what's the best way to learn?

earthdance

I have this oracle deck laying around for some time, I tried to learn to read it but I just didn't seem to connect with them. besides the advice in the book what's a good way to start?

diane drizzy

Hi earthdance!

What I did when I got the FO was to read only the beginning of the book and do the exercises. When I would look at the cards I would intuitively read them and then later compare what the book gave as readings. I had found that very helpful for me, especially since I had never worked with an oracle deck before. I also do a daily card draw and keep that faery with me in spirit during the day. This helps me keep things in perspective.
Funny enough,this would be my desert island deck!:laugh:
Hope this helped.

Jewel

I would like to re-iterate diane drizzi's suggestion. The exercises in the front of the book really brought me into to contact with the Faeries Oracle, and brought the Faeries to life for me. I periodically still do the exercises (every 9 months or so) and the results still always amaze me.

If after doing the exercises (without looking up the meanings of the cards), doing daily draws, if the deck does not connect with you, I think you would be able to trade it pretty easily. All I can say is do not expect it to be like other decks, it is its own entity and unlike other decks it is very very interactive. If its free-form is not to your liking you might check out the Fairy Ring.

earthdance

thanks

thanks for your advices, they really do sound like a great way to start, the only problem is that I am not really a believer, I got this oracle mainly because everyone was talking about it so I said okay I might as well give it a try, they artwork is indeed very beautiful but I am just scared that me not believing will shut off all doors for me to communicate with these creatures. do you think this would be an obstacle?

Alissa

If you believe you can find Truth by dealing cards, be they Oracle or Tarot, I think that's all that matters.

Whether or not you believe in Faeries is less important, I think. It's great if you do. But I don't think Faith is required of the Faeries in order for you to still have good results from this deck.

If your heart is open to hearing Truth, any deck can be the right deck.

lunar_rabbit

Re: thanks

earthdance said:
thanks for your advices, they really do sound like a great way to start, the only problem is that I am not really a believer, I got this oracle mainly because everyone was talking about it so I said okay I might as well give it a try, they artwork is indeed very beautiful but I am just scared that me not believing will shut off all doors for me to communicate with these creatures. do you think this would be an obstacle?

Your question struck a cord with me. I wouldn't say I *don't* believe, but previously had never given it much thought other than to enjoy the mythology of the stories.

But that doesn't seem to matter. Once I realized that the Faery Oracle is as much having a conversation with aspects of your own self, as it is speaking to separate entities, then I became a believer. It opens up a playful side of yourself that we should all learn to love.

Edited to add: Check out this thread http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29785 especially Chronata's response. There is a lot discussed here that is relevant to your questions :)

earthdance

thanks

that's a great topic, thanks for sharing!

sagitarian

faery magic?

This deck of cards has a way (if you let it) to help you see yourself in a very realistic way. It can help you heal what is hurting, exceed in your interests, and inspire you. I've read tarot for 10 yrs prior to getting this deck, and no deck has ever been so active and so communicative with me.

I agree with Alissa, as long as you seek truth, then it doesn't really matter what deck you use, it's a matter of what you feel you communicate, or relate to the closest.

I didn't know it when I first got this deck, how interactive it was, nor how well we worked together. I'm actually on my second deck (as my first bit it hard when I was at a party. Someone spilled an entire beer on my purse and didn't tell me. I didn't find out until long after it was too late, and the cards were warped, the paper seperating itself, the damage was unrepairable). Through using this deck, I've been able to improve my life considerably and help counsel many others in the past. It's also helped me expand my abilities, as well as artistic talents and intersts.

My advice as far as how to connect with this deck (aside what the book offers) is to play with it. Do daily one card reads, or once a month three (or full) card readings. When you have the time, pull them out and just randomly pick one, two or 5 cards to look at and ponder, or perhaps meditate on. Look at what the faeries are doing in the card and try to figure out "why" or for what purpose, here is often where I find the message the faery has for me. Some are playful, some are guiding, some are healing, and some are scary. But all of them have an important role, and important messages. In the book there is a set of questions that you can ask yourself while doing the daily reads. Keep a journal and write down what you see and feel, how it relates, or perhaps it doesn't "relate" at all, but the message is helpful in some way. Go back over what you wrote a few days later and see if it really did relate in some way or another that you didn't see at the time.

I know you don't "believe" in them persay, but I've also found out that some faeries (in my daily draws) come out, not as advice or relation to the day, but just to show me their hangin out with me that day. Sometimes I will feel a bit "bodacious", or a little "Mickle a Muckle", I also have my "slooooowwww" days, and my "rarr" days (too much energy). Some days I'm sad, and Gloominous Doom will show up to tell me that he understands and he's with me, other times, a faery with some advice will show up, or perhaps the Green lady will rise to the top just to make me smile. This deck has no one answer, or "one way", nor "one message for each card". It's really all up to how you interpret that faery, and how it relates, or what you feel and see in the card. They show you your own symbolisms (Inner truths) about yourself, it just takes some time and playing with them to understand them.

I hope this helps a little bit. Please let us know how it's going, or perhaps you could do some practice readings in the oracle section with this deck, just to get in some practice with them. As we all know how hard it is to read for thyself.

Sagitarian