Tarot and Psychology: Spectrums of Possibility

foolMoon

"Tarot as a Way of Life" by Karen H. is also good. The book treats each card from Psychological point of view. Jung's Psychology influence is prevalent. Very easy read.

happyfish

The best book on tarot and psychology that I've seen is Jung and Tarot by Sallie Nichols. It's heavy, slow reading, but good, solid scholarship, with no fluff. Many of the tarot illustrations are from the Tarot de Marseille, which may be a turn off for some people.

I have this one as well. DamianStraton, I agree, this might be more up your alley if you're looking for a detailed description of the cards. It's just the Majors though - and like LRichard said, it uses the Marseille deck.

jean bosco

I second Karen Hamaker-Zondag. Useful insights into the minor arcana also and easy to follow. I took notes while reading because I wanted to really get it. The psychlogical/jungian approach is present throughout the book. Interesting connections are drawn also between dreams and the meaning of the numbers. Sometimes I wished for a little more detail.

jean bosco

adding 1 book

Or you could also have a look into "Spiritual Tarot" by S.E. Echols, R. Mueller and S.A. Thomson. The authors dig deep into the meaning/issue of the cards. And as far as my understanding goes it's got lots of psychology in it. To me the title doesn't feel 100% fitting.

DamianStraton

The best book on tarot and psychology that I've seen is Jung and Tarot by Sallie Nichols. It's heavy, slow reading, but good, solid scholarship, with no fluff. Many of the tarot illustrations are from the Tarot de Marseille, which may be a turn off for some people.

Thank you, LRichard. I was looking for a book based on the RWS, though I think Jung and Tarot may be worth a read.

DamianStraton

"Tarot as a Way of Life" by Karen H. is also good. The book treats each card from Psychological point of view. Jung's Psychology influence is prevalent. Very easy read.

I second Karen Hamaker-Zondag. Useful insights into the minor arcana also and easy to follow. I took notes while reading because I wanted to really get it. The psychlogical/jungian approach is present throughout the book. Interesting connections are drawn also between dreams and the meaning of the numbers. Sometimes I wished for a little more detail.

Or you could also have a look into "Spiritual Tarot" by S.E. Echols, R. Mueller and S.A. Thomson. The authors dig deep into the meaning/issue of the cards. And as far as my understanding goes it's got lots of psychology in it. To me the title doesn't feel 100% fitting.

Thank you, fullMoon and jean bosco. I will check those out.

DamianStraton

Update

Ended up getting the book. It is extremely interesting but it reads like a textbook. Very academic but no complaints there. Meanings are good but psychology-oriented. No complaints here either. If by now you suspect a complaint is coming up, you are absolutely right. Here it is (drum roll):

During the sample readings I felt like his interpretations were derived more from his knowledge about the patients than the cards themselves. That's kind of a biggie and I felt that, with a little more effort he could have built stories that are grounded more on the meanings of the cards. Now, he does put the meanings in his vignettes, but often times they don't fit his comments so well.

Anyway, it is still a good book. Haven't finished it, but I'm getting there.

Teheuti

During the sample readings I felt like his interpretations were derived more from his knowledge about the patients than the cards themselves. That's kind of a biggie and I felt that, with a little more effort he could have built stories that are grounded more on the meanings of the cards. Now, he does put the meanings in his vignettes, but often times they don't fit his comments so well.
I think that's one of the points about a psychological approach to Tarot, is that although you may have learned all the meanings, when you are actually working with a client you take your cues from the client and the situation. To roughly paraphrase Jung: 'Learn everything you can about myth and symbols and then forget it all when interpreting a dream.' Finding the personal meaning in a symbol may be more important than any learned meaning.

DamianStraton

I think that's one of the points about a psychological approach to Tarot, is that although you may have learned all the meanings, when you are actually working with a client you take your cues from the client and the situation. To roughly paraphrase Jung: 'Learn everything you can about myth and symbols and then forget it all when interpreting a dream.' Finding the personal meaning in a symbol may be more important than any learned meaning.

On second thought. Wow, you are my favorite author Mary K Greer! Just saw your profile, so I can't argue with you!