

stonesatiety

Maybe moss or tree agate. I have some moss agate that looks a lot like this, but mostly green. Nice sphere with nice energy!

Glass Owl

WOW! what an awesome find!!! Go, You! Can't believe how big it is!
It's a bit hard to tell from just pics, but my first instinct is either regular green jasper or an agate, since you have ruled out labradorite (which is what it appears to be in the first pic, but not the second). Regardless, it is a beautiful piece. So happy for you to give it a good home!

Maybe moss or tree agate. I have some moss agate that looks a lot like this, but mostly green. Nice sphere with nice energy!

I don't think it is agate. I have some agate pieces (I seem drawn to it) and this seems different, it doesn't have the bands in it that I see in my other pieces.

Yes, it is a huge piece. I was so afraid I was going to drop it. And then, I had to bicycle home with this stone in my basket. I rode very slowly.

Wow! Beautiful crystal too! What a lucky find for you. And, in a thrift shop! wow! :thumbsup:

Oh, yes, I feel so incredibly lucky and normally I'm not a "lucky" person. I saw it on the shelf (surrounded by a ton of other bric and brac) and my jaw dropped. I grabbed it and immeditately pulled it to my chest. My husband was like, "What are you doing?" and I'm like "Oh, this is mine." I don't know if it was the crystal's energy or what, but I was so protective of it. I still am. I feel like Gollum from Lord of the Rings! My husband started to talk me out of buying it and I guess my glare told him to back off.

I finally dared to look at the price tag and my jaw dropped again. $5.95. Oh course, now I realize that this thing needs a stand or something to put it in. Then, I spot something towards the other end of the shelf. I didn't even need to test it, I totally knew that it was the stand for it and it was marked $3.

When I get to the check out I warn the sales girl that this thing is heavy and to be prepared so she doesn't drop it. I didn't even want to give it to her to be honest. So she rings it up and then walks away with it, showing to one of the other workers and then I start panicking. I don't what they were talking about but then she rolls her eyes and asks what on earth am going to do with this rock. Use it as a bowling ball? She asked like I was crazy for buying it. Oh well, I guess that explains why it was marked so cheaply. It's still a shame though that people don't realize the amazing benefits of crystals, rocks, and gems.

So the moral of the story is, yes, you can find crystals at thrift stores! And this one exceeds my wildest dreams, I never imagined having something like this in my home. Even if I am unable to pinpoint exactly what it is, I think it is so beautiful. And I think its energy drew me to it. Maybe I will do some meditations with it and see what happens.

celticnoodle

Oh, yes, I feel so incredibly lucky and normally I'm not a "lucky" person. I saw it on the shelf (surrounded by a ton of other bric and brac) and my jaw dropped. I grabbed it and immeditately pulled it to my chest. My husband was like, "What are you doing?" and I'm like "Oh, this is mine." I don't know if it was the crystal's energy or what, but I was so protective of it. I still am. I feel like Gollum from Lord of the Rings! My husband started to talk me out of buying it and I guess my glare told him to back off.

ROFL. I can just 'picture' this scene. You should name your crystal "Precious". :)

I finally dared to look at the price tag and my jaw dropped again. $5.95. Oh course, now I realize that this thing needs a stand or something to put it in. Then, I spot something towards the other end of the shelf. I didn't even need to test it, I totally knew that it was the stand for it and it was marked $3.

When I get to the check out I warn the sales girl that this thing is heavy and to be prepared so she doesn't drop it. I didn't even want to give it to her to be honest. So she rings it up and then walks away with it, showing to one of the other workers and then I start panicking. I don't what they were talking about but then she rolls her eyes and asks what on earth am going to do with this rock. Use it as a bowling ball? She asked like I was crazy for buying it. Oh well, I guess that explains why it was marked so cheaply. It's still a shame though that people don't realize the amazing benefits of crystals, rocks, and gems.

So the moral of the story is, yes, you can find crystals at thrift stores! And this one exceeds my wildest dreams, I never imagined having something like this in my home. Even if I am unable to pinpoint exactly what it is, I think it is so beautiful. And I think its energy drew me to it. Maybe I will do some meditations with it and see what happens.

You can be sure I'll be a bit more attentive at the thrift shops for now on, in hopes! Though at the bi-annually book sale in Ithaca, NY, I did find an oracle deck and book--complete, for $2.00 or so. I was THRILLED!! And, one of my customers found the Robin Wood tarot in the local thrift shop for about a dollar--and bought it for me. It has become my 'main' reading deck--for which she is tickled to see each time she comes in for a reading. She always asks me, "Is that the deck I got for you?" But crystals--no, I have not yet found any of these!

I'm sure this will bring you much luck! Enjoy! and share your experiences with it when you meditate with it, PLEASE?! I'm very interested in seeing how you relate to it. :)