Study Group Post 2- Sun and Moon through the houses

dimwem

Newbie back. :D
Can several planets be in a single house? Can houses not have any planets? From the looks of my natal chart I don't have anything in 6 of my houses. While the sun and moon aren't in the same house, the sun shares with others.

Minderwiz

dimwem,

Yes and Yes

There's no reason why you shouldn't have more than one planet in a house - indeed it's a very likely occurance. Mercury and Venus are never far away from the Sun, so they often fall in the same house. It's quite possible to have five or six planets in the same House (especially if you use the outer planets)

Similarly as there are only 7 classical planets there must be some houses that don't have a planet. Even if you include the outers, the total only goes up to 10, so at least two houses must be untenanted.

Classical Astrologers never had any problem with this - they used the house ruler (planet ruling the sign on the house cusp) to anaylse affairs of the house. Modern psychological approaches can (and I emphasise can, rather than must) have problems with untenanted houses because many Astrologers dont' really understand the use of house rulers.

olivia1

Interesting and informative thread, Nik. Thank you for sharing.

My Sun is in the 7th House . I don't really like it, but it is true that I spend a lot of time focusing on relationships. Not just my romantic ones (although, I do think an awful lot about my romantic relationships). However, I also enjoy relationships in general. I love reading books on psychology, people profiling, astrology..anything that will help me better understand how people think and feel and how these factors influence their interactions with others.

I also enjoy animal to human relationships(how dogs bond with people, with other dogs, other species, ect). Basically, if its relationship oriented, I will probably interested. I am not sure if I would say I am popular, though. I am definitely able to draw people in. Even during times when I am not outwardly inviting. However, I enjoy observing(more than interaction) and learning about relationships from reading the opinion of people who I deem as "experts." I am able to "make friends" just about wherever I go, but I very rarely follow up on them.

My Moon is in the 9th House. and its interesting that you mention that for those with their moon in the 9th House "Practical knowledge is often obtained through dreams or meditation." I think a lot of my knowledge come from real life experience but when I have a very important question and I cannot find the answer in my waking life, I turn to my dreams. It doesn't matter if the question is predictive; "how x feels about me;" or just advice on how to handle a situation, the answers I get are usually really good.

dimwem

Sun in the 2nd House - If a person is born with a Second House Sun, the emotions and well-being often hinge on attaining wealth. Or there is a desire to appear as if it's already been achieved. This person is not easily moved into strongly suggested directions and stubbornness will accompany the Sun's energy in this house.
Moon in the 3rd house: People with the moon in the third house are very good at remembering things in excellent detail. They are not very well suited for repetitive or routine job as they have to keep their mind focused. They are frequently in their own world, daydreaming or living in a world of fantasy.
I don't see myself as the sun in the 2nd house at all. I really don't care about money beyond what I need to keep my family happy and healthy. I don't care how people see me (I rarely wear makeup and sometimes even brag about bargain shopping at yard sales). I am very go-with-the-flow and love to hear differences of opinion to see if somehow I am wrong.
The moon in the 3rd house, however, is me to the tee. I can remember where a certain picture is on a page or the exact phrasing of a quote in books. I also know lots of random factoids like "Did you know that porcupines can climb trees?" I am always day-dreaming, even during car trips I'll turn down the radio so I can concentrate on my latest story line that I'll never write down but want to anyway.

Both the Sun and Moon are near the next cusp (Sun near 3rd and Moon near 4th, almost on the line). How does that change how the chart is read?

Also, are there a different number of degrees per house or do they all have the same number of degrees?

Minderwiz

W orking backwards:

There are two general approaches to house construction. The first uses 30 degree segments for each house, so all houses are equal size. These systems differ on where the first house starts - not all start with the Ascendant. If the Ascendant marks the cusp of the first house in these systems, then the MC and IC are very rarely the cusps of the 10th and 4th respectively.

The second general approach is the quadrant approach. These fix the Ascendant and Descendant as the first and seventh cusps and the MC and IC as the cusps of the tenth and fourth. These four points mark out the 'quadrants' of the chart. Each quadrant is then subdivided into three equal sections, either on the basis of time or the basis of space (I won't go into the difference between these unless you really want to know)

Secondly does coming near a cusp make a difference on how the house is read - Yes and no, Traditionally Astrologers treated a planet within 5 degrees of the cusp of the succeeding house as being in that house, so If your second house Sun is within 5 degrees of the third house cusp, it would be read as a third house placement. Subject to that modification the house would be read as normal.

Incidentally the reading of the second house as 'money' needs a little care. The second house is your moveable possessions and resources - money clearly is a large part of someone's material possessions but it is not the full extend of those. Thus if you 'value' your possessions and express yourself through them, either by the way that you select them, display them, use them, then that could also be seen as a second house Sun effect, if you take a psychological approach. There's also an element of 'skill' as well - the skill with which you earn your resources and possessions.

Ashtaroot

• in the 6th House - With a Sixth House Sun, this person will either be of service to others, or the opposite will be true. It's common for this person to prefer hands-on work, as opposed to being an administrator, despite the fact that they're gifted with the ability to govern.

well family for me is very important and I am always there to anyone for anything ..yes yes yes can not do admin work I am an artist I love to work with my hands.

1st house: People with the moon in the first house are usually hyper sensitive. Although they are very restless, easily changed and easily hurt, they are quick and easy at making new adjustments when needed. Their feelings constantly change which means that it is hard for them to make lasting plans. They need a partner who can respect them, be loyal and cope with the frequent mood swings. They care a lot about physical appearance
and appearing healthy.

this is totally me and yes I am highly sensitive in everyway you can possibly imagine...my hardest thing in life is that I care too much about what other people feel .. it is very important to me that everyone is happy. and yes it is always important how a person looks it says a lot about the character ;)
Moon in first I am guilty
it is impportant the way the outside world see me:bugeyed: te he he in a way that they see the true me and not what they think if you know what I mean

Professor X

My Moon,Sun and Venus are in the 12th House.
With the Sun and Moon in cojunction of 5 degrees.

It makes for a lonely and solitary existence.
However it also gives me great ability to study and learn the occult arts.
I am a natural at occult things. I picked up the basics of the Tarot pretty fast. In my alone time I study and read things which comes naturally because I am a Virgo.

faerieluca

My sun is in the fourth house, Scorpio. I have long struggles with a conflict between my desire to be a domestic goddess and my fear of being too trapped in a female gender role. Now, reading about sun in fourth I'm wondering how this conflict shows in my chart.

I am very much a nester, tied to home. My family is a little scattered and I think I have always felt alot of loss about that. I do have some significant conflict/disengagement with my father, so that is interesting as well.

My moon is in the 10th house, Taurus. I do have a great desire for recognition and appreciation and I tend to wither without it.

lilangel09

Thank you for the information Minderwiz. I didn't know that the Sun and Moon are in the same house when a New Moon occurs. I will keep in mind what you've said about the Sun and Moon as a very general thing.

1st House Sun
I can be foolhardy when it comes to doing what I think is right. I am very inner-directed so I am usually rushing around or busy. I am reasonably confident and have good self-esteem. I have a lot of pride. When I know what I want, I am decisive; when I don't know what I want, I am very indecisive. When I have a passion, I won't let public opinion stop me from continuing it. Since I was little, I've wanted to be self-employed. When I'm among good friends, I light up and I am very enthusiastic, loud, and dramatic.

1st House Moon
Describes me to a T. I am very moody and sensitive. I'm indecisive about choosing a career, so I think I will have several careers in my lifetime.

isthmus nekoi

Thanks for organizing these study groups, 214red :)

I have a 12th house sun and a 10th house moon. One placement is very private, while the other is very public. In public, it is easy for me to be outgoing. I enjoy large crowds, noisy parties, have no problem networking with strangers, and have no fear of public speaking which may lead people to believe I am an extroverted person although this is not true at all - being alone/quiet is what recharges me. Like many 12th house suns, I take well to quiet, dark places and work well alone in the wee hours of the morning.

As a sort of compromise, I have found that I am willing to be very public, etc. but only if it is for a cause or larger organization. I am very sensitive about my reputation. Because I do so much work for various organizations and spend a lot of my time organizing for various communities, I inevitably become a more public figure, yet I am always surprised/uncomfortable when I am personally recognized for my work, esp if ppl really lay on the compliments. I find I can easily step out of the limelight by focusing on the organization or cause I am affiliated with. A complimentary principle applies for criticisms. If I work for a cause I believe in, I have absolutely no problem being out on the front lines, taking hits and the flak for an organization which is a common experience for the 12th house sun (to have crap projected onto you that is not really personal).

Certainly there are other planets (esp Mars) that contribute to this dynamic as well, but I think I've written enough!