1 or 2 decks? (why not 1000 ? :)

Krakken

There was this one time, where I did a reading for this girl about this creepy guy she didn't like, and she started stabbing at the card that represented him over and over with a sharp object, and I had to stop her! This isn't voodoo or some satanic ritual we're doing here! .

Some tarot readers recomend to let the querent shuffeling the cards, cause would "set" their thought there" and so, we would "read their life". i dont do that. as you ... i dont have idea where those hands has been before. hah.

XD..... Next time only skype reading with that girl stabbing your card..

Thanks for your experience :).

Krakken

I rotate around 30 (maybe even more) to do regular readings with.

Hi Le Fanu

How do you do it? choosing ramdonly? or "this specific deck for this specific person".?

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Le Fanu

No logic at all. Just whatever takes my fancy!

Krakken

Hi! I use my decks for anyone and everyone who wants a reading or just wants to take a look at the cards ... until a friend of mine gifted me her Thoth deck. The more I work with it and the more I understand it, the more it becomes "my precious" and I am not sure I would use it for another people or let them touch it.

That´s interesting ... i didnt know that second hand tarot would work well as one given as a present or purchased by yourself. :)

Thanks for your feedback.

plant witch

I'm a sucker for artwork and am quick to buy new decks if the art resonates with me. this is exactly what happened with my second and third decks. after purchase, I find that each deck has strengths that makes them suited for certain types of readings. for example I use my shadowscape tarot heavily for intuitive readings but I find that my RWS just doesn't work in that setting. and my fairytale tarot works best with lighthearted questions.

I've never considered the possibility of having a deck "just for myself" but it makes a great deal of sense when I think of the times that I've tried to do a reading for a friend with my RWS and it ended up being about me! a bit embarrassing to be honest [emoji14]. My RWS once belonged to my grandmother so I'm not quick to take it out for others in the first place.

madhatter00o

I'm a sucker for artwork and am quick to buy new decks if the art resonates with me. this is exactly what happened with my second and third decks. after purchase, I find that each deck has strengths that makes them suited for certain types of readings.

This happens to me all the time! I'm barely proficient in reading the cards, but I've already accumulated decks much more quickly than I'd expected. (Not that I have that many, but still...)

Since I don't have anyone to read for, I don't so much have to personal/public reading divide so much as the reading/meditation divide. My "art" decks (illustrated by my favourite artists) are more for meditation, as I never get tired of staring at them.

However, some of the illustrators were contracted without particular understanding of the Tarot, so meanings aren't always immediately evident in the images; it makes them a little more time-consuming and mentally taxing to read unless I'm well prepared. I tend to use them for important readings, ones that I expect to spend a lot of time pondering anyways.

In general, I use the RWS for everyday readings, as it's easier to understand.

Frey27

I have Tarot decks that I use only for myself, hiding them away, and others that are either collectible's or for others to be able to look at, and get readings with. My main decks are my first Tarot decks ever, never to be touched or shuffled by another human. I also have study decks that I will not do serious readings with, only for practice, a couple of those are the decks that others can look at, and get a quick simple reading with. They are kept in different places that are out in the open so that I see them often. Probably confusing to most people but when I first started out I only had one single Tarot deck for 11 years. I learned from that deck and only use it for myself due to it's sentimental value, the deck that opened a new world to me, that being the Thoth deck. I still have other Thoth decks that are out in the open and can be used for readings and study. I do feel that keeping a personal deck makes it more magical, treating it as sacred, makes it sacred. Just as with any divination tool, I feel the same about Runes and never keep them out in the open. Lenormand is the only deck I don't treat as sacred because it's just different. Can be left out anywhere and not in any special bag or box. Doesn't really matter, it's the deck to carry everywhere, that's why it's smaller and very quick to give precise answers. Lenormand is not Tarot though, it is not so esoteric. Now just because I choose to do these things with different oracles, doesn't make any of the techniques right or wrong, it's just what feel's right to me. Hope you find what works for you.

Thunder

That´s interesting ... i didnt know that second hand tarot would work well as one given as a present or purchased by yourself. :)

Thanks for your feedback.
Oh yeah, it works just fine. I did cleansing of the deck - which is something I usually don't do, but because it was owned by another person it had their energy so I just removed it with cleansing. And you are welcome for the feedback, it's interesting topic. [emoji4]

DesertDream

Hi.

How do you keep it; box, bag, cloth?

Mine is next to my bed in a silk cloth! funny thing is ,. i pulled a card to know what´s my deck "thought" about that cloth and the card that comes out was<, 5 of cup. LOL. Its not happy to be keep there. so im looking for other option.

All kept in original boxes. I got six decks in a fancy box and the rest in a cardboard plain box. Look at the how do you store your cards thread for more detail. As much as i love material and bags and cloths for some reason im very practical with storing them. They seem content. As long as tarot is placed in a respected place then thats all i need. One oracle is kept on my altar though in its original extremly hard box. I use it for devotional purposes.

Morwenna

I've never earmarked any deck as *only* for myself, though most of them I haven't had occasion to use for others. Some of them I've only studied and not read with, which is not to say I won't; I'm just too much of a dilettante to get at it every day. (Or sometimes even every week.) Some decks strike me as not appropriate for certain groups of people, and I do have a tendency to associate certain decks with a particular time of year or weather condition.

But I don't associate decks with types of questions. If I'm trying out a new deck, I use the most familiar spreads; if I'm trying out a new spread, I use one of the most basic or familiar decks.