Baphomet: Tarot of the Underworld - by Akron and H. R. Giger

whipsilk

Reviving this thread as I'm hoping someone can give me some information about its publishing history, which appears to be rather tangled. Here's what I've gleaned so far, based on what I've picked up from AbeBooks and other sites:
  • It seems to have been first published in 1991 by Akron himself. The harcover book is in German and is over 500 pages, with extensive Giger illustrations. Don't know if the cards have silver-gilt edging or are oversized.
  • It was republished in 1992 by Urania Verlag. Again, everything is in German and the book is over 500 pages, and I believe has the illustrations. The cards do have silver-gilt edging and are apparently oversized.
  • In 1993 it was published by A.G. Mueller. This version also has the silver-gilt edging and apparently a translated "booklet" in English. I don't know how much of Akron's text was retained, but assume there are no illustrations. Apparently multiple editions (at least one in 1997 - the Third) exist of this version. Later editions (I don't know which) contained a music CD from the group Epilepsy.
  • The 2000 edition from Taschen (called the Giger Tarot) does not have silver-gilt edged cards, but they are oversized. The book in this case has 220 pages (hardly a "booklet"), and I presume is in English.

So can anyone who knows this deck well answer any of the following questions:
  • Which editions have Giger illustrations?
  • Are any of the illustrated editions in color? In English?
  • How many pages is the AGM "booklet"? Is it in English? Is it actually by Akron?
  • Which editions have (and don't have) the silver-gilt edging for the cards?
  • I have seen reference to silver foil printing; do any editions also use silver-foil printing on the face of the cards?
  • Is the 220 page book in the Taschen edition actually by Akron? Is it in English?
  • Which AGM editions contained the music CD and which didn't? Do any Taschen versions have the music CD?

Thanks, in advance, for any information.

ahclem

I have the 1993 AGM version and to answer your questions for that one:

• The "booklet" is 142 pages and contains a few B&W illustrations. It is apparently by AKRON (he is credited as "author"). It is in English and there is a credit for translation from the German by one Anthony Haywood.

• Silver gilt edging on the cards. No silver foil printing.

• No CD.

whipsilk

Thanks, ahclem. Jeez, I haven't thought about the Firesign Theatre in years.

ahclem

whipsilk said:
Thanks, ahclem. Jeez, I haven't thought about the Firesign Theatre in years.

Hey, it's never too late to start again. (Now more than ever.)

Nocturnal Lure

I will check a few facts tonight, I'm at work now...

It seems I have either the first or second edition...

There is the spread-poster thingy, the CD, the oversized silverfoil cards and a fairly extensive black and white book written in German.

I really love the deck, a shame it's just major arcana and no new artwork, but who cares, it delves in the deeper more uncompromising parts of the soul, which some decks only achieve after a translate-to-dark puzzle or simply can't.

nicole_

Can any kind souls tell me what languages Baphomet tarot or HR Giger Tarot came in other than english?

I think there's a german one, but is there a french one?