Medium pretending to be a reader?

ravenest

She was doing this at the MARKETS?

With gruff old blokes and spotty teenagers queueing at the tent-flaps, listening and waiting their turn?

Settle down ... it was later . I saw posters put up for it. As much as I hate to interrupt your vivid imagination ... you had to go to her place to do it ... out in the country ... waaaaaay out in the country down a long dark road, past spooky old pine trees ...
Tantra is Indian, no? I wasn't aware they had fairies. Devas' yes. Perhaps she taught tantric sex to the fairies at the bottom of her garden.

http://images.contentreserve.com/Im...F09501-FC8A-4D98-B36F-489B1F2D930B}Img100.jpg
Did Ravenest ever tell you about the time he got stuck in quicksand and was rescued by a fairy, or was he too embarrassed?

I never got to tell her anything .... unfortunatly ... it ended rather badly.

re-pete-a

perhaps one can find in this book where the authoress had repeat clients from those she gave readings to...

After all...isn't accuracy the name of the game...Talents for cash. Props for dosh($)

The second point to this is Reflections..

.mirror reflections...projections of the mind of the viewer onto the recipient....Transference...self problems viewed in anothers actions...

A very hard task master, is self knowledge....

DownUnderNZer

Anyone can read cards really, it isn't hard core science. But Mediumship, Clairvoyancy, Clair Audience etc etc etc is something not everyone can do.

I would pay to see the latter over a Tarot card reader any day because I can read the cards for myself on the most part. :)

Are sitters to be duped into thinking they're getting a tarot readg while the psychic/medium picks up whatever from them? Sitters thought they were getting a "reading" from a tarot reader and they weren't.

No matter what the intention of the psychic, to know NOTHING about tarot and market yourself as a tarot reader doesn't seem very honest. I typed in direct quotes from her book and her clients obviously went to her for a tarot reading, which they didn't get. Her insecurity doesn't seem a good enough reason to lie or mislead sitters.

Lilianne

Sounds Medium rare to me... :D

HudsonGray

I went to someone who used the Angel oracle and once she spread them down, looked at them, she used a psychic reading after, relying on the cards as a springboard. Actually she was pretty good, if a bit unclear. Her 'images' didn't make sense to her but did to me, it was a give/take reading, me filling in what that 'white thing, about the size of a football, that makes people happy' was -- it was the Bun Bun toys I was currently making for the Sluggy Freelance store to sell. She said my next breakout item would be 'in the trees' which flummoxed me till I realized she actually meant paper. My next big seller was something I had run off at a print shop.

Fleur-de-lis

I have no problem or issues with intuitive readers, people who use whatever skills they have to read, but this bothered me because SHE felt she was pretending to read, she was calling herself a reader when the cards were no more than a prop that she didn't even eventually look at. They were like a "beard" for her. This bothered me because, in some ways, readers represent other readers. I'm sure sitters know not all readers are good or bad, but the sitters she had I feel were duped. I'm sure they probably got some great info, or hope they did, but they felt they were going to a reader, not a medium.

I think what bothered me most is someone saying they knowingly impersonated being a reader and got to the point they didn't even glance at the cards, and those sitters may have taken who knows what type of impression with them if they went to another reader who actually LOOKED at the cards and read them.

I have said this more than once to a sitter, I read cards, not minds (or in this author's case, minds and people who have passed). I just found this kind of deceitful to sitters and disrespectful to readers in general.

But maybe I'm just looking at this wrong. I know readers who are mediums and/or psychics and I respect them greatly and know they bring their skills to reading. But a medium and/or psychic who knows nothing, doesn't wish to learn anything, about the cards and yet sells her skills as a tarot reader taking money for that, when really they're paying her to be a medium?

ATers, thoughts? Is this fine? Not fine? I would LOVE to read all different opinions.

Here is how I was taught to write in high school: think about what you want to write, lay down the plan (outline), and then "flesh out" your outline with the text. In most cases, I found it weird to start with an outline, I never needed it to write what I wanted, and found it to be a waste of time. However, because part of the grade was for an outline itself, I would write the outline LAST (after I am done with the text) - just to satisfy the teacher. Most other kids in my class were indeed writing the outline first and used it as directed, so I guess it was me who was flawed and not the method :) Because both me and the other kids eventually ended up with a desired outcome (a good piece of creative text graded "A"), the way we got there did not matter, it seems.

Now, replace the writing with the reading, and outline with the cards and here you go. I believe that all people who are interested in tarot are mediums to some degree; however, those who are "less mediums" (or shall I say, less experienced mediums) will rely more on the cards ("an outline") to guide them. I don't believe that it makes any difference in the outcome at all.

Now, back to your issue of people's trust. Yeah, I could see how that could bring negative consequences towards the tarot readers. I don't know how to deal with that other than educate people on the cards and the reader's intuition in reading them. Thank you for raising such an interesting point!

greatdane

I'm still not sure I understand

Some here have said they don't care how someone arrives at what they give them, as long as they got something from it whether the psychic read the cards or not.

Some say they would rather have a psychic reading than a tarot one.

I'm certainly not going to argue those points at all. That could be very true, for some or many.

People were paying for a tarot reading, they didn't get one. She was obviously so uncomfortable saying she was a psychic, she lied, flat out lied and hid behind the cards because she was afraid PAYING clients wouldn't come to her if she told them the truth.

The point, to me, isn't whether the sitters/clients walked away feeling they had gotten something worthwhile, it's was this ok to do? To promote tarot readings and to purposely dupe them into thinking that's what they were getting?

I'm not sure I agree, DownUnderNZer, that "anyone" can read cards. Not everyone is a good reader and, in her case, she didn't even bother to learn anything about the cards, to try to read them. She just used them set in front of her to impersonate a tarot reader, with none of the skill or even rudimentary knowledge of the cards or tarot.

As a reader, who takes doing readings seriously, I just found her deceit and attitude that it was no big deal to say she was a tarot reader when she didn't know anything at all about tarot or reading cards, like she could just "fake" it, offensive.

dancing_moon

People were paying for a tarot reading, they didn't get one.

Actually, it isn't clear from the book extract in the first post whether she advertised as 'a Tarot reader' or, perhaps, something more flexible like 'a fortune-teller'. In this latter case, it's more like playing on people's expectations and presuppositions, which is still strange and not very neat in my book. If I come to a dentist, and he makes an X-ray and then goes on to cure me without ever looking at the X-ray, it's odd, at best. If you advertise as a fortune-teller, lay out the cards and look at them intensely, I expect you to read them.

IMHO, a medium/psychic/Tarot reader is a job based very much on mutual trust and respect. If my reader thinks I'm not bright enough to see she isn't reading the cards at all, it still leaves a bad aftertaste, whether or not I got the information I'd come for.

Fleur-de-lis, a very ambiguous outline/text analogy. :) But it's a different topic altogether.

karlwb

I don’t claim to be psychic myself though I have been impressed by those who actually are. Hence my interest in Tarot for that particular lacking. I suppose props are useful as long as they are generally understood by the querent. I myself would be uncomfortable, knowing they were “props”.
I am acquainted with an animal psychic. I’ve been working on pet tarot lately and asked her opinion of this application. She that it was interesting but said she “doesn’t need cards to channel herself”. She almost sounded a bit disdainful.
KwB