The Book of The Law Study Group 3.11

Grigori

Aiwass said:
11. This shall be your only proof. I forbid argument. Conquer! That is enough. I will make easy to you the abstruction from the ill-ordered house in the Victorious City. Thou shalt thyself convey it with worship, o prophet, though thou likest it not. Thou shalt have danger & trouble. Ra-Hoor-Khu is with thee. Worship me with fire & blood; worship me with swords & with spears. Let the woman be girt with a sword before me: let blood flow to my name. Trample down the Heathen; be upon them, o warrior, I will give you of their flesh to eat!

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group

Aeon418

This is one of my favourite verses. :D

AL III:11 - Kaph and verse 156 in the book as a whole.

Kaph is the Palm. It is the place were the latent potential within the Yod(Hand) is actualised. (Yod spelt in full, YVD = 20. Kaph = 20)
Kaph, spelt KPh is also the initials of Kteis-Phallos.
The value of the letter Kaph spelt in full is 100. This may be relevant to the next verse via the number 1001 in a sort of coming full circle kind of way.
The letter Kaph can also be spelt with a Peh final which gives a value of 820. This refers to the Hand (Yod - YVD, 20) and the Bow (QShTh, Qasshat - 800). Arrows that are "shot prematurely" miss the mark. ;)
This is also the reason why Crowley subtitled Liber O , Manus et Sagittae - the Hand and the Bow.

Atu X Fortune is attributed to the letter Kaph. It is the wheel of change, O. In my opinion this verse represents Ordeal X. The winners of this Ordeal are worthy to bear the Grail of Babalon(156). But only if they are Strong enough. In this context I definitely see Crowley's description of the 5 of Wands - Strife. The Lion-Leo battling against the restriction of Saturn/Binah in order to prove his worth. For only the Beast 666 is Strong }) enough to be ridden hard by the Lady Babalon, the Victorious Queen. (Atu XI Lust)

Note the tone of disappointment in Nuit's voice in AL I:51.
Let him enter in turn or at once the four gates; let him stand on the floor of the palace. Will he not sink? Amn. Ho! warrior, if thy servant sink?
No Lady appreciates a "sinking servant". ??? :laugh: But Hadit has the answer in AL 2:70. !!! :thumbsup:
Wisdom says: be strong! Then canst thou bear more joy.
On to the verse itself. This is verse 11 and this instantly makes me think of AL I:60.
My number is 11, as all their numbers who are of us.
This shall be your only proof. I forbid argument. Conquer! That is enough.
This line is obviously a continuation of the previous verse. Argument suggests an airy, intellectual debate. But R.H.K. urges us to just get on with the work of Conquering. Work for the sake of the work, and don't lust for results.
An obsolete usage of the word argument is evidence or proof. This could mean that we should forget looking for other proofs. The proof of this pudding is in the eating. So get on with it and stop this ego resistance. A bit like AL II:11 where Crowley/the ego gets a slap for hating the hand and the pen (both symbols of Yod).

I will make easy to you the abstruction from the ill-ordered house in the Victorious City.
The ill-ordered house may refer to verse 2 which is Beth-House. In that verse we see division hither homeward, a word not known, defunct spelling and all not being aught. This is symbolic of the condition of the un-initiate. Basically it's a mess. From this disorder an abstruction is to be made. Abstruction is a strange word. I take it to mean building something, but away or removed some how. We are the raw material for this abstruction. From this we try to build something better, and according to a plan this time.

One of Crowley's interpretations for this line was his arranging for copying of the Stele of Revealing. In a symbolic sense this what the aspirant is trying to do as well. They are trying to copy, or manifest the Stele in their lives.

Thou shalt thyself convey it with worship, o prophet, though thou likest it not. Thou shalt have danger & trouble.
To me this line represents the struggles inherent in the work. Also it's cyclical nature as represented in Atu X Fortune. (Dr. David Shoemaker gave a good talk on cycles and obstacles on a recent podcast. ;)) Convey = Hermanubis? Danger and Trouble = Typhon.
As you try to progress with the work you inevitably reach impasses, stuck points, and awful dry spells. It's part of a cyclical process that makes you Stronger, as long as you maintain the will to keep moving forward. Even if sometimes it seems completely hopeless. It's only at the point of restriction that growth occurs. But you have to keep fighting.

Ra-Hoor-Khu is with thee.
This is worth remembering when the going gets tough. Even though everything seems dark during the Apophis-Typhon phase, the Angel is there with you. Urging you on. Go on! Go on! in my strength!

Worship me with fire & blood; worship me with swords & with spears.
Fire - light and energy.
Blood - life.
Swords - words.
Spears - deeds/actions.

Let the woman be girt with a sword before me
There are quite a few possible interpretations of this. To me it brings to mind Atu VIII Adjustment. It speaks of seeking balance amid the trials and tribulations. Another way to look at it is that the Woman represents the Nephesh, the subconscious. This must be armed with the Sword of Reason. Intuition is not always an infallible guide. This is very important in astral work. Any visions must be analysed with reason.

let blood flow to my name.
Dedicate you life to the work of Ra-Hoor-Khuit. I also think a sexual interpretation is present here.

Trample down the Heathen; be upon them, o warrior, I will give you of their flesh to eat!
The Heathen are the Godless. They could be interpreted as the aspects of ourselves that resist the work. Through the work we are frequently brought face to face with obstructive aspects of self. These must be confronted and integrated (consumed) if balance is to be achieved.
Like the old saying goes, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Aeon418

Circle Squared

Ordeal X is first mentioned in verse 22. This corresponds to the letter Tav.

Spelt in full Tav is ThV - 406

Add to that the letter Kaph spelt in full. KPh - 100.

100 + 406 = 506

506 = ShVR - OX, bull, Taurus.

AL I:46. Nothing is a secret key of this law. Sixty-one the Jews call it; I call it eight, eighty, four hundred & eighteen.
8 + 80 + 418 = 506

Aeon418

ShVR by Tarot is:

Shin - XX The Aeon

Vav - V The Hierophant

Resh - XIX The Sun

XX + V + XIX = XLIV (44)

44 is the special number Horus. It is also the value of the Hebrew word, DM, blood. Also TLH, Lamb, and YLD, Child.

4 x 11 = 44. This can mean the 4 elements multiplied by the Qlipphoth. It is symbolic of the corruption of the created world. (Mind/Ego?)

But...

4 x 11 (the number of magick) = 44. Crowley says that this symbolises an attack on the 4 (elements) by the 11 of magick. "Without shedding of blood there is no remission."
ADM - Adam. Shed the blood (A-DM) and you only have Aleph - the Ox.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1736537&postcount=38

44 is also the number of the Phoenix. The mythical bird that self-immolates, but is born again and rises from the ashes of it's own body.
Luke 9:24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
This is one of my favourite verses. :D"

This is a huge verse. It figures. :laugh:

Aeon418 said:
Worship me with fire & blood; worship me with swords & with spears.
Fire - light and energy.
Blood - life.
Swords - words.
Spears - deeds/actions.
This is a helpful road into what seems at first to be pretty harsh.

Aeon418 said:
Trample down the Heathen; be upon them, o warrior, I will give you of their flesh to eat!
The Heathen are the Godless. They could be interpreted as the aspects of ourselves that resist the work. Through the work we are frequently brought face to face with obstructive aspects of self. These must be confronted and integrated (consumed) if balance is to be achieved.
Like the old saying goes, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

I never could get very worked up over the flesh eating in this line. It always reminded me of Psalms 23:5. It always made sense to me that mine enemies were inner. It's just that I couldn't much sense of it past that back then.

There is a lot to process in this verse. It's nice to have a few footholds.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
This is a huge verse. It figures. :laugh:
A lot of people who read The Book of Law report feeling attracted towards certain verses. For me it turned out to be this verse. I can't really explain why. I just like it. I remember one day it was going round and around in my mind. I just couldn't drop it. A bit like a mantra I suppose.

Then a while back I saw a copy of Jim Eshelman's, Thelemic Tephilah. It's a selection of readings from the Thelemic Holy Books spread throughout the year.
http://aumha.org/arcane/tephilah.htm
Guess which verse corresponds with my birthday? It cemented the deal and we've been happily married ever since. :D
I'm talking about the verse, not Jim. :laugh:
Always Wondering said:
I never could get very worked up over the flesh eating in this line. It always reminded me of Psalms 23:5. It always made sense to me that mine enemies were inner. It's just that I couldn't much sense of it past that back then.
Here's one way to look at it that you might find helpful.

The unbalanced aspects of the Sephiroth are called the Qlipphoth - shells, husks. As you attempt to work the Sephiroth you are suddenly confronted by the unbalanced, qlipphotic aspects of yourself. To attain balance in any Sephirot you must re-integrate and re-absorb these unbalanced parts. The re-absorbtion of these "husks" could be likened to eating the flesh (outer skin) of the Heathen aspects of yourself.

Eating your enemies makes you Stronger! })

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
A lot of people who read The Book of Law report feeling attracted towards certain verses. For me it turned out to be this verse. I can't really explain why. I just like it. I remember one day it was going round and around in my mind. I just couldn't drop it. A bit like a mantra I suppose.

Then a while back I saw a copy of Jim Eshelman's, Thelemic Tephilah. It's a selection of readings from the Thelemic Holy Books spread throughout the year.
http://aumha.org/arcane/tephilah.htm
Guess which verse corresponds with my birthday? It cemented the deal and we've been happily married ever since. :D
I'm talking about the verse, not Jim. :laugh:

Thanks for the link. The verse that has always drawn me is 1:57. This corresponds to my sobriety birthday of all things.

Aeon418 said:
Here's one way to look at it that you might find helpful.

The unbalanced aspects of the Sephiroth are called the Qlipphoth - shells, husks. As you attempt to work the Sephiroth you are suddenly confronted by the unbalanced, qlipphotic aspects of yourself. To attain balance in any Sephirot you must re-integrate and re-absorb these unbalanced parts. The re-absorbtion of these "husks" could be likened to eating the flesh (outer skin) of the Heathen aspects of yourself.

Eating your enemies makes you Stronger! })

It does help. If I don't think about it to hard. :laugh:

AW

Always Wondering

First of all, I am surprised this thread is only 7 posts long. :bugeyed:
But I guess I'm about to change that.

Aeon418 said:
One of Crowley's interpretations for this line was his arranging for copying of the Stele of Revealing. In a symbolic sense this what the aspirant is trying to do as well. They are trying to copy, or manifest the Stele in their lives.

I guess I don't understand what this means. I will go read about the Stele again. And listen to Shoemaker.

Aeon418

Arrrrgghhh!!! :(

I nearly finished my reply and then the forum glitched and my post vanished into the aether.

I'll try again later after my walk. *sigh* :neutral:

ravenest

First of all, I am surprised this thread is only 7 posts long. :bugeyed:
But I guess I'm about to change that.

I guess I don't understand what this means. I will go read about the Stele again. And listen to Shoemaker.

One way .... one ... is to do Liber resh 4 times a day and chant the invocation on the stele, I found it more effect to do so in Egyptian. Then there are the actual dynamics of what is going on in the invocation , and the reflected processes in yourself . Eg .

Appear on the throne of Ra!
Open the ways of the Khu!
Lighten the ways of the Ka!
The ways of the Khabs run through
To stir me or still me!
Aum! let it fill me!

The light is mine; its rays consume
Me: I have made a secret door
Into the House of Ra and Tum,
Of Khephra and of Ahathoor.

On a deeper level , Libers Nu and Had .....

or just holding the basic Thelemic 'theological' 'triangular arrangement' in consciousness ( with yourself as the fourth principle ) .

3 : 4 .... an underlying principle throughout nature .