So what are your particular methods for using the cards? - what rituals?

Jewel-ry

firemaiden said:
I don't do any rituals. I have conversations with the cards. I ask a question, and pull a card. Ask another question in response to that answer and pull another card, etc. It helps me think through problems.

I know this is an old thread FM but this is really a good way of using the cards. Do you still read the same way? I suppose you pull as many cards as are necessary to get an answer? I imagine it would be much easier in some situations than actually laying out a spread. I really like it. Will give it a try.

~

autumnsdaughter

My favorite rituals- I like having a candle, it feels like it adds to the focus of the reading. I like some nice music, slow and meditative, as that helps me to get into the zone. Chanting, classical Indian music, drones, any and all of that helps. I appreciate having a nice velvet spread cloth, and various stones help to set the scene as well. Before reading, I take a few moments to slow down my breathing and thoughts, and get centered. And then I am ready.
In between readings, I need to drink water and take a minute to re-center.

Teheuti

Unless using a fan or swirl of cards, I always cut the deck into three stacks to the left with my left hand. I probably got it from Eden Gray but I enjoy having that continuity. The left hand is supposed to be more intuitive.

I also do a short grounding and centering ritual that involves sending roots down into the ground, opening my crown chakra to Spirit and my heart to the querent (or into my own reading space). It's so automatic now that I find myself doing it in the space of a breath or two and without needing to think.

I try to not cross my legs in order to remind myself to stay as open as possible.

I like using a plain velvet spread cloth, too.

peridot

Teheuti said:
Unless using a fan or swirl of cards, I always cut the deck into three stacks to the left with my left hand....

I do too and then I stack em together and shuffle again. I cut again into three, stack them and when pulling a card for the day I pick the top card from the combined pile. Then once I have my card, I have this need to peek at the bottom card. I just do it automatically. I consider how that card is significant as well. I'm actually just now reading these old threads to try to find out more about what this "bottom"? card could stand for. I've heard it called a "shadow" card as well. don't know too much about it... off to search some more... :)

minrice

I cut them this way too! I always have candles, staring off into the flames helps me concentrate and not get distracted. From time to time instead of "smudging" my cards I will cleanse them by putting them in order again, starting with the Majors, and reshuffle. I also like to acknowledge that my higher power if the only one who can truly know the future!

Feretian

I shuffle the RWS like playing cards...shuffle, cut, shuffle, cut...for a long time. The other decks are too large or too thick (especially Housewives) to flappity-shuffle, so I just throw them on a quilt and smear them around. It's a satisfying sensation:) No candles, cloths, or music...actually, it's difficult to find an open surface around our house (books, books, and some other books) so most of my reading is done on a bed. And I like to spread cards outside, somewhere dry and shady (like a big rock).

Peridot, I can't help peeking at the bottom card! Or the one on the bottom of the last cut! Now I don't feel so sneaky since you do it too:D

franniee

I shuffle the cards like playing cards and always use my left hadn and cut them into three piles...because the left hand goes to the heart and I know it is more intuitive. Then I usually pick the middle pile and then the left hand one and finally the right hand one.

i always read the bottom card... it tells me what the story is... then I deal my spread or whatever it is I am doing. :heart: I don't usually deviate. i do let some sitters shuffle their own cards....at least the first time then I do the rest...unless there is an issue and then I let them do it...depends on the connection. Most of the time I do it.

Demon Goddess

I don't have a ritual. I just sort of do what feels right at the time.

I do shuffle the cards like playing cards... even GASP! riffling! like a poker dealer!

After all, to me, they're just cards and it's the message that's important.

HighPriestesss

"Keep it simple"...what a relief to hear!

I was told I needed to ground myself, meditate, pray, etc. before doing ANY reading or I'd be asking for possible negative energy to enter. But when someone says, "Hey! Can you read my cards?" it's hard to focus like that in front of them.

So what I've been doing is shuffling and when it feels right, I close my eyes and ask for "my spirit guides to help give an accurate reading" and have the querent state their full name. I hope that suffices what I was told to do...?

Simple and natural. Yeah!!

minrice

Demon Goddess said:
I do shuffle the cards like playing cards... even GASP! riffling! like a poker dealer!
After all, to me, they're just cards and it's the message that's important.

I riffle mine too! I am not alone! Mwahahahaha!