Seti 1st Tomb ceiling

ravenest

Not in my opinion . It seems nothing like it to me. What similarities do you see . Maybe I am missing something ?

KV17 - the tomb (as far as we know ) was certainly a new innovation and still spectacular . The ceiling is a depiction of the night sky decans . Aso depicted is 'The Litany of Re ' , the King 'worshipping ' Re, hathor, Osiris and Isis, the Book of Gates and other sections from the collections that came to be known as The Egyptian Book of the Dead (tomb versions ) .

It also has architectural innovations for the first time depicted within its 2 level structure ... and other things which a bit off this topic .

The Universe card is also a collection of sources ; the ' architecture' at the bottom is a type of elemental periodic table, the woman in the centre is a central Thelemic icon, the 4 'beasts', in the corner have Biblical origin , etc .

earthair

KV17 - the tomb (as far as we know ) was certainly a new innovation and still spectacular . The ceiling is a depiction of the night sky decans . et.

Exactly. And that's what Harris painted. But instead of in a straight line, it's circular so we are looking up out of the tomb.
Same colours, same number of gold lines. The VVVVVV legs of the people are reduced to the zigzag lines on the tarot card. The stars have been re-positioned.

Attachments

• seti 1 tomb.jpg
    seti 1 tomb.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 299

Snaut

I had to think of the Aeon card instead of the universe.
In particular, the Nuit-sky thing, which bends itself over the ceiling, and the Hadit wing-thing in the center.

But maybe I am missing something. Most of my knowledge about egyptian history comes from listening to the band nile.

Abrac

Snaut I was having trouble finding any connection myself. The Aeon does seem to resemble the tomb more.

earthair

Hopefully this will help.

Attachments

• thoth alongside seti ceiling.jpg
    thoth alongside seti ceiling.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 282

Abrac

Thanks for that pic, I see what you mean now!

ravenest

Ahhh ... I see, what inspired that particular PART OF the card's artwork .

There are a lot of changes , but I can see what you mean .

Somewhere in the ( Greco-Egyptian ) process, the lineal Egyptian Zodiac got converted / compared to the circular one - see Dendera Zodiac.

Either Crowley / Harris used this innovation, or it comes from another 'half way' process between the two historically , not that I know of one .

What is your source on this earthair ? Or did you just pick up the similarities yourself ?

It seems like a GD exercise - putting the asterisms on a sidereal Zodiac . But the card seems to have grouped them in asterisms while the lineal zodiac just shows them in number , have you done a comparison on each segment ?

Interesting .

earthair

Ahhh ... I see, what inspired that particular PART OF the card's artwork .

There are a lot of changes , but I can see what you mean .

Somewhere in the ( Greco-Egyptian ) process, the lineal Egyptian Zodiac got converted / compared to the circular one - see Dendera Zodiac.

Either Crowley / Harris used this innovation, or it comes from another 'half way' process between the two historically , not that I know of one .

What is your source on this earthair ? Or did you just pick up the similarities yourself ?

It seems like a GD exercise - putting the asterisms on a sidereal Zodiac . But the card seems to have grouped them in asterisms while the lineal zodiac just shows them in number , have you done a comparison on each segment ?

Interesting .

Well...I was researching my Magic Circles project- (which at the moment has gone off in a temple tangent while I look at temples which are oriented towards sun/stars/moon/solstices)...and as soon as I saw the ceiling of the Seti tomb, I thought "I've seen that before on the Universe card!" Those V shaped bits have always bugged me. Now I know they are simplified legs I can sleep easier :party:

I haven't done a comparison on each segment.

I was looking at Dendera Zodiac just a few days ago! I'll go back over that again now...

Iscariot

Nice.

This does ring a bell somewhere in my mind, having read something about this somewhere but my memory seems to fail me.

Anyway, the similarities are obvious. But it appears there are too many decans depicted on the card. So maybe this is merely an abstraction of the painted ceiling.

However, if you count the 'ribs' of the wheel on the card so to speak (forming arrow shapes along the lines of the V-shaped legs) there seem to be 72 boxes. It's hard to count them, being partially obstructed by the sun and snake, so correct me if I'm wrong.

So, 72 being 2x36 decans always appeared to me as an interesting number.
There are three rows of boxes. So 3x72=216

Oh, dear... dusting off those crazy books on the holy numbers game...

There's -of course- this whole names of God thing, the 72-fold name, and the angels of the Shemhamphorash. 72 x 3 sets of letters being the 216 lettered name of G.

216=6x6x6, so 666.

Also, 6+6+6=18, 1+8=9, 9 being the funniest number of them all.

And, back to the decans, 216:36=6 (If a six were to be nine ;)).
...6 sets of decans? -I'm clueless! What springs to my mind is the 6 directions of the cube of space (north, east, south, west, up, down) with it's associated Hebrew letters and corresponding tarot cards. (So, would that be like a sixfold interlocking of decans, like interlocking trees of life?)

What does it all mean? I don't know. Maybe it's just meant to be beautiful. Enlighten me, please.

Sorry for rambling on there, this card has so many wonderful secrets to it :)...