What about those Skeptics?

nisaba

It makes me sad that "skeptic" has become a bad word in our society.

It isn't. Until his death, my uncle used to be professor of linguistics at the University of New South Wales, and he used to refer to his postgraduate research group fondly as his "sceptic tank".

It makes me sad that most people don't realise sceptic is correctly written with a C, not a K.

also_nothing

It makes me sad that most people don't realise sceptic is correctly written with a C, not a K.

The "k" is used in the American spelling ;)

skipbosco

I guess the question I have is -skeptical of what?

I am a newbie, 2 months into this journey. The Tarot came crashing into my life from outta some crazy left field who knows where...2 months in and it's been a life altering experience.

But I have no definitive ideas on how it works. Am I hooking up with a guardian angel? Spirit? Plugging into the Jungian collective unconsciousness? I have no idea. I've also had many other rather profound and unexplainable experiences in my life, I've studied mediumship and giving psychic readings, past life regression, deep meditation, automatic writing...all kinds of things...but the skeptic in me always keeps me from defining what is going on...I have no idea.

However, intuitively, I know exactly how it works...if that makes sense. Being a newbie I have only given maybe a dozen readings, and every reading seems to involve some conversation about how it works, what's going on...I just say that I haven't a clue. I'm probably more skeptical about what's going on with Tarot than anyone I will ever read for, including myself, but at the same time I know that there's something to it, something very deep and powerful, something that aligns neatly with all of my knowledge about esoteric subjects, as well as my knowledge of science, physics, psychology, etc.

But come on, when I got my first deck and was just kinda shuffling like crazy, laying out 3 cards.....shuffling like crazy....laying out 3 cards....i got the same 3 card spread twice in a row, and the 3rd time was 2 of same cards, and a very similar 3rd card. I pulled the same single card for a friend (a total skeptic) 3 times in a row. Throwing down the same 3 cards twice in a row has happened several times since then. I've thrown down a 5 card spread for a particular question, and then thrown 5 cards from another deck and gotten almost the same exact spread, 4 out of 5.

Something is going on here but I refuse to define it, and am totally skeptical of anyone who claims to know what is going on here, how the Tarot works.

What I do know is that about 2 weeks into this journey I had a very powerful epiphany about this Tarot thing...and that's all I really need to know, otherwise it's just a mystery and I don't worry about what people think, or for that matter what I think. Thinking and tarot are kind of mutually exclusive methinks.

seedcake

I am a newbie, 2 months into this journey. The Tarot came crashing into my life from outta some crazy left field who knows where...2 months in and it's been a life altering experience.

But I have no definitive ideas on how it works. Am I hooking up with a guardian angel? Spirit? Plugging into the Jungian collective unconsciousness? I have no idea. I've also had many other rather profound and unexplainable experiences in my life, I've studied mediumship and giving psychic readings, past life regression, deep meditation, automatic writing...all kinds of things...but the skeptic in me always keeps me from defining what is going on...I have no idea.

However, intuitively, I know exactly how it works...if that makes sense. Being a newbie I have only given maybe a dozen readings, and every reading seems to involve some conversation about how it works, what's going on...I just say that I haven't a clue. I'm probably more skeptical about what's going on with Tarot than anyone I will ever read for, including myself, but at the same time I know that there's something to it, something very deep and powerful, something that aligns neatly with all of my knowledge about esoteric subjects, as well as my knowledge of science, physics, psychology, etc.

But come on, when I got my first deck and was just kinda shuffling like crazy, laying out 3 cards.....shuffling like crazy....laying out 3 cards....i got the same 3 card spread twice in a row, and the 3rd time was 2 of same cards, and a very similar 3rd card. I pulled the same single card for a friend (a total skeptic) 3 times in a row. Throwing down the same 3 cards twice in a row has happened several times since then. I've thrown down a 5 card spread for a particular question, and then thrown 5 cards from another deck and gotten almost the same exact spread, 4 out of 5.

Something is going on here but I refuse to define it, and am totally skeptical of anyone who claims to know what is going on here, how the Tarot works.

What I do know is that about 2 weeks into this journey I had a very powerful epiphany about this Tarot thing...and that's all I really need to know, otherwise it's just a mystery and I don't worry about what people think, or for that matter what I think. Thinking and tarot are kind of mutually exclusive methinks.

Awesome post. Thank you for sharing this :) There's better to leave things incomprehensible. I was also answering questions and at some point couldn't find any answer. When I do bigger readings with few spreads, first one is for general feelings, second for more details - sometimes they can be far away with the meaning but all the feel from first spread is still in there, to not mention the same cards or ones with similiar messages. And of course the core of the first little reading is helping with all the rest. I don't know to explain it and I know only one person who like answer like that.

Cenozoic

I had to deal with a few skeptics. They list all these things about "how" something is done, ask about credentials, and really put you on the spot about everything. There's so many questions. Usually they'll ask something that they could easily judge if it's right or wrong, like an anniversary or a birthday. I just tell them that it's not great for specific dates, but it can tell you the situation of what happened on that date, because it works more like a storybook, rather than a calendar.

Surprisingly, I thought I'd get lots of negativity from the Christian folks about the scary Devil in the deck. Usually they'll ask about it, and I'll just tell them the meaning of that card (control, manipulation, overworking, deprived of something, lust, etc.), then I tell them that it's just an image on a piece of paper. The only harm it can do is probably give you a paper cut. It can't be as bad as the actual people or situation it's trying to represent, or warn you about, right? It's just a flat piece of paper. There are people who are cruel to others, and this card just tries to represent that.

And then for those skeptics trying to prove me wrong in every shape and form, I just tell them that if I'm doing anything suspicious, just let me know. I also tell them that I don't really know if all of this card reading stuff is real or not, so if they want to show me that it's not, then please do, because I don't want to be going around tricking others with it, since all I want to do is help people with it, not to trick them with it!

Then while I'm reading, they're watching me like a hawk, ready to disapprove any suspicious moves I make. But I'm not set on proving them wrong. I just want them to judge it for themselves, just as I have for myself. This kind of thinking keeps me calm and friendly towards them.

I usually read for groups of friends and acquaintances, and even though there are some skeptics, I just tell them to have fun with it, and see where it goes. In the end, they're usually happy with the reading, and say that they believe in me, but will still go on and on about how "other" readers might be tricking people! Bleh, I guess they will have their opinions, but at least they've opened up to the idea about readers a little bit, right?

Karrma

exactly, or at least similarly :)

Talulah26

I dont mind if people are skeptical, I would be too only for so many of my readings have been scarily accurate, I dont consider myself a psychic or powerful or anything, I can predict things with accuracy, sometimes i vision silly things before they happen...never anything major just knowing im going to see or run into a certain person that day for example. I dont claim to be anything so if somebody tries to belittle what I believe then thats their business.
I dont rub my tarot believes in their face, I dont expect them to rub their scepticism in mine. I dont expect them to understand. Unless youv experienced it for yourself its not going to be believable to allot of people. I dont follow any religions, im not in the least bit spiritual, I consider myself an athiest but I found tarot and it worked for me. Maybe it is allot of nonsense but I wont close my mind to something that I feel a connection with.
If people want to belittle that thats their problem and ill usually ignore it but I honestly cant say iv ever met someone who did try to belittle what I do or believe. Many people have commented and asked me was I psychic without me ever mentioning that I dabble in tarot but luckily I come from quite an understanding place where allot of people just accept each other for whatever they are, they will always be one or two assholes but I there better off ignored, they just like to argue about anything.

Zaheroux

Actually, I'm married to such a skeptic!
He doesn't argue me or try to get me to see his view point but he will poke fun at me every so often. Because of him, I don't worry about skeptics. I've heard it all before.

Any comments, just let them roll off of you. Once you give into them, its hard to get back out. As long as you are happy with your Path and tarot, then it shouldn't be a problem. But this is just me. :)

danieru_X

Most / all of my colleagues at work are strong Catholics and won't bat an eye at the tarot. They say that I'm working with devil cards.... I thought tarot has past this by now surely. I guess not. There is still such a strong love/hate for the tarot in society.

I guess I should be thankful that I'm one of the lucky ones though who can practice and enjoy something so wonderful.

Richard

With all due respect to Einstein's contrary opinion, I believe that future events are not strictly predetermined, but determined only within probabilistic limits. Therefore predictive tarot readings cannot be 100% accurate (unless the reader is skilled enough to be sufficiently convincing and vague at the same time :)). That doesn't make me a sceptic, but it does put predictive tarot reading in the realm of quantum probabilities rather than strict determinism.

Whether or not tarot is demonic is an entirely different issue. I'm very skeptical about the existence of demons and such (except as components of our own unconscious minds).