Please recommend a pretty playing card deck

olivia1

**no offense to those who love playing cards. I started off with tarot so I hope you can understand why I might find playing cards to be a bit boring**

Hi,

I really enjoy learning about playing cards and how to read them but I just can't get over how visually unappealing the cards are. It's so bad that I am actually more interested in the companion books and the books on how to read the cards than the actual decks themselves.

I like how the Lenormand Cards look. I was actually just thinking of getting a Lenormand deck (that shows the little card suites) and using *that* as a deck but obviously using the playing card system (for lack of a better term). Instead of the Lenormand system. Except, I'm not sure how that would work since Lenormand decks only have 36 cards?

I have looked at a thread where people have shown their playing card decks but they all pretty much look the same...the Fortune Telling deck stands out but honestly doesn't really appeal to me either.

I don't want to have to give up studying playing cards but it looks like i might have to because regular playing cards just dont do anything for me.

IheartTarot

What do you like? Nature, fairies, abstract, goth?

olivia1

IheartTarot said:
What do you like? Nature, fairies, abstract, goth?

i looked on US games and found all their playing cards to be boring, too. I did a google search and there was supposed to be a site that featured women in art and one that was supposed to show flowers but the images are unavailable. Another one showed nude women and Death on Drugs (not my thing).

I would prefer clothed human images (if possible) that just brings the suites/cards to life. Or a deck with at least *some people*in it. But at this point, I suppose I cant be too picky.

I really like the French Cartomany deck's look (if that helps).

IheartTarot

My PC collection

Alice in Wonderland Playing Cards (Prospero Art)
Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards
Shakespeare Playing Cards (Prospero Art)

olivia1

IheartTarot said:
Alice in Wonderland Playing Cards (Prospero Art)
Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards
Shakespeare Playing Cards (Prospero Art)

Thanks, IheartTarot!

I'll check those out. I feel like such a tool for starting this thread now. I googled "cartomancy playing cards" prior to starting this and this site called Lucky Mojo kept coming up. I thought it was simply a site to teach me how to read cards so I ignored it. Well, it seems they are a store that sells cards. So sorry everyone! I'm usually a lot smarter later in the day...

PS. I also like the The Parlour Sibyl Oracle Deck so if anyone knows of something similar (and that is cheap), I hope you will tell me about it.

franniee

Don't feel like a tool - I just bought the Kingdom deck because of you! OH WAIT!..... YOU })!!! :laugh:

I've had the alice and shakespeare cards in my basket for a long time and just haven't clicked buy me! But this kingdom deck looks lovely!

I would also add the Playing cards oracle. I like it too.

gregory

Somerville has some lovely single and double packs:

Here. The Durer one I particularly like. And there are loads of others further down the page, like Klimt. He's an ACE seller and could use the business (Yes, OK he is also a personal friend :D But you can't blame him for that !)

There are dogs, cats, art works... Even the Simpsons - though that ain't pretty :D

IheartTarot

Sorry! I might have to get it now :(

MareSaturni

I used to find "plain" playing cards boring too, because differently from tarot they seem to lack the "visual material". But since I've been reading with them for a while now, I actually see a lot in those little pips. Give yourself some time to come to appreciate the normal playing card decks. :)

I have a historical reproduction of a 1840 poker deck by Samuel Hart & Co. It seems very plain, but I *LOVE* it. I love the court cards, and the way they always seem to be staring at each other.

Using a Lenormand deck is not a good idea, because it only has 36 cards, not the 52 needed for Ana Cortez's method :). Not to mention that the different imagery may become a bit mind-boggling.

Recommendations:

- Try to find a copy of Jane Lyle's The Fortune Teller's Deck. Throw the book away, but keep the deck, it's GORGEOUS!

- Check this site for many interesting playing card decks: http://a_pollett.tripod.com/cards1.htm

- I particularly like the Schwartz Katz, the Vanity Fair (both which can be seen on the link above).

- The Bycycle 1800 Vintage is a deck that looks old and tattered. I don't own it, but I like it's look :)

- The Language of the Flower Playing Cards is a very beautiful deck by US Games.

If I can remember any other decks I'll let you know :)