Handling querents asking for 'good cards'

ana luisa

I agree with Apollonia. I do it as I see fit. When friends gather round and go "Oh, you read Tarot !!! Can you do a reading for me ?!" I stare them in the eyes and say "Sure. But I have to warn you. I read EVERYTHING the cards show. Good AND bad. I do not sugar-coat or hide ANYTHING but death. Wanna try ?". That usually scares away 60/70% of sitters who are there to get their future problems solved, who are ONLY looking for fun and good results. I only take the brave ones. Which is not to say I deliver negative interpretations brutally. I respect my sitters and try to advise as much as predict. What good would it be if I only delivered bad news and not provided any tools for facing or dealing with it ?

Starri Knytes

It's a problem reading for friends and family. Uuugh. We are often asked to play the part of amateur psychologist. If you get unfavorable cards, why not helping the querent see ways to change their outcome. We all have choices in life. Right!?!?

3ill.yazi

"If you want sugar coated symbols, go buy a box of Lucky Charms."

I mean, do you say to a doctor, I only want to hear a good diagnosis? If I have something wrong, please lie?

Or do they think you can change their future like some god?

Just not respectful...

Holly doll

You may need to set boundaries and the rules you wish to read by as a reader.

Comes down to what sits right with you and if you don't want to give a sugar coated reading or pull some magical card out to save the world for one person - then don't.

It goes against the grain for you and is doing no good for the person at the other end of it.

And if NO is in order don't be shy in using the word. :)

NZ is right - NO is the handiest tool in the box, one that should be used more often than it is! ;) Clients may want to play games, so when they do - I call them on it; asking them "why are you really here if you aren't invested in what's happening?"

Boundaries around reading for family & friends is important - they may not realise it but there can be expectations of only "good cards /news" because you love them & want the best for them. I now refuse to read for family as they ignored the advice numerous times, then complained to me when things didn't go their way...

When people ask for "good cards" I tell them the tarot may not tell them what they "want" to hear, it will tell them what they "need to know". It soon has some running for the door or changing the subject, while others will want to go ahead anyway.