anna k 2 of swords don't understand

nortytiger

hoping I am posting in the right place. I have looked at the anna k threads and I can't seem to find an answer there

I have recently got the anna k 2nd edition

The 2 of swords in this deck is confusing me as it seems to be very different from the other 2 of swords cards I have seen in my limited experience.
the card shows a man instead of a woman, not blindfold and the swords are not crossed

my interpretation so far
he is looking to the right so is either facing the future or he does not want to look at his choices as he could if he wanted to as he isn't blindfold?
the swords are point down in sand what does this mean?
both swords are not equal in position though so I don't see it as a balanced choice and I always thought that the 2 of swords was balanced
the rough sea indicates turmoil?
does the moon mean that he is "in the dark" and does not have enough information or that he feels his choices are bad?
I have no idea what the red ribbon means or the spilling sand, the shells, the cracked floor?

can anybody help me with this card?

Thirteen

This is the image, correct: http://www.annak-tarot.at/Anna_Englisch/arkana_kl_e/swords_e/swords02_e.html

Actually, this shows off the usual meaning of the 2/Swords quite well. 2/Swords is often about a temporary compromise. The conflict is not resolved, but the two sides have put up their swords. The stormy sea shows that there are still issues, wild emotions. This is also emphasized by the moon, symbol of emotions, and the red ribbons also hint at blood feuds, at wounds inflicted. These two sides will go back to fighting again unless something more is done. But, for now, the swords are point down, standing apart, not in use. As if two fighters angrily buried their swords and stormed away. It's been agreed, no fighting.

In the usual RW deck, the blindfolded woman indicates either a blind justice feel (she's not favoring either side) and/or that she doesn't want to really get involved. She'll stem the conflict with compromise (take away the swords), but only because she wants to stop the fight, not because she wants to resolve the issue. (Think of a tired parent with two bickering kids: "he did it!" "No! She did it!" they scream. And the parent says, "I don't care who did what, you will go to your rooms now!" The conflict and resentment continues to simmer between the two kids, unresolved. But the fighting has stopped for the moment).

We see likewise here with this elegant gent who we assume is an official or magistrate--like the Prince in Romeo and Juliet who tells the feuding families that there will be no more fighting in his city. He is looking away from the swords and the stormy seas of conflict. So long as the swords aren't being used, he figures his job is done. He can pay attention to something else.

Tibor

I never thought really deeply about the symbols on this card because just by looking at the card I can feel all that is to do with the two of swords.First of all the facial expression of the man (or woman) standing is of great anxiety and worry,It could also feel like he or she can not make up his/her mind about something.The situation is such that he/she cant escape without making a decision however the only exit out of the situation is blocked by the two swords and of course there is the red ribbon.Red is associated with passion,strength,vitality but also war, aggression and danger.I think the more negative aspects are more important in this case. So maybe the two swords represent the dilemma that he/she is faced with or two conflicting aspects of a situation and the red in this case indicates danger or the STOP sign, especially if we look outside and see the rough sea (which could also refer to his/her unconscious desires or motives that can be dangerous if applied to resolve the situation).To add to the tension of this card we have the crescent moon and the cracked floor (cracking up within).The shell is connected with birth,creation,womb so they could refer to the new potential that is inherent in the situation and that he/she could take advantage of the small shells (new options about to be born) scattered around (it actually looks like the sand is 'offering' him/her the shells to help him/her resolve the situation).This is of course my own interpretation but hope you will find it helpful.

Thirteen

By the by, you keep mentioning "choices" in your post. 2/Wands is about looking at 2 choices and deciding on one over the other. 2/Pents is about juggling two things (like juggling two jobs). 2/Cups is about two halves meeting and recognizing something more can come of this.

2/Swords is about two conflicting views battling for dominance. Rather than pick one over the other, the person puts them both on hold; forces them both to remain equal and stop fighting. But as with all 2's, this situation isn't stable and can't remain that way for long.

Thirteen

Tibor said:
The situation is such that he/she cant escape without making a decision however the only exit out of the situation is blocked by the two swords
I like this point! It reflects, in its way, the usual blindfolded woman in the chair with the swords. She's in a position that she really can't leave without making some decision. Likewise this gent, as you say, trapped by his indecision, by his attempt to stop the conflict by implying he'll decide later or that both are equally right.

It's not over, and he's not leaving till it is. All he's getting is the illusion of temporary peace. Ignoring that storm outside isn't going to make it go away.

Tibor

To be a bit more dramatic :)

Also looking at the whole picture we have this contrast of being physically inside the building (being surrounded by the walls) this representing the conscious 'safe house' that you built up for yourself to protect yourself from the outside (the rough sea, the dark night). And you put the two swords in between the two realms to try to protect yourself from getting hurt. However as we know from psychoanalytic studies your unconscious will inevitably catch up with you (the sand flooding into the building) the two realms are merging at great speed. You dont have much time. The time is ticking......

nortytiger

oh I have so much to learn...

Thirteen, yes that is the image, sorry I wasn't able to post a link.

I love the comparison with the children fighting, funnily enough my 2 kids were doing just that when I was trying to post the question! I will now always remember that whenever I draw this card.

Possibly the fact that I was seeing this card as "choices" is where I got myself confused, because the man is not seated or blindfold I got the feeling of movement and having to make a decision between 2 choices rather than being at a standstill. I hadn't thought about the swords blocking his exit or about him turning his attention away.
thank you Tibor for your input on the shells, floor and sand too.

the swords not being identical in position had also made me feel that despite not favouring either side, one side was presenting itself rather than having a balance, thirteen your clarification on the 2's has helped, I now see the swords being in slightly different positions as showing that the situation isn't stable, I see now, a temporary stalemate.

Thank you both for the replies, I will spend some more time with this card and refer to your insightful interpretations and see if I can get more comfortable with it.

Herzog

also with this version you have an opportunity to place an additional card to the right and actually see what this figure is deciding over, or why he cannot make the decision... what's holding him up etc...

Sulis

When I first saw this card the phrase 'leaving emotions at the door' came into my head because the swords stand in the doorway where we can see the stormy sea. It's as if the person in the card is trying to use logic to make a decision and not take any notice of his troubled feelings which he has turned his back on (so very much like the Rider-Waite-Smith's card meaning for me).
The swords at the door wrapped with red ribbon make me think that some sort of truce has been reached and the swords are balanced on their tips so it's a short-lived or uneasy truce or peace. I think the sand from the beach blowing in through the door also gives the message that this is a balance that can't last for long. Something's got to give, a decision must be made.
I think this card conveys the message of the 2 of Swords really well.

nortytiger

HerzogisGod, I like the idea of placing an additional card I will have a play with that.

Sulis, reading your post has now made me see the "cracks appearing" on the floor as an indication of not being able to hold things back for long, the situation is about to erupt and he will have to face it.

am I getting it now at all?

I am in awe of you all, your description of what you see in the cards leaves my limited (and off-the mark) interpretation somewhat lacking.

my brain hurts.