Best Tarot Card Printer?

gregory

Good catch. They are indeed the same company.

gregory

Partly because I happen to know, partly by following links. I think it was to have a more US base?

MandMaud

Partly because I happen to know, partly by following links. I think it was to have a more US base?

I didn't see any links between the two; MakePlayingCards also ships from the USA. But I had a thought: maybe tax or insurance or some other overhead depends on how much they ship or their turnover, so it makes financial sense to have two companies in the smaller category rather than one larger.

Not terribly important to my life anyway, was just curious. :)

blue_fusion

I recently came across www.drivethrucards.com - seems legit. They currently offer playing card-sized decks though it says on their site that they're to offer tarot-sized ones too this year. (And for collectors: they have a couple of tarot decks by different folks up on their site, though I've yet to explore that section thoroughly). They seem to offer print-on-demand rates at slightly lower costs than their competitors. Anyone here have a deck printed by them?

Www.thegamecrafter.com have recently updated their cardstock to playing card quality - carbon core and 310gsm (I think).

blue_fusion

I would also just like to share this.

I've recently finished designs for a playing card deck and am currently reading up on options on self-publishing it. One thing I learned is that I noticed thst folks on that side of the fence have different standards than in the tarot world. I was surprised to find out that Makeplayingcards's stock (and by extension, Printerstudio's) is only considered 'passable' to them. I guess it's because playing card users tend to shuffle their decks more? Theg have a different set of printers which they consider as 'industry standards'.

Some other differences I noticed:

1. Shuffle-ability is VERY important.
2. Along with black core stock (so other players won't see through the back of your cards)
3. Art is also important, but in my research, the types/style of art that playing card folks look for seem tl have a much narrower range than in tarot's.
4. Registration is very important. While a slight offset may be passable to some tarot folks. (Or not?)

reall

hm I know MPC and PS are twins!^^ lolz but it seems MPC is bit more advanced!^^ ;))

@bluefusion good find! but not sure they post everywhere?
luv how that UV coat sound?x,x if anyone have experience with that share!^^:))

gregory

I didn't see any links between the two; MakePlayingCards also ships from the USA. But I had a thought: maybe tax or insurance or some other overhead depends on how much they ship or their turnover, so it makes financial sense to have two companies in the smaller category rather than one larger.

Not terribly important to my life anyway, was just curious. :)
For the record - as it was VERY important to my decision - PS ship in bulk to hubs around the world, and decks are shipped on to buyers from there. This means that individual buyers do not get hit with customs charges as they do with decks from Gamecrafter - that is a killer, for me - I have SO often had to pay out almost the amount the deck cost me :(

Ly - their stock seems fine to me - would you like me to send you a blank card in each ?

blue_fusion

For the record - as it was VERY important to my decision - PS ship in bulk to hubs around the world, and decks are shipped on to buyers from there. This means that individual buyers do not get hit with customs charges as they do with decks from Gamecrafter - that is a killer, for me - I have SO often had to pay out almost the amount the deck cost me :(

Ly - their stock seems fine to me - would you like me to send you a blank card in each ?

Thanks for the offer, but I am totally fine with their stock. :D I was just pointing out what playing card collectors think of it. They do, however, concede to the fact rhat MPC has been improving a lot in terms of stock, and may one day catch up with the printers playing card collectors prefer, like LPCC, and a couple of others (with acronyns such as USPCC, etc...c lol).

ETA - Oh wait, were you referring to drivethrucards' stock?

gregory

Thanks for the offer, but I am totally fine with their stock. :D I was just pointing out what playing card collectors think of it. They do, however, concede to the fact rhat MPC has been improving a lot in terms of stock, and may one day catch up with the printers playing card collectors prefer, like LPCC, and a couple of others (with acronyns such as USPCC, etc...c lol).

ETA - Oh wait, were you referring to drivethrucards' stock?

No, my love :* - I only know the ps stock as that's what my cards are in.