Shuffling

WooMonkey

In addition to previous concerns about cards being bent or "not treated right"...I also choose to shuffle if it looks like the querent has a cold and has been sneezing, coughing, or rubbing their nose. Sometimes people appear to have the remnants of food or candy on their hands. Then I'm feeling uneasy even letting them just cut the deck.

I find the thought of other people's "stuff" on my cards freaky disturbing! Maybe I should institue a pre-reading hand washing ritual...
:)

heatherjade

WooMoneky: "Maybe I should institue a pre-reading hand washing ritual..."

*dies of laughter*

Actually, that is a fantastic idea for people who allow the querent to touch their cards.

Personally, the only person who has ever been allowed to touch my cards is my husband. The thought of other people touching them just gives me the wiggins.

But if it works for other people hey, why not?

Grizabella

Why not keep a little pump bottle of hand sanitizer on the table along with some pretty napkins or paper towels to wipe their hands dry after using it? In order not to insult the querents by it seeming you're intimating that they're dirty, you could just tell them it's being done in order not to spread whatever is going around. Just about any time of year, there's some bug or other going around.

Agathe

I always shuffle focusing on querents question. Then I ask them to cut the deck towards their heart using their left hand. Then I just spread the cards on the table face down, and ask them to draw whatever the quantity is needed. It's very simple and works for me and I hope the ones I read for (well, there aren't that many of them :D)

silverstep

People seem unconfident when I let them shuffle. I do it while they think of the question and have them cut the deck.

the_surfacer

I agree that people don't seem very confident when they shuffle -- probably because of the unusual size of the cards and because, well, they don't do this every day like we do!

Usually I'll shuffle first and then pass them the deck to let them get in their few awkward passes at shuffling before they cut it. As kilts_knave said, it's to keep the querent involved and engaged. Then again, there are those times now and then when you feel it's just best to keep the cards to yourself.

ravenest

biddy9 said:
You know, sometimes I prefer to shuffle the cards for my client, even if it's face-to-face. I guess I just don't really trust them to program the cards right! Does anyone else ever just take the cards and shuffle them for their client, even if they're sitting right opposite?

Yeah, I've done it a few times. I usually give the cards to the client though as I believe they expect it. One of the handy things about shuffling cards for others is that they dont have to be present for the reading.

I like to cut x3, dont know why, just an old habit I guess, and probably a silly one as I have noticed that the third cut is never used as I never (usually) go beyond a 25 card reading.

tantricknite

readings

I have decks set aside for others to do readings.I have them look at the decks and choose one that resonates with them.I then have them shuffel them untill as I put it "the cards feel like they fall into place".Somtimes they will have another question and I'll pull a card.That works too and shows me that my client,my self and the cards are conected.Afterwards I go through the deck and put all the cards uprite.That seems to clear the deck without taking the extra time it takes to put them all back in order...........

Lurea

krysia322 said:
But as a general rule, with most other spreads, I shuffle, then deal. No cutting.

Do you feel cutting helps the process? That it does nothing for or against the process? Why do you cut if you do? Is it because it feels natural to do so, or because that's how you've always seen it done, or...?

I like to cut the deck. I always feel like, in that instant before cutting, that my fingers are being drawn right to the cards I need in the deck. I just let my fingers do the walking down the sides of the deck. I try not to think about it too long--just a quick slide down the sides, then I'm drawn to one area or another and then I cut.

I would get hung up on feeling for warmth like you do. I'd be there for an hour, trying to get the best feel! :) Plus, it makes it even more magical when certain cards come up repeatedly--I picked them out from the sides of a well-shuffled deck.

krysia322

Lurea said:
I would get hung up on feeling for warmth like you do. I'd be there for an hour, trying to get the best feel! :) Plus, it makes it even more magical when certain cards come up repeatedly--I picked them out from the sides of a well-shuffled deck.
LMAO!

My hands get warm, and/or there's a weird tingly zing along my spine --- if it's really demanding, that "zing" makes me almost uncomfortable, but not necessarily in a bad way. I've also separated the deck for a card, but that warm feeling is generally present at whatever card --or cards-- I pull from the sides of a well-shuffled deck.
:D