Manga Tarot: The Sorceress

Mellifluous

Ocean Light said:
You know what... I completely didn't see that orb above as a sun at all until you and the others mentioned it, and I wonder why that is. I still don't know if I'll see it as a sun now, but it's definitely food for thought. Personally, I had seen it more like a concentrated ball of energy... created from her power/magic as opposed to drawing the sun down. Now I'm really wondering what that orb was intended to be!

I don't think it necessarily is the sun... but it is easy to see it as such and probably to see it as other things at other times. I think it's definitely left open to interpretation by the artist. (I could see it as an energy ball she's created as well. These days it's striking me as the sun though.)

Ocean Light said:
That's true. Most Magicians I've come across looked a lot more stationary than this sorceress. There's more action portrayed here, I think... and now that you mention it, I have to say I like this aspect of the card as well.

Yes, it's very dynamic for someone who is 'just standing there'. Certainly, in other decks, the figure usually is just standing there but here you can see she's actually doing something besides posing with her tools.

Ocean Light said:
This got me thinking. Other suit symbols are missing in this card. While the essence of the card is still portrayed beautifully as you've said, I wonder if this limits the meaning often read into many Magicians as in the aspect where they're the jack of all trades but the master of none (yet)?

You know, that exact phrase actually went through my mind last night, even though it's not a meaning I have for the Magician (or a phrase I like, in general). Some sort of synchronicity must be at play here...

I think the artist has pretty much covered the other suits through use of color and illustration. The red is what I would associate with wands, the yellow (and paler shades of red-orange) cover the cups/emotions, and that you get a sense of things being made real and/or work being done covers pentacles for me. So, maybe by leaving it out she's actually managed to expand the meaning instead of limiting it. No small feat! And the card is so beautiful, too. Well done, I say. :D

Although, of course, if it's important to the reader to have a representation of that limitation somewhere in the deck then it is omitted here... hmmm. I wonder if there's another card that picks that up. Can't think of one off the top of my head, but there probably is. Meanings often seem to be shifted around from one card to another throughout this deck.

Or maybe it's just a more empowering deck! No limits! :joke: I'm sure we'll see where that experience is (or if it is there at all) if we get through the whole deck in these threads.

Ocean Light said:
Have I mentioned I'm really loving this study group?

Yeah, it's pretty fun, huh? :party:

Blackash

Kind of went crazy with the color symbolism, but it certainly put this card in a new light for me:

“Decision-making ability, beginning of a journey, courage, energy. Will and equilibrium are the basis of every action”

Glyph: Spring: a time of beginnings and new growth, appropriate for this card which typically signifies potentials.

Although the season is spring, the colors of the card are primarily red and yellow. Because red is the color of blood, it is associated with strength, health, and passion, negatively it can be seen as a sinful and indulgent color. The ancients believed the sun brought knowledge as well as light; the brightness of the sun bringing brightness of the mind is a reasonable explanation for yellow signifying the mind and the intellect.

More on red:

Recognized as a stimulant, red is inherently exciting and the amount of red is directly related to the level of energy perceived. Red draws attention and a keen use of red as an accent can immediately focus attention on a particular element.

How the color red affects us mentally and physically:
* Increases enthusiasm
* Stimulates energy
* Encourages action and confidence
* A sense of protection from fears and anxiety

Furthermore, red is the color of the base or root chakra. This chakra is located at the base of the spine and allows us to be grounded and connect to the universal energies. Groundedness, trust, belonging, lessens feelings of mistrust.

Note: Sorceress has interesting parallels to Fudo: MYŌ-Ō 明王. The Myō-ō (Myo-o) are warlike emanations who represent the luminescent wisdom of the Buddha, and guard the four cardinal directions and the center. Fudō is the best known of the Myō-ō deities, and one of the main deities of the Shingon sect of Esoteric Buddhism. He is often painted red. The red flames of Fudō’s aureole are said to represent the purification of the mind. Fudō converts anger into salvation; has furious, glaring face, as he seeks to frighten people into accepting the teachings of Dainichi Nyorai; carries "kurikara" or devil-subduing sword in right hand (also represents wisdom cutting through ignorance); holds rope in left hand (to catch and bind up demons); often has third eye in forehead (all-seeing); often seated or standing on rock (because Fudō is "immovable" in his faith).

More on Yellow:

Yellow shines with optimism, enlightenment, and happiness. Shades of golden yellow carry the promise of a positive future. Yellow will advance from surrounding colors and instill optimism and energy, as well as spark creative thoughts.

How the color yellow affects us mentally and physically:
* Mentally stimulating
* Stimulates the nervous system
* Activates memory
* Encourages communication

Yellow is the color of the Solar Plexus Chakra, also known as Manipura (located in the stomach area). The Solar Plexus Chakra is representative of vitality and will. When this chakra is open, it acts to empower a person and help them find their personal strength. It will help turn dreams and goals into reality.

Based on this information, the red and yellow coloring makes sense in the context of the card. The red dress, background and outline of the spring glyph portray a sense of excitement and high energy action and confidence typical of card I. Red also indicates a sense of being grounded and connection to the universal energies, also typical of the Magician. The yellow headpiece, necklace and ribbon/smoke/stream/etc stand out amidst the red in the card and off a sense of enlightenment, creativity and a promise for a positive future. Yellow is an empowering color, turning dreams and goals into reality – a sentiment very appropriate for this card whose message is: “You have all the tools you need to succeed, now go forth and do it.”

It is notable that she wears red lotus arms bands. The lotus symbolizes enlightenment. Also, the red lotus symbolizes the original nature of the heart (hrdaya). It is the lotus of love, compassion, passion, activity and all the qualities of the heart. It is the lotus of Avalokitesvara.

The young woman stands upright and proud, her hand held aloft. She is dressed skimpily in a red (energy/action/confidence) costume. She is certainly confident and not shy at all. She is performer, showing off her trade for all who wish to see it, unlike the High Priestess who keeps her knowledge for herself. She is powerful, creating the globe of white light in her hands (perhaps she is initiating the beginning of spring (the glyph) with her powers?). It might be beneficial to note that white is the color of purity, neutrality and fresh beginnings.

She is a sign that new beginnings are at hand, but they can only be achieved by your own initiative.

Her powers also seem to be creating wind (her hair is blowing)…and perhaps those yellow streamers?

Also, her sword is held suspend in front of her without her need to touch it. Another manifestation of her power? Swords symbolize clarity of thought, the ability to cut through matter and see the truth of things. Unlike most Magicians, she does not have all the tools of her trade in front of her (wand, chalice, coins, and sword), only this one sword. Perhaps this is meant to indicate that everything she needs to be successful is not simply in front of her, but rather inside of her. Her true power comes from inside, giving her clarity of thought (the sword) and all sorts of other unknown powers.

A sign that the querent has all she/he needs inside of her/him and just needs to manifest these gifts through practice and hard work.

The sword can also be considered a phallic symbol, indicative of make energies, so perhaps the sword indicates the masculine energies being utilized by the Sorceress. Note; her body looks similar to a chalice, with her arms held that way and her legs together. She herself is undeniably feminine. Her stance just reinforces this. The sword offers a balance to the feminine nature of this card, or shows the female energy utilizing the masculine energy to create magic/power.

Also, it is interesting to note that the female energy – the Sorceress is active, while the male energy – the sword is passive, just floating there at the mercy of the Sorceress. A nice inversion.

There is no background in this card, simply amorphous red smoke/clouds. Perhaps this is another indication of the potentials offered by this card. There is no background, so the Sorceress is free to create her own with her powers. This may further symbolize the querent’s abilities to make her own path in life.

Sources: http://www.squidoo.com/colorexpert (just followed the links from there)