Thoth Deck Printing History

chriske

Early Llewellyn / Weiser sets

Hi RLG,

Nice PDF - thanks a lot. The early mis-printings of the Ace of Disks etc. were not limited to the Hong Kong version of the Llewellyn set. I have several of these early sets and I also have examples of USA Llewellyn and USA Weiser sets with the mis-printed cards and corrected cards. So it's not quite as straight forward as it seems.

Nice one. Thanks again.

RLG

Hmm... I believe I mentioned on page 22 that the misprint didn't get fixed right away. So yes, one may have a USA version aka White Box B and still have the misprints.

I appreciate that kind of information, as all the variations can get quite confusing...thus the title LOL

If you notice any other errors or omissions, please let me know.

RLG

Bernice said:
I appear to have the 'first colour printing' 1986 Swiss deck, with some oddities:

BOX: It's exactly as described in the pdf for this first printing, BUT there is a shallow cutout for opening the tuck.
.............The ISBN is: 3-905021-25-0. (my bold)

CARDS: The printing errors on the three cards, Hebrew/Astro glyps switched; Moon - Universe - Magus:
.............Yes, exactly as described, BUT both Magus cards have the error, and they are both named The Magus.

LWB: Exactly as described in the pdf.

Bee :)

OK, just so I get this straight, you have the standard size blue box Swiss 1986 printing, (should say 1986 on the back of the cards), with two extra Magi - both of which have the glyphs switched around, while the extra one called the Magician has them the 'right' way.

Are these cards indeed 110mm x 74mm, i.e., wider than the ones in the white box USG edition?

Hate to be so technical, but I guess that's what this whole thing is about :)

starlightexp

I know it's a work in progress but, it's on DAMN fine work. This sould be in a sticky note at the top of the Thoth Forum.

Great...great....great job. Once it gets done it will answer so many questions people have

ZKEI

Thanks for the pdf. :thumbsup:

FYI, in one of the Special Editions, you mention about a set that contains
a book, Tarot – Mirror of your Relationship’ by Gerd Ziegler
(ISBN-10: 0880794712, ISBN-13: 9780880794718) and
80 large cards, 1986 printing, 140 x 95mm, with 2 extra Magi.

I have just got a similar version but with ISBN 10: 3-921960-77-0, ISBN 13: 9783921960776.
A book is the Third printing version (year 1999) and the year specified on the back of the cards is 1996 (AGMuller).

Though, it said on a videotape-alike-plastic box that the set contains 80 large cards, those 2 extra are not Magi (one is a quote from Crowley and another is a rainbow unicursal hexagram with black background).
Card size 7 x 11 cm

Bernice

RLG:OK, just so I get this straight, you have the standard size blue box Swiss 1986 printing, (should say 1986 on the back of the cards), with two extra Magi - both of which have the glyphs switched around, while the extra one called the Magician has them the 'right' way.

Are these cards indeed 110mm x 74mm, i.e., wider than the ones in the white box USG edition?

Hate to be so technical, but I guess that's what this whole thing is about :)

Card size: 110mm by 71mm (not 74mm)
Card back: On the lower right-side (thin) white border: ©1986 AG Muller (with the upper accent)

The two Magi cards both have the glyphs switched. Astro on the right, hebrew on the left. Both cards are called 'The Magus'.

Bee :)

RLG

ZKEI said:
Thanks for the pdf. :thumbsup:

FYI, in one of the Special Editions, you mention about a set that contains
a book, Tarot – Mirror of your Relationship’ by Gerd Ziegler
(ISBN-10: 0880794712, ISBN-13: 9780880794718) and
80 large cards, 1986 printing, 140 x 95mm, with 2 extra Magi.

I have just got a similar version but with ISBN 10: 3-921960-77-0, ISBN 13: 9783921960776.
A book is the Third printing version (year 1999) and the year specified on the back of the cards is 1996 (AGMuller).

Though, it said on a videotape-alike-plastic box that the set contains 80 large cards, those 2 extra are not Magi (one is a quote from Crowley and another is a rainbow unicursal hexagram with black background).
Card size 7 x 11 cm

Thanks for this info. So you're saying that the 'Mirror of your Relationships' in the yellow box set now includes the small size, 1996 cards with no Magi? If so, I will update the file accordingly.

And thanks, Bee, for the confirmation on your deck specifics :)

Abrac

I'm on a 28.8k dialup connection and every time I try to download this file it stalls or fails. I can usually get most downloads though sometimes it takes awhile. Anyone else on dialup having a problem with this one?

Teheuti

This is a very long file. Perhaps when it is edited it can find a home of its own. How about it's own blog on wordpress?

I have a request that any new pdf editions or sites be inserted into post #1 of this thread as I'm listing that url in an important bibliography and would like to see the address kept current.

faunabay

This may not be as strange as it seems to me. But I'm not that knowledgable about the different thoth decks. I have what looks to be a White Box C with the OTO card printed white on black instead of the the other way around. All the scans I've always seen are the black on white. (shrug)

This is from my strange greenie I got from an amazon marketplace seller. I think the deck is not the match for the box it came to me in. The box says printed in Columbia, the LWB is in spanish, but the cards are in English and the OTO card is in english as well.

But like I said the OTO card is white printing on a black background. The hexagram is the red on black. I'm just curious to know about it. Is this just another weird printing?