Tarot and Psychology

LeahG

Ooooh I'm a happy girl today :) Went to a bookstore named Theosophical Society at lunchtime for some stress relief and came out with a book called "Tarot and Psychology" by Arthur Rosengarten.

Just about jumping around the office with excitement but I have to control myself - work in the health department - my tarot has already raised a few eyebrows - so thought I would post it here instead.

The mixing, using both for treatment, is something of great interest for me, I am starting my grad dip in psychology soon and hope to one day use both to help my patients (when I actually graduate in 4 years of working and studying at night....)

Anyone else read this book or similar?

Cheers

jmd

The TS Bookshop is a great stress-relief - except when the stress is caused by spending!

I think it was catboxer who mentioned this book a couple of times in earlier threads. Unfortunately, I do not have Rosengarten's book (yet), though I do have Gad's Tarot and Individuation and Newman's The Tarot: a myth of male initiation, both of which are very psychologically oriented.

Please keep us informed as to how you find this book - especially in relation to your studies!

Ophiel

Nope, haven't read it, but here's a link to a promotion of the book. Looks interesting, with Rohrig, Waite, and Thoth cards on the cover and all...

http://www.paragonhouse.com/Publicity/tarot.htm

And here's an earlier (1993), but similar-looking book:

"Discovering Your Self Through the Tarot: A Jungian Guide to Archetypes & Personality" by Rose Gwain. Paperback: 160 pages Publisher: Red Wheel/Weiser; ; Revised edition (February 2002)
ISBN: 1578630150.

Aerin

I have the Rosie Gwain book, I think I may have got rid of it actually...

It was OK. That's what I'll say, OK. I got it when I first started reading the cards.

Aerin

Ophiel

As far as these books go, I am far more interested in the spiritual use of the cards than the psychological dimensions, though actually all deep psychological work is in fact spiritual work.

Aerin

Aerin said:
I have the Rosie Gwain book, I think I may have got rid of it actually...

It was OK. That's what I'll say, OK. I got it when I first started reading the cards.

Aerin

I was right. This was the book I jettisoned, I got it when I first started looking at tarot and it really didn't help me then. She invented a new suit called the 'Spirit Suit' which confused me (OK I just got grumpy and didn't really concentrate), also the assignment of the suits to the Myers Briggs personality dimensions didn't equate with other books I'd read.

The one I kept from that time was Sallie Nichols 'Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey' see http://www.insight-books.com/meta/0877285152mt.html for a description.

It uses the Marseilles deck mainly, and while it never helped me read the cards what it did do was to give me some different ways of thinking about the Majors.

Aerin

Melvis

While I have not finished reading Tarot and Psychology, I have enjoyed what I've read so far. (I rarely finish a book, so this is not unusual for me! ;) )

The first section of the book presents possible ways to use Tarot in therapeutic practice. Next, the author speculates about the Psychology behind the Cards. The final part of the book is where Rosengarten takes the reader through a project on Domestic Abuse, using Tarot cards and spreads as therapeutic tools.

One drawback is that the text does get a little dense with psycho-jargon. But I keep looking through the book occasionally and I keep finding tidbits that inspire me. A favorite part of the book is an example he gives about using tarot in a unconventional manner with a patient of his that was dying of AIDS. He had the patient choose cards that appealed to him in some way (positive, negative, or just plain intriguing) from the deck by looking through the cards face-up. Then they talked about the cards he chose, what appealed to him about those cards, what they reminded him of, etc. The patient made groupings of the cards that were meaningful to him, allowing him some sense of control over aspects of his life that had been overshadowed by his illness. In the end, the tarot deck became the means for the patient to put his psychological life in order before he passed away. A completely non-traditional way to use tarot, and an incredibly moving story.

I also liked the appendix where the author attaches Proverbs from cultures all over the world to each card. The Fool's Proverb? "Never squat with your spurs on." (From Texas)

Peace,

Melvis
:TSTRE

LeahG

jmd said:
The TS Bookshop is a great stress-relief - except when the stress is caused by spending!

Please keep us informed as to how you find this book - especially in relation to your studies!

:D ha ha ha - yes stress can caused by spending - hard not to find something in there of interest - I try to restrain myself - buy a packet of incense instead each time I want to buy something I shouldn't !!

Will keep you informed - started to have a read over the weekend - the style of the authors writing is good - making it an enjoyable read so far - will let you know more soon

Cheers

LeahG

Ophiel said:
though actually all deep psychological work is in fact spiritual work.

Couldn't agree with you more - I believe they are really the same thing - its the presentation of the work that differs