Doreen Virtue - positive or just too fluffy?

faunabay

I've read alot of people who say that Doreen Virtue's decks and books are too fluffy or goody goody. They say there's not enough negativity or reality in her stuff. And I can see where they're coming from.

But.....I love reading her books and using her oracles just for that reason. They put me in a positive mood - a positive outlook on my day/week/life/etc. Is that wrong? I don't think so - at least for me it's not at all! It's very helpful.

I know alot of you want reality in your readings. Well actually I do too when I'm doing a straight reading to find out which physical direction I should be taking. But I use Doreen's decks to find out what I should be mentally concentrating on to make my life easier and flow better. When I'm focusing on something positive throughout my day it helps me feel positive - which in turn makes my life happier.

I totally believe that what you think about - concentrate on - is what you draw to you. So I don't want to use a deck where I could draw a "negative" card as my daily card. One day when I was still using my tarot decks to do daily readings (3 card spread) I got three 5's!! I immediately though "uh oh! wow! this is going to be some day!" Of course it was. Now with all those five's it was definitely a day of change and conflict! :D But what's to say I didn't in some way bring about some of that myself because I "knew" I was going to have a day like that?

I absolutely use my tarot decks and other oracle decks that have "negative" cards in them. But I also would never give up my Doreen Virtue "fluffy / goody goody" decks either. What's wrong with decks you can't get a "negative" card from? Why do some of you think these decks are bad?

I'm not in the least trying to start something..... LOL I'm truly curious to hear your opinions. Like I said before I've read quite a few people say this is why they don't like Doreen's decks (too fluffy) but nobody has ever said why they think that is bad????

HOLMES

hmm

I have two of her oracles decks,
healing with the faires, and the archangel cards.

upon reading her books , and seeing the cards she puts out , one has to wonder or ask themselves

what kind of negative message is it that one wants from the angels, the archangels, the saints, and so forth ?

that we are bad people and we are going to hell ? hard for doreen to do that when she comes from a light based course in miracle approach.
that with the fairies, we are wrecking the home that we live in ?
that with the mermaids, we are wrecking our oceans ?
i for one wouldn't want an oracle who is complaining when i know the problems of this world are many.

i think that the angels, archangels, and fairies ultimate goal is to raise our consciousness, and our hearts so we can change our worlds by changing ourselves.

and their simple message ,, here let me grab a card out to explore one.

in fact let me ask the archangels card why their decks are so postive

0. soul card
you are safe

archangel micheal is protecting us against lower energies and guarding us , our loved ones, and our home.

this is saying to me that they wish to tell our souls that we are safe, and to remind us that we come from the creato where our souls are not damaged that our true selves are in no way harmed. and in doing so ,, we can make it through this world we voluntarily come here to experience

1 leadership

archangel gabriel it is time for you assume your leadership power and postion and lovingly guide others.

by focusing on the postive aspects, we are all able to be leaders,, we do not have to go on a mountian for 40 days , and sit in silence for a year in orde to express love, and as we express that love we become leaders of love.

2. gifts from god.

archangel sandalphon , we angels bring you gifts frm your creator. open your arms to recieve.

with the empahsis on the love of the light and giving love now, we can then recieve the gifts and give of them to those we love, and find strenght to do so we dont' yet love .

3.clairsentience.

archangel raguel, notice your recurring physical and emotional feelings as they symbolize divine guidance.

as the focus on postiveness results from using the oracles, we begin to let go of our fears that stop us from recieving divine guidance and start to see ourselves as worthy.

the postiveness of these oracles is not to work on the shadows that follow us,, for to the angels they do not exist but for illusions ,
which it is i for us to realize,
their messages is to reflect that of the creator and the love of the mother earth..
and give us the wisdom and light to face these illusions.

Ruby7

Well I am one of the people who thinks that most of Doreen Virtue's decks are too fluffy---for me---. I don't think that makes them bad, just not for me. It is the artwork that I don't connect with, not the fact that they are all positive messages. I do use the Healing with the Angels deck and connect very well with it, but Healing with the Fairies was not how I see fairies and the Archangels deck is also not one I connect with (gives me very one dimensional readings, completely limits my thought process/intuition).

All the best,
Ruby7

a_shikhs

I too agree about Doreen Virtue decks being a little too fluffy at times.. But i still love her decks and books.. I have 4 of her decks and love all of them.. They connect beautifully and give great positive vibes especially when you are feeling low. Whenever i feel low or a little scared, i sit down with one of her decks and feel safe and protected again. :) I love combining her decks. It gives more insight to the situation. I have her book "Healing with the Angels" and absolutely adore it. It is one of my favourite books. I have read a few other books also by her and love them too.. :D

MCsea

I think that Divine energy has helped Doreen Virtues progress with cards and books, that she has been placed in the right place in the right time and given great guides and intuition, surrounded by a group of thorough researchers and artists and maybe in all that she has helped many many people...

What are 'we' are looking for in our life, why do we look for signs messages meaning.. in general its to help us - in a positive way.

I suppse it is the same argument about do you interpret 'reverse' in the Tarot, focus on squares in astrology.. and you know thats all a personal decision, to be positive or negative or balance.

With 360 degrees there is room for all

Marina

Tarotphelia

faunabay said:
So I don't want to use a deck where I could draw a "negative" card as my daily card.

That's understandable. But, stuff happens . I posted a while ago about a day when I got the 7 of Wands as the card of the Unexpected in my daily reading , and for some nutty reason I thought this (in combination with the other cards ) was going to mean that the nasty real estate agent was going to beat his way in the door. So before I went back to bed (It was a very early morning reading.) I got dressed . Hours later, the bastard had forced his way in and was standing in the living room screaming ! That was one day I was very glad to have a head's up.

I think your choice of decks has to reflect what you want . I have the Healing Angels Oracle , but I personally don't use it on much of a fact finding mission. I see it more as a spiritual growth tool. I don't care for DV's other decks because the art is not what I like. I also sometimes find her attitude that she has the various angels nailed down like simplistic characters in a book rather irritating and presumptuous . (I am secretly waiting for the Oracle of the SaintlyArchangelMermaidGuardianFaerieDolphinAtlanteanProphets of Christ .) <sarcasm>

I think it is worthy to think on higher things and raise our vibration , and try to keep that focus if we can. But I also think there are things we can't control and I would like to prepare if I can .

TemperanceAngel

I agree that Doreen can appear somewhat fluffy at times. But this is the way she chooses to work, only in love and light. I do not believe for a second that she thinks there is nothing negative in the world, but her path is the one that is right for and for her to relay to the world.

Although simplistic, I like the fact that her voice can reach everyone. Sometimes not everything has to be difficult and in her simplicity I think you will find is a purity.

After going to her Goddesses and Angels Seminar last year I think anyone who can allow 1500 people to feel as wonderful as they all did: inspired, positive and happy, really can not be a bad thing at all?

The world needs love and light after all, and people need to feel that too.

Chronata

This is a great thread, faunabay.

one that really made me sit and think.

I am one of those people that aquired all the Virtue decks, then gave them all away, and then...for some reason I couldn't explain...had to get a couple of them back.

I guess what it is...is that I want the cards to give me some honesty. I don't read for myself often, but when I do, I almost always use an oracle deck.

And I am good at seeing the positve spin in any "negative" cards for myself anyway...I think I just need to know that there is a layer of criticism under the sugar coating.
Like...if there is a challenge...if I am being a bonehead...if I am refusing to see some negative patterns, or things in myself...I want to know it, so I can work on changing it.

It's interesting that one of my very favorite decks...the Celestial Wisdom Cards...also has no challenging cards in it. Nothing negative. I only realized this quite recently too.(although the second edition does have cards that are slightly less fluffy as an addition)

I really can't read my "Healing with the faeries" deck for myself anymore, unless it's in combination with another deck. It's because I want the bare honest truth...whether I listen to it or not. :D

But occasionally I will use it in a sensitive situation... with a client who wants to heal so bad that she is hurting, and literally crying. There are times that a gentle word, a soft message...a bit of fluff to comfort and ease the pain is all worth it.

Kahlie

I can frankly say I have none of her Decks nor any of her Books. It's not on my list to buy them.

Yes, I'm bothered with Decks that are only filled with positive messages. It's nice to feel good, it's nice to hear good news... but that is not always what we need. I'd rather have a friend, that knows that I need to hear the truth, the reality and realise what's going on, then one that always pats me on the back. The same counts for Oracles.

Yes, I know Angels can bring 'negative' messages/challenges. Because one of the good ways of raising consciousness and create ease and flow in your life is by working on those parts of your life in which things aren't going so well.

So the 'negative' messages my Angels have brought me personally are:

"Your Judgement is not allowing you to feel the love of God"
"Your Fears are keeping you back from truly reaching for your own potential"
"Your Past needs to let go of, the Now is more important"
"Protect Yourself."
"You need to acknowledge Negativity and deal with it"

And many more. I do believe it's important people deal with issues like these, and that those help our own growth much more then getting pats on the back.

Dealing with those places where our growth has been stunted, is there where the greatest problems hide the most wonderful gifts. Just getting nice fluffy fertilizer also makes us grow, but not in the places where we most need to...

I'm not opposed to anybody making anybody feeling good. The thing that crops up is... after that effect is gone... are they truly 'better' people? More able to love, sing, dance and enjoy the beauty that is life?

Just some thoughts,

Kahlie

FantasyWorld

I have mixed feelings about her work. I think she puts too much out too fast. However, oddly enough, I looked at my Healing With Faires deck and was going to put it up for trade and then couldn't, decided to keep it. I really think my newest Magical Unicorns deck is bit too fluffy though but love the Unicorns and I love the artwork but for Divination, it's a bit much.