Similar decks to the Playing Card Oracle?

Bernice

Oh! I rather like the look of Wagner's "Ring" Playing Cards.

Thanks Cardlady22 :)

Bee x

Wendywu

I really fell for those German Renaissance cards - luckily I found them on Amazon UK :D. I really should stop reading threads like this!

Lela

Bernice said:
Oh! I rather like the look of Wagner's "Ring" Playing Cards.

Thanks Cardlady22 :)

Bee x
Oooh, those are lovely.

Le Fanu

autumn star said:
I just realized that Lo Scarabeo also makes a lot of illustrated playing cards here: http://www.loscarabeo.com/ing-catalogo.aspx?p=8353. Does anyone have any of these? I thought that the Alice in Wonderland or the Living Flowers decks seemed appealing.
Only now??? OMG, I love these. But beware, the newer ones (2010 release) are on hideous cardstock, I fell off my chair when I saw the da Vinci Playing Cards (same illustrations as the Da Vinci Tarot, but on playing cards and not at all like their tarot cardstock).

But I totally :heart: the older LoS playing card decks. The Grand Dukes of Tuscany is my favourite. I have loads of these; for cartomancy, patience/solitaire, playing real card games. I love these ones, absolutely love them. And the Dumas ones are gorgeous too. And the - already mentioned - Goethe ones.

But the Medici/Grand Dukes one is the best IMO :thumbsup:

autumn star

cardlady22 said:
Don't forget these by Prospero Art, if you like Alice.
http://www.prosperoart.com/

And then there are the US Games Natural World decks that I keep meaning to compile into my own Best Card Oracle Ever. Virginijus Poshkus, who did work on the Radiant Waite deck, did many of them. What's the UK/European equivalent publisher that does all the novelty playing cards of animals, flowers, etc? Very high quality as well.

Heritage Playing Card Company

I love those Alice Cards :) Thanks for the suggestion.

For anyone interested the Playing Card Oracle by Ana Cortez is available again at the Book Depository - I ordered it last night :) I think I will end up ordering some of the LS playing card decks ~ shame about the card stock though.

Le Fanu

autumn star said:
I love those Alice Cards :) Thanks for the suggestion.

For anyone interested the Playing Card Oracle by Ana Cortez is available again at the Book Depository - I ordered it last night :) I think I will end up ordering some of the LS playing card decks ~ shame about the card stock though.
It depends which ones you get. The recent ones; da Vinci, Milan, the 2010 releases.. the older ones are fine. My Dukes of Tuscany is on fabulous cardstock.

ETA; PC oracles not coming up at the Book Depository for me... :(

autumn star

Le Fanu said:
It depends which ones you get. The recent ones; da Vinci, Milan, the 2010 releases.. the older ones are fine. My Dukes of Tuscany is on fabulous cardstock.

ETA; PC oracles not coming up at the Book Depository for me... :(

When I was looking for the deck and it wasn't available I clicked on the notify me button (at Book Depository), to let me know when it was available. I got an e-mail about a day ago saying it was back in stock but they had no guarntee for how long depending on how many people were waiting for it. So I ordered it straight away. It must have sold out, or they only had a small number - that was really quick!

If you are looking for one Ana Cortez still has copies available. I e-mailed her last week and she was really helpful but said that she didn't have many left, that's why I was so suprised it was available at BD. Her website is http://anacortez.com/

Now, I just hope that I ended up ordering the deck and not the book or something ... :)

ETA: I just checked my order and it doesn't really specify if it's the book or deck. I just called Playing Card Oracles and has a certain number of pages - so perhaps it is just the book - disappointing, that's ok I will just have to order the deck to go with it.

cardlady22

I am seriously hoping for a reprint- either by US Games, or for a new publisher deal to be permitted. Maybe even a special edition of some of the other variations of her father's art. A girl can dream . . .

Le Fanu

Thanks for that autumn star... I was thinking merely of a back up so it isn't so urgent. I have the U.S Games edition plus I was lucky enough to receive (via a competition on Ana's site) the rare signed first "Two Sisters" edition, the deck ("Picture Book of Ana Cortez") before it was picked up by U.S Games, which has slightly different backs...

If I see one around cheapish I might buy it, but it isn't urgent. Ana herself has said that she will do everything she can to make sure this deck is always in print.

lark

cardlady22 said:
I am seriously hoping for a reprint- either by US Games, or for a new publisher deal to be permitted. Maybe even a special edition of some of the other variations of her father's art. A girl can dream . . .
I'm a member of her forum and she is doing a reprint and some of the cards will have different paintings on them...her father died recently and she has discovered more of his art on settling his estate....
So she is working on getting a new deck printed incorporating some of that art.

So stay tuned it should be good!
She wants to use a silkier card stock, more matt, and she is going to use the first version backs.
I was the lucky duck who won the other original printing deck and it is really nice.
I use it exclusively now, I love the matt card stock so much better, than the USGames slippery one.