Manga Tarot: The Fool

Mellifluous

CathS said:
One of the things we often forget about the Fool on her or his journey, I think, is that as much as the Fool is changed by the people she meets, so they are changed by the meeting also. I think this card is a beautiful reminder of that.

Well observed. :)

Blackash

A lot has been said on the Fool, but I thought I'd add in my two cents:

“A young woman dressed in clothes once lavish, now torn, moves closer to the edge of a ravine. Flowers sprout where she walks. It is the nature of things that space desires to be filled.”

No Glyph. No season. Monochrome color.

She is beautiful and as the LWB indicated is wearing clothing that was once lavish. She seems to have fallen from some great height (not literally, but gone from rich to poor or something to that affect). Despite this, she does not seem to be sad. Her posture is very assured. From the bottom she can begin again, start anew and recreate herself.

“…zero is also the endless circle and cycle of life, without beginning or end…” –Josephine Ellershaw

Thus she is not the typical fool, but she still conforms to the cycle the fool represents. She has gone around once and is now starting again.

Or perhaps, she started her life in some high place and now must make her own journey and earn her place in life without dependence on others. She must build herself up from nothing. She appears ready for this task.

The girl is covering her eyes, but she walks steadily, sure of where she is going. This might be considered foolish, considering that she is walking ever closer to the edge, but she seems to either trust in herself/her instincts or in some higher power to guide her.

Where she steps, flowers bloom, perhaps indicating her hidden potential. She might be magical, or simply have unexplored powers. Perhaps whatever makes the flowers bloom where she walks will save her from her fall, or help her to fly…

At her side is a beautiful Akita, loyal until the end. He mirrors his master’s faith in either herself or some higher power in his absolute devotion to the girl. He watches her instead of looking where he is going, focusing completely on the girl, trusting her to lead him well.

We cannot see what lies at the bottom of the cliff, but in the distance we see rising mountain peaks and a sky that is either peaceful or turbulent, the weather is ambiguous due to the coloring. This is probably intentional and meant to add the number of possibilities this card represents.

Mellifluous

Blackash said:
She is beautiful and as the LWB indicated is wearing clothing that was once lavish. She seems to have fallen from some great height (not literally, but gone from rich to poor or something to that affect). Despite this, she does not seem to be sad. Her posture is very assured. From the bottom she can begin again, start anew and recreate herself.

“…zero is also the endless circle and cycle of life, without beginning or end…” –Josephine Ellershaw

Thus she is not the typical fool, but she still conforms to the cycle the fool represents. She has gone around once and is now starting again.

Or perhaps, she started her life in some high place and now must make her own journey and earn her place in life without dependence on others. She must build herself up from nothing. She appears ready for this task.

The girl is covering her eyes, but she walks steadily, sure of where she is going. This might be considered foolish, considering that she is walking ever closer to the edge, but she seems to either trust in herself/her instincts or in some higher power to guide her.

This is one of my favorite things about the fool card as a tarot concept. If you've ever been hurt before or failed or had bad experiences, it takes so much to start over again, to take a risk. You literally have to stop looking at or thinking about everything that could go wrong again, and let yourself live again, try again.

It's not 'foolish' in the pejorative sense; it's incredibly brave and absolutely necessary if you're going to go on and find happiness or whatever type of 'success' you're looking for.

It's also, exciting, exhilarating and fun a lot of times. :) There's nothing like conquering a fear and getting something sweet in return for it to make you feel good about yourself and life.