AVOID Barnes & Noble!!!!

firecatpickles

Here is my nightmare.

I sent this E-mail to customer service.

Boycott Barnes & Noble!

To Whom It May Concern,

I need to know why my current order #********** hasn't been processed.

This week I spent a total of about an hour and a half trying to work out why one order (from another account) needed autorization and why your customer service reps hung up on me TWICE.

The first time I called was in reference to order ********* (this order has been completely canceled). I was told by a sales rep that there was authorization required because of an outstanding balance of $5.95 that was declined by Pay Pal on August **, 2007. The rep told me that I had to resolve this issue with Pay Pal and that she could not tell me where I needed to send the funds to barnes and noble in order for her to authorize this order to be processed (i.e., order *************). I called Pay Pal and confirmed with them that your company had been paid [...] on August **, 2007 for order ***********, Uinque Transaction ID #**********.

When I called B&N back, after being on hold for an additional 20 minutes, the second person did not know what I was talking about and the line was disconnected after having been on the phone for an ADDITIONAL 30 minutes. I was on hold while she "checked on" the status of order number *******.

Again I called back, this time being on hold for about 10 minutes. Frustrated, I hung up and called back, this time to cancel order *********. It was canceled and my gift card reimbursed the $40.

When I got home a few minutes later, I decided to re-place the order through another account. I IMMEDIATELY got another "autorization required" E-mail! I say IMMEDIATELY because it was less than 5 minutes after I placed this order. (We are now talking about order ********.) THIS IS AN ORDER FROM AN ACCOUNT FROM WHICH I HAVE NEVER ORDERED ANYTHING FROM.

When I called back (about 4:15 on Monday), I talked to a very rude customer service rep who asked me why I had two accounts with B&N and who insisted that I still owed you $5.45!!!!!? I told her it was none of her business why I had two accounts and she HUNG UP ON ME! IS THIS THE WAY YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS??????

I called BACK (for the fifth time?) and I talked to a supervisor (I was on hold for an additional 10 minutes). The supervisor I spoke with said she submitted paperwork to have order ********** processed and that I would get a confirmation E-mail about everything we discussed. None of these things has happened. This was TWO DAYS AGO and I have hear hide nor hair ever since.

Again, the order number is ************.

If I do not have my order processed within 24 hours and an E-mail confirming that the order has been processed, I will contact the Better Business Bureau in your State for further action.

In addition, I will publicly denounce B & N on EVERY chat Forum that I belong to and tell them what a NIGHTMARE experience it has been. I will encourage EVERYONE I know to avoid B&N and use amazon and alibris instead for their book needs, companies from which I have had no such problems.

Sincerely,
Mr. ******

BodhiSeed

(((Kilted Kat:heart:))), that was a nightmare! It's bad enough to have all the confusion with an order, but to have to deal with rude customer service folks on top of that is awful! You can sign me up to avoid them...

EarthFaery

What an ordeal KK! Ask to speak with the customer service manager and see if you can get it straightened out with them, they're usually a lot nicer and more willing to work with you, if not do what my mother does and send a copy of the letter certified to the CEO of B & N :D
If you have a store near you, they can order anything you want, I go in and do it cuz the store is right in the plaza I work in, but I'm sure you can call and place an order. It gets shipped to right to the store, 3 days at the most and they call when it's in. I do it all the time, it gets there faster and you don't have to pay for shipping :)

celticnoodle

that is a nightmare, KK. how awful! it's extremely frustrating to go through also when it's you going through it!!

I agree w/SMV. If you can go into the store in person, and place the order, it's easier and quicker. of course you do have to drive to and from the store to order it and then again to pick it up, but if it is in a location near you, then not too big a deal.

Good luck KK. let's hope this mess is cleared up very soon for you! (((KK)))

Silverlyn

Ugh! B & N needs to hire ME, so you (and others) won't have a problem like that occur again! :D

blackroseivy

WOW! :( That is pretty ghastly, KK...

I'd say that I certainly WON'T deal with them online. I don't really use them anyway - Amazon is MY store, + sometimes Biblo.com, Abebooks & Chapters in CA.

WAY out of line... :(

firecatpickles

Well it worked! They claim they were checking their inventory they're so full of it! lol

Scheduled to ship out on the 19th.

Still won't go back there again.

GreenMoonBeam

Why put a customer thro' that cr*p? Sorry it happened to you,KK. As said, I
go right to the top if I get put out with (lack of) customer service.

Being in Australia, I do not use them often but will ensure I boycott them in future.

Grymdycche

You forgot another alternative - Borders.
I like Borders because their membership is totally free. Granted, you don't get discounts off of every book you buy, but they email coupons for members about once a week, and they vary in value from 20% up to, sometimes, 40%! Plus, you get so much credit back after so many purchases too.

I also wouldn't put too much stock in the BBB, they aren't much help, really. Most large companies and corporations are BBB members themselves, and pay dues, so all the Better Business Bureau is likely to do is note your complaint and then have a laugh at your expense along with the rep from the company you're complaining about. They're about worthless, IMO.
They side more with businesses than consumers; if the business pays dues to become a member and is "approved" by the BBB, they have then, in effect, a form of protection from consumers. It's a sham.

In the States, I get vastly more satisfaction by going to my county's Consumer Affairs division - that makes them stand up and take notice of your complaint.

weaver

Another thought for next time; do you have a decent independent bookseller in your area, KK? While it is true that most small stores can't offer the ongoing discounts the big box stores do, most independents more than make up for higher prices in customer service. They are willing to special order any book/deck they don't have in stock and don't impose shipping charges on SO's. My favorite bookseller lets customers decline purchasing special orders if, after viewing, the item doesn't meet the customer's expectations.

Of course, everyone's best way is going to be different, but I actually think I have saved money since I shifted away from shopping at the big stores. When I was getting better "deals", I'd buy more to either become eligible for "free shipping" OR just buy stuff I really didn't need or want because I was getting such a good buy. In my home, those extra things inevitably ended up collecting dust.

Now, if my local small businesses can't access whatever it is I want, I try to buy from small independently run online businesses (such as Tarot Garden). So far, since adopting this approach, I have enjoyed really positive customer service experiences.

Whatever path your shopping takes, I hope all of your future purchases unfold seamlessly!

Sue