Background info or not?

gypsylady

I've been sitting here thinking on this for awhile- probably since I first got into tarot and now more so since I have offered readings on AT and have had others read for me.

Sometimes I feel that questions are quite vague like "How will the meeting go with X?" (the only one I can think of off the top of my head).. oh, or maybe "How does x see me?"...

Some days I feel like the context is missing and X could be anyone in their life. I have noticed that I am trying to give more background now on here as I sit for others, because I feel like it makes the reading more accurate, and also because that is something that I would love to have when I'm reading for others. I don't want an essay or a big speech just enough of a context so I understand exactly what's going on. I have asked quite vague questions myself then realize than I should have given a bit of a background (for example: a romantic relationship with a coworker of mine could have been read in more than one way)

I remember when I first had a professional reading done- people advise you not to give any information at all, but that makes me feel as though it's so the person can't make things up and is more based upon distrust than anything...

What do you all think of this out there?

Alta

I agree with this. In replying to Your Readings to very vague questions, I have then been brushed off with 'oh, he's barely a friend, I just met him once' or the like. Really, what's the point? A little context really helps the reader.

Chiriku

I am pro-background info.

Provided it's set forth in a readable format, with basic syntax, paragraph breaks, and a lack of "text-speak," the more the better.

Here are my thoughts from another current thread:

I don't claim to be psychic, and even point out ahead of time to my querents that I'm not and that I use tarot to get different sorts of answers, anyway.

This anecdote illustrates my thoughts on the matter:

I was the reader at a party not that long ago. A handful of the sitters were self-identified tarotists (although not necessarily Tarot Enthusiasts; see my recent thread on the subject). They convinced their non-tarotist friend, who'd never had a reading, to sit for one with me. He was trying to make a mundane but important decision about real estate, and I offered a choices-based spread.

"Tell me more about the different options you're considering," I said.

He looked taken aback. "Well, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of you doing a reading on the subject?" Then, being an apparently clever man, he seemed to think better of it, and said, almost to himself, "No, I suppose not, given what you said earlier about using readings to get useful options and insight. The more information I give you, the more detailed and useful answers you can give me."

Precisely.

Chiriku

As to Your Readings specifically...there are many things that bother me about the way posters go about things. It's not the mods' fault. But it seems as though many querents are their own worst enemies when it comes to phrasing questions, choice of (or lack of) spreads relative to their experience level, giving feedback, accepting feedback, and on and on.

One wonders if answers are what they really want. Because if they did, there are ways they could be better and more useful answers, if they'd take the helpful advice I see people on YR give out with great generosity and patience.

tarotbear

"There's a fine, fine line between love and a waste of your time."

I agree with your thought processes gypsylady but two things came to mind immediately: In another thread someone posted a Querent said something akin to 'What should I have to tell you anything? Aren't you supposed to be able to figure it out?" You are the Reader, after all.

Then there are those Querents who have to tell you so much extraneous information that you can't decide what their question is supposed to be... you know the type that tell you everyone's birth date, sign, blood type, HIV status - the whole nine yards that has nothing to do with their question?

My fear is that in giving you 'background' info that the Querent would create a run-on question: the 'When am I going to get married and will he be handsome and does he make a lot of money and will we have a house with white picket 2.3 children and a nanny and a horse barn?' What they really wanted to know is when they could get out from under their parent's thumb.

Sometimes I feel those are the questions the Reader should ask the Querent as they go through the reading.

Alta

True enough, but it would still be helpful when replying to "What does X think of me?" to know if it is their boss, their husband, their teenage kid or some random guy they met in a bar last night.

VGimlet

No, not for the initial reading. Sometimes my clients are COMPELLED to give me the background info after I read for them, which is okay, because then we can address those specific issues if they want to.

gregory

True enough, but it would still be helpful when replying to "What does X think of me?" to know if it is their boss, their husband, their teenage kid or some random guy they met in a bar last night.

GOD yes. That does hack me off. You try and answer sensibly and then they tell you it is a guy they took home for a one night stand or something.... or their husband and you were assuming it was someone they just met.

Metafizzypop

I too, am pro-background info. ::waves flag:: I need something fer Krissakes. A statement like "I want to know how a situation is going to work out," just drives me nuts. What is the situation? A divorce? A promotion at work? Selling your house? The results from the veterinarian about your dog's ringworm test?

I find it especially difficult to answer questions when someone asks, "What does X think about me?" Or "Why did X do this or that?" Or anything else where X (or an initial) is used for the person. Reading this thread, I see I'm not alone in this gripe.

With questions that involve another person, I find it crucial to know the relationship of that person to the querent, because cards can be interpreted so differently depending on that relationship. Is X your brother? Your boss? Your next door neighbor that you have a perpetual feud with? Someone you owe money to? The same group of cards would take on very different meanings depending on who the question is about. This is my biggest pet peeve. The X questions. Please tell me, who the @#$$% is X?

To me, withholding information from a tarot reader makes about as much sense as withholding information from a doctor.

gregory

---unless they ask for a general reading - that could be like your annual physical :D