How do YOU draw cards for a reading?

Melanchollic

"In every [Magical] Work there are to be Observed the Situation, Motion and Aspect of the Stars and Planets... "

Cornelius Agrippa

Three Books of
Occult Philosophy

With the words of one of history's greatest Magi in mind, I try to devise card drawing methods that take advantage of the archetypal planetary energies. Here are two examples designed for the two most popular spreads, The Tirage en Croix (The Classic Cross Spread), and the Astrological Spread.

Method for the Tirage en Croix:

The 22 Trumps are used for this spread. They are arranged in their 'neutral' order I - XXI with the Fool placed at your preference. The querent shuffles the cards, then they are given to the diviner. The diviner, in order from top to bottom, places the cards face-down in seven stacks, one for each planet. The top card goes in stack #1, the second in stack #2, the third in stack #3 and so on until seven cards are facedown on the table. Continue by placing the eighth card in stack #1, the ninth in stack #2, etc. You will end up with three cards in each stack with one left over. The last remaining card must be placed in the stack of the planet that rules whatever day of the week the reading is being done on.

The planetary rulers for each day are:

Sunday = Sun
Monday = Moon
Tuesday = Mars
Wednesday = Mercury
Thursday = Jupiter
Friday = Venus
Saturday = Saturn

From left to right the classic order of the planets is:

Stack #1 - Saturn
Stack #2 - Jupiter
Stack #3 - Mars
Stack #4 - Sun
Stack #5 - Venus
Stack #6 - Mercury
Stack #7 - Moon

Disregard all the cards except those in the stack of the planet that rules that day. With those four cards form the cross as you usually would.

Method for the Astrological Spread:

The method is the same as above, except you will use all 78 cards. Keep placing the cards, in order, from top to bottom into the seven stacks, until you are left with one last card. You will have 11 cards in each stack. You place the last card on the stack of the planet that rules whatever day you are doing the reading. This will give you the twelve cards you need for the astrological spread. Disregard the other stacks of cards.

I noticed an immediate improvement in the accuracy of my readings using these methods. A little help from the stars never hurts.

moderndayruth

"We seem to be doing something similar I sometimes get what you say, but I've resolved to not question my self or my choice of card. If I pulled it, it was the right one and I have to trust my self and the universe that this is so. But sometimes it happens anyway, I think this is an indication that it's not a good moment to be doing this reading, maybe because I'm not in the right state of mind. It's a matter of trust, just let go of doubt and it will all be fine "
Elv, thats exactly what i am working on (Trust versus doubt)... Thank you :)
Love&Light
mdr

moderndayruth

Mel, i am coping this to my journal, it's great to connect the readings with the days of the weak and the ruling planets; i'm gonna try it asap (and post a feedback); i feel so stupid i haven't learned this before, especially because all the Kabbalistic prayers (Anna Bekoach, Tikkune Hanefesh) that i read daily are based on planets energies...

Vadella

Mostly I shuffle until I feel it's ready and then cut the deck in half putting the bottom on top. Deal from that. I always look at the bottom of the deck. Sometimes I will just cut again and look at the bottom of the cut for more answers into a specific reading confusion... meaning... I will wonder something else about a particular card and that will give me the added information.

xx
Vad

Sulis

I shuffle, cut (sometimes) then pull cards randomly from the stack.
If I'm reading for someone else I shuffle (or they do), get them to cut and then I fan the cards out and get them to pull the cards from the fan.

moderndayruth

"If I'm reading for someone else I shuffle (or they do)"
(originally posted by Sulis)
Sulis, could you say on what this depends, on the feeling, the deck or something else? Does it have to do with the reader's (yours) liking/"dis-liking" of the deck being touched?
( Nevertheless i read for friends only, I don't like "qurents" to touch my Tarot of Prague and than it's ok with me if they shuffle and cut the other deck's.)

zannamarie

I shuffle and then pull a card from within the stack from wherever "feels" right. So I usually end up pulling cards from many places in the stack.

I never felt comfortable with just taking all the cards from the top. (Although sometimes the top card is the one that "feels right" so it is selected.)

Sulis

moderndayruth said:
"If I'm reading for someone else I shuffle (or they do)"
Sulis, could you say on what this depends, on the feeling, the deck or something else? Does it have to do with the reader's (yours) liking/"dis-liking" of the deck being touched?
( Nevertheless i read for friends only, I don't like "qurents" to touch my Tarot of Prague and than it's ok with me if they shuffle and cut the other deck's.)

Hi Moderndayruth,

I don't mind who touches my cards, in fact I like people to touch them, look through them, see that they aren't scary :)
I usually ask the person if they'd like to shuffle or if they want me to. I tell them it will make no difference to the reading.
Some folks are nervous about shuffling, they're scared of dropping the cards and would feel terrible if they did.
I get them to cut so that they feel involved (and are involved) even if they've had me shuffle.

fairyhedgehog

I read for myself, and I just shuffle a lot till it feels right, then start from the top and keep going!

I reckon that either a) the universe knows where I'm going to stop and is quite capable of making sure that the right cards are at the top or b) it's all random anyway and I'll be able to make something of whatever comes up.

It saves a lot of agonising. (Or is that part of the enjoyment?)

moderndayruth

"I don't mind who touches my cards, in fact I like people to touch them, look through them, see that they aren't scary
I usually ask the person if they'd like to shuffle or if they want me to. I tell them it will make no difference to the reading.
Some folks are nervous about shuffling, they're scared of dropping the cards and would feel terrible if they did.
I get them to cut so that they feel involved (and are involved) even if they've had me shuffle."
Sulis, thank you ; it's been an issue for me for quite along time, i love your attitude, gonna "incorporate" it. :)
Love&Light
Lena Ruth