Bags, Boxes, Cases or Rubberbands!?

November's Dawn

I keep mine in original box placed in black velvet pouches. Sometimes it's hard to find deck I want to use because they are all black but I don't mind. It even make it more interesting to search. :) And I keep them all in wooden pirate chest.

Chiska

I have most in their boxes. Some I put in bags because I use them frequently or they came in huge boxes. And two have rubber
bands because it just seems fitting.

GlitterNova

My big wish is that Llewellyn would package better. We get these huge crushable boxes that almost always get damaged in the mail (kudos to bookdepository for packing them in such a way that they don't and a big boo to Amazon for NOT doing !) with a shrink wrapped deck and a book inside - and as soon as you open the deck you have to find a bag for it, or it rattles around inside, and cards get stuck in strange places around that weird bit of cardboard they put in there which pretends to be a suitable box and isn't... Excuse me while I go find a bag for my Victorian Fairies, which are all over the place right now :mad:

This is actually the exact situation I'm in now! My previous decks all came in little tuck boxes, so they're sitting safely in the boxes in cheap little organza bags. The boxes have been dropped and dented but the cards stay safe inside. BUT...I now have the Victorian Fairies on the way and need to find something new! I never knew about printable tuck boxes before reading about it here, so that might be the best solution. Also, come to think about it, most thrift stores usually have various knick-knack decorative boxes. Those might work well too.

seedcake

NOT NOT NOT rubber bands.If you want to go that SORT of route, buy hair scrunchies. Rubber degrades and ends up firmly stuck to your deck. (I have a deck of - mercifully - cheap playing cards that has gone that way...) Also even before that it marks the cars with its rubberiness.

Rubber bands are really bad for cards.

Most of mine stay in their boxes (they seem happy enough) but where I need bags I get very pretty ones from Dollarama at $1.25 a pop (eat your hearts out, American readers - you don't have those stores :D)

I'd never thought of rubber band. It seems so wrong and can damage the deck.

I keep mine in bags 'cause I just adore it. But I really want to buy a pretty box. I found one which is so amazing but I'm worried someone else bought it.

shadowdancer

I like tins. My main collection which I class as my working collection are pretty much tinned up now.

My trimmed decks are in small black stash tins. My larger decks are in windowed tins purchased from Papermart. I am in NZ, and they do not send internationally, but as I was in California for a honeymoon road trip, I arranged a purchase and pick up. They have never had one with someone coming from THAT far away :D :D :D Each is stored on its end, with a small typed label on the edge showing what deck is enclosed. Means it is easy and instant to go to a specific deck, and the amount of storage space needed is vastly reduced.

There are the odd few in bags but most are tinned. Lennies are in clear plastic bridge or poker cases.

Marcus R

My Thoth deck is in a custom-fit box I made myself years ago. My next favourite, the Deviant Moon, is wrapped in a fair sized scrap of tie-dyed blue cloth with a small fringe down one side, which I found in a rag bag at work. Everyone thinks it's fantastic. The 3rd in line for general use is in a red bandana, wrapped nice and tight.

beginagain

Early this week, I bought some Singer sewing table drawers off of eBay.

That's where the collection is going to live. I figure it'll take me a ways to fill all three drawers up. Atm I have three decks that didn't come in those little cardboard boxes; my favourite two are in pretty silk scarves and the other is in a bag. The ones who did come in their own boxes just have to tough it out.

jolie_amethyst

Early this week, I bought some Singer sewing table drawers off of eBay.

That's where the collection is going to live. I figure it'll take me a ways to fill all three drawers up. Atm I have three decks that didn't come in those little cardboard boxes; my favourite two are in pretty silk scarves and the other is in a bag. The ones who did come in their own boxes just have to tough it out.

Ooh, those drawers are in beautiful shape! Great find!

My Steampunk Tarot is in a lined handsewn bag of purple plaid wool, and it gets wrapped in a plain silk hankie before I slide it into the bag (it has a couple of crystals and a Mardi Gras token in there for company.) I have plans for a different kind of wrap/pouch for it that would fold out into a tarot cloth long enough to lay out a 3 card spread, but sewing is one of those things I really hate to do, so it hasn't happened yet.

The oracle decks so far are either in their original boxes or included organza bags, though the Earth Magic deck arriving today has a velveteen drawstring bag decorated with embroidered sari fabric waiting for it.

Then there's my Story Forge deck--a writers' deck that is neither Tarot nor Oracle--which has a gorgeous black, red, and gold wrap-pouch, and then resides in its own antique, inlaid box I've had since childhood.

I really covet some of the bags and pouches I've seen linked here and those sold on etsy. I keep thinking part of the reason I want more decks is actually just an excuse to get more bags!

skipbosco

socks. my thoth deck lives in an acorn sock...which is a colorful fleece thang.

karlwb

I keep my cards in the original boxes but they do get ratty after a while. I'm thinking of deconstructing the boxes and laminating some sort of material on both sides. I did take some self adhesive transparent laminating sheet and put it on a standard playing card box for a test but that looks a little cheap.
I have an RWS deck that came in a BIG box that I found cumbersome. I enlisted the talents of my daughter to sew me up a "box". Still in progress.
I keep my small collection of decks in a leather briefcase but wrap individual boxes in a "reading cloth" and put that in a bag for travel.
I've attempted to make a box out various card stocks but have yet to find any stock I was happy with. It's a back burner project.