New Crowley Biography?

gregory

I struggled enough with Sutin... I know for sure I don't have the fortitude for Perdurabo.
Reconsidering Symonds. I mean, I am already biased and it's nobody's fault but Crowley's. :p

From reading Symonds - I liked the guy and I would love to have met him. So it can't be all bad :D

I now know why I own Sutin :p Oh dear :(

gregory

Is it as fun as Symonds ? })

But honestly, Grigori - what did YOU make of Perdurabo ?

Grigori

Is it as fun as Symonds ? })

I haven't read it yet, but am sure it would have a few giggles in it.

But honestly, Grigori - what did YOU make of Perdurabo ?

I thought it was great, a lot of detail and very interesting. Apart from the parts with way too much detail that were dead boring and usually about mountains and such. So much the same deal as "Confessions" really :D

I've very glad to have it for research purposes, though am less likely to read it again in its entirety than other (less good) biographies. At least for a little while...

Aeon418

But half the point of him was that - yes, he was TOTALLY dedicated to his own form of religion - but he DID do a lot of iffy stuff, and that's fine with me.
What kind of iffy stuff?

gregory

Defrauding people of money, for example. And I think some of the people he enticed into sex were not 100% clear what he was getting them into.

And he did quiet deliberately sabotage others in the order to get his own way.

Lillie

Eh?

If he hasn't got a needle in his arm, a bottle of brandy in his hand, two scarlet women on the bed behind him and an exhausted goat sprawled across his altar, it's not the Crowley I want to read about.

Le Fanu

Eh?

If he hasn't got a needle in his arm, a bottle of brandy in his hand, two scarlet women on the bed behind him and an exhausted goat sprawled across his altar, it's not the Crowley I want to read about.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Aeon418

Defrauding people of money, for example.
Crowley was always on the look out for spare cash. And sometimes people were stupid enough to give it to him. But considering the pocket-change sums involved I seriously doubt he would ever make it onto the list of the worlds greatest con-men and fraudsters. But of course, as in a lot of other areas, Crowley is a special exception. If it were anyone else no one would bat an eyelid.
And I think some of the people he enticed into sex were not 100% clear what he was getting them into.
But when you see the common "popular" reaction to Crowley's sex life you would think he murdered people after having sex with them. By todays standards Crowley sex life is nothing special. People today are doing way more crazy stuff then he ever did, and no one cares. But, as in a lot of other areas, Crowley is a special case.

Over the years I've been involved in loads of discussions about Crowley's character and behaviour. But I'm always surprised when liberal, tolerant and open-minded people I know well, suddenly transform into puritanical prudes when it comes to Crowley's sex life. I just don't get it.
And he did quiet deliberately sabotage others in the order to get his own way.
Who hasn't at some time or another in their life acted badly and screwed someone else over to get their own way? But the common reaction is a prentence of being as pure as the driven snow. Next comes the feigned indignation and mock outrage with a hefty dose of moral finger wagging.

Oh you naughty boy, Crowley! I would never do anything like that. :rolleyes: